• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva Back wheel removal and replacement

rossw

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Got a new back tyre today. Removing the wheel was easier than I'd been led to expect and so the task sort of escalated.

Getting the wheel back on is VERY awkward. Every time I got it lined up one of those little cush drive rubbers would fall out:angry: There's not a lot of room to maneuvre in there.

Holt said:
I usually demount the rear gear/bevelbox with the wheel. Makes it all very easy, and gives you the opportumity to grease the splines, check the break pads - or discover a jammed seal... :(

http://motoguzzimaintenance.wetpaint.co ... el+Removal

I actually did remove the bevelbox as well to grease the splines (seemed like a good idea while I had the wheel off), and then sprayed Lanotec on the rubbers to help it all slide together. I tried putting on the bevelbox with the wheel, but the combination was really heavy and I found it difficult to line up the four studs and the spline on the driveshaft this way. I didn't think of using chocks to support it :oops:

499625077_23e14101f8.jpg

Makes it all a bit easier. :laugh:

It's an amzing piece of lumber. Originally made for supporting a ladder when on the roof. Still have it, and used it today for supporting the bicycle crank, when I used the pursuator for getting the crank arm in its proper place. :mrgreen:

I've had my on and off a dozen times. The one thing I've found is to leave the air out of the tire untill it's installed, that way you don't have to fight it in the swing arm and risk knocking off the rubbers. I use silcone spray to make it easier to slide the wheel on the hub. Good luck

nutman said:
I've had my on and off a dozen times. The one thing I've found is to leave the air out of the tire untill it's installed, that way you don't have to fight it in the swing arm and risk knocking off the rubbers. I use silcone spray to make it easier to slide the wheel on the hub. Good luck

I'll try the deflating trick next time. When I get the tyre fitted, the shop has to inflate it to seat the rim - being a tubeless tyre, but there's nothing stopping me letting the air out again to get it in.

nutman said:
I use silcone spray to make it easier to slide the wheel on the hub. Good luck

Do you Armor All your seat aswell ? :blink: :side:

Er ? I am getting the impression that SOME people on this thread, ( Not All ) do not realize that the rubber buffers, are connected by a rubber strap !
However, by the time, Tire Change ,comes around, the rubber connector, has worn away, leaving 2 separate bits of rubber in each wheel bay.
Trying to goo them in place, with thick grease, is a Hit or Miss situation, while trying to reposition the wheel,and can take forever, as I found out, last year when having to buy a new rear tire, on the trans Alaska Hi Way.
OK I did think the rear would last the trip, but it didn't, so I got caught short.
Normally, I buy a new set of rear buffers, prior to changing the tire, because then its dead simple to get the wheel back in place.
Take Care Out There.

OK, not seeing a Breva 750 mentioned in your bike list, I think it would be a good guess, that the rear buffers, for an 1100, are a heck of a lot bigger and stronger, than the ones used in a 750.
That's presumably why you have not had the problem.

But it is obvious by reading the thread, that other people, on Breva 750's do have the problem.
Riding from Hamilton Ontario, to Hayder in Alaska,and back, does not really get you close to the sea for any significant time, so we can rule that out.
Take care Out There

motoguzziman said:
OK, not seeing a Breva 750 mentioned in your bike list, I think it would be a good guess, that the rear buffers, for an 1100, are a heck of a lot bigger and stronger, than the ones used in a 750.
That's presumably why you have not had the problem.

But it is obvious by reading the thread, that other people, on Breva 750's do have the problem.
Riding from Hamilton Ontario, to Hayder in Alaska,and back, does not really get you close to the sea for any significant time, so we can rule that out.
Take care Out There

Only small block bikes use those darn little buffers. The big blocks wheel attachment is completely different and simple compared to the small blocks. Whoever designed the small block rear wheel fitment should never have a job again.

Ha, Yes.
Those long splines, on the wheel, could have been shortened by 3mm, allowing for a 4 mm connecting strap.
That would give a considerably longer life, to the connector, which, is about 1 mm in reality.
But,In this day and age, where goods are built to self destruct, 5 days after the warranty runs out, the poor guy who designed the lasting buffers for the big blocks, probably got fired. :lol:

The Boss owned had a Breva 750 for years and I did the maintenance on it. I always removed the air before feeding the wheel back in.

Well, I have never had to deflate the tire to get it back in, but then, I undo the base of the left shock absorber, and swing it out of the way ( Looking from the rear of the bike )
Also, if you have been doing this for years, on your Boss's bike, and not had the rear wheel, wear through the connecting strap on the buffers, all I can say is, either your Boss got a lucky set of rear buffers, or he does not push it.
Me, I cross America each year, since 2007, with 2 up and full touring bags, and every time I have had to change rear tires, the connecting strap has been worn through.
http://www.freewebs.com/motoguzzimomma/
and
http://guzzimomma.com/
and
http://motoguzziriders.com/
Thats just 3, out of the list.

:mrgreen: Ha. Yr Welcome!
Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond our control, Momma has to miss out this year.
Its gona be a wierd trip, but ...she will be doing all the photos etc, from base.
Take Care Out There.

... mutter, mutter...doing it my way really does spare those buffers, so what did I say..mutter, mutter... :ugeek:

Holt.
OK I just tried your link, for the first time. and I think one of us has got it wrong.
When I first took my rear wheel off, each buffer set, was in its own "Bay", with the connector strap on the inside, with the open middle part facing out. so obviously after the first tire change, (where not all the buffers were worn through), I put the buffers in, the same way.
So,Next time I change a rear, I will try putting the buffers in, as per the photo in your link, and see if that makes a difference. :idea:
Take Care Out There

Back