• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bike Humming - even when shut off

rhip

Just got it firing!
30 mile ride tonight, about 75 degrees (finally!), when I parked and shut the bike off I notice a humming coming from under the tank - sounded a bit louder on the right side. It goes for about 3 seconds, stops, then after about 15-20 seconds, it repeats. Is this normal? It;s not the fuel pump (I turned the ignition on, different sound). It almost sounds lie the kind of small fan a computer has when it get warm - what is this, and is it an issue? It's obviously drawing some current, and I don't want a dead battery. Thanks!

Everybody knows these Italian gals love to Hummmmm....
But seriously folks. Hellooo, Helloooo
Till you remove the check valve in the vent tube she's gonna hummmm... :lol:

My 2013 stelvio is doing that. I meant to have the dealer check it. So far my battery is fine. Wierd.. I know.

Vivo

+1 to Toadriders comment.

Its the pressure in the tank building up from the fuel and then releasing through the anti tip vent check valve. Perfectly normal. If you open the gas cap you will here the vapors escape and the noise will stop until it builds up again. There has been past experience with this valve stick and causing problems with the tank. Do a search on canistorectomy and it will explain it all. Unless you are in california, you don't need the vent valve or vapor recovery canister so it can come out. Just one more thing to go wrong

When you shut the bike off, you are likely hearing the stepper motor reset, unless it goes on for longer then say 30 seconds max. Then you might have a more serious problem.

Back when I still had the garbage turn signals in the mirrors, I had the bulbs fail a couple of times. When that happened, I would get a bulb fail indicator on the dash. When that happened, and after turning off the key, the stepper motor would occasionally run. About every 10 seconds, the stepper motor would reset. "RATTTTTTTTTTTTLE"
What one thing had to do with the other, I don't know, but it did. After replacing the bulb, the problem went away.

After the hum continued when I turned the ignition on and then off, I thought about pressure in the tank. I opened the cap, and of course the pressurized contents made a slight whoosh as they escaped. Closed the cap and the noise continued. I don't know enough about the fuel system to know if there are other pressurized components that would not be released just by opening the gas cap. This is more of a whine, (like my posts) not a rattle. The noise only lasts about 3 seconds, then 15-20 seconds of silence, then it buzzes again.

Does any one read my posts?
As stated, it is the Stepper motor used for idle control. If it does it more then once as you state above after 30 seconds, the dealer should look into it. Do a search to uncover some that were problematic. If it does it just as you stated above, it is functioning normally.

My Stelvio does the same buzz. It buzzes and stops for a half minute and buzzes again, sounds electrical somehow... it doesn't stop because I've waited five minutes and cycled the ignition but the sounds continued.

Forgot to mention it on my first service but they owe me a fuel tank, faring and clock set . The instrurment face bubbled... when I get the new stuff Ill mention the buzzing..

Vivo

Open your gas cap and leave it open for 5 minutes. If the buzzing, whinning, rattling stops with the cap open then it is your vent. If it doesn't stop it is your stepper motor.

When you put the cap back on it will continue to whine until the warmed gas is done evaporating and creating pressure in the tank. I have had mine do it for an hour after a long hot ride. The fuller the tank, the longer the whine. You can actually get it to do it by shaking the bike on a hot day. It is enough to disturb the gas and crat vapours and pressure. Once I removed the check valve/relief valve the noise stopped.

I like the sound it makes once I park the bike in the garage as I get a kick out of how it entertains my dog - he sure gets a curious look on face, ears cocked, head tilts from side to side. LOL
Sounds like there is a Big Bad Ass bumble bee pissed off at the world stuck up in there. I call it my Moto Buz Bee :lol:

Back