• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2001 v11 sport front end swap?

sp838

Just got it firing!
Hello all, brand spanking new Guzzi rider here. I purchased a used 2001 v11 sport, loving it very much, already pondering some upgrades.

I was wondering if it would be relatively easy, or even possible, to swap the front end off my bike and replace it with that of a 2008 (or later) Griso 8v. Has anyone ever done this? I'm not familiar with all the specs, but is there any reason to think that it wouldn't work? Or that it wouldn't be a good idea?

The accompanying question is, where would I get a good used front end? There are lots of options on ebay for other bikes. I'm currently watching some auctions for GSXR front ends for another project. But used Guzzi parts are virtually non existent there (understandably given how much smaller the user base is.) I guess this also begs the question, could the front end of a modern Japanese bike be installed onto the v11 steering neck?

Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited to add: sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, I didn't see a v11 sport section.

The most important part of the swap potential is two things:
1. The stem swap between triple trees to keep the bearings surfaces aligned to the steering head (does it fit without machining and/or shimming), and; 2. The clamping surfaces of the forks. Make sure they are similar. The shorter steering head tube of the V11S stem should be helpful.

I'll take some quick measurements for you in the next few days between the Griso and the V11S. You'd likely need the front wheel and related to keep it simple.

V11's are spine frame bikes, so I reckon this is the right place.
I have already mentioned that I have done a swap putting a GSXR front end on my Daytona. There are others who have done simular swaps. I can't see a Griso front end swap being worth it unless you fall into a Griso front end for cheap. They are usually too much $$$ if you can even find one.
The GSXR front end fit fine. You use tapered bearings from a DRZ 400 (I am sure they fit other bikes but I know that model), 52mm outer/30mm inner. The GSXR steering stem is slightly longer, so a small spacer likely will be needed. I put mine at the top but in hind sight I should have put it under the lower bearing. We have already discussed the different model GSXR forks. My favorite for this sort of thing is the '06-'07 GSXR 600/750. The 750 forks are black with bronze tubes and I like that look. Those foks are also some of the longest of the GSXR forks with the least offset which helps with more trail. You can get offset adjustable triples if you want to drop more $$$. I bought a Brembo RCS master from Todd to go with the GSXR calipers and discs. There are also differences between the years and sizes with regard to brake disc size. Depending on which parts you go with you can end up with 300 to 330 mm brake discs. The nice thing about radial brakes is how easy it is to change disc size, it just comes down to more or less spacer at the caliper mounts. I would stay away from the 330's as they are a pain in the ass to pull off and put on. Make sure the discs you have are for the wheel you have, I seem to recall there are two different bolt patterns.The calipers also vary from year to year and can be mixed and matched as well. I like the 4 pad calipers from the '04 GSXR 1000 (I think that is right), they are gold in color but the thing I like about them is 4 independent pads match to the disc better then 2 pads, but the down side is pads are more $$$.

There is some info here I seem to recall about my swap and another guys swap.
I'll see if I can find it.

Here is some of the info from mine and others who have done this.
https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/199/3290.html
FYI, I ended up going with an Acewell speedo/tach combo unit. There is another thread on that somewhere around here. The Acewell unit is OK but there is another company, SpeedHut,http://www.speedhut.com/, who are very accommodating and if you tell them it is for a bike they will work with you as far as water proofing and what not. They will also do custom graphics and the offer a speedo/tach combo that uses GPS for the speedo (easier wiring).

Hey, sorry for the delayed reply. I stopped checking in here since we got a good discussion going in the other thread... Thanks again for all your help!

Back