• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Guzzi Owner - V7 Racer

speedy08

Just got it firing!
Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself, as I am a new member here and a new friend of a 2013 V7 Racer.

I have spent the last few years on my 07 BMW 650X Challenge, jaunting over mountain passes, hauling donkey down dirt roads, exploring this great country's roads that are less traveled.

A few months ago I set out on a search for a second steed, one to enjoy on the twisties and to commute to the factory on. Having the means to take my hot wifey for a scoot was an added bonus that I was looking forward to also. I wanted a motorbike with character, with a soul that I could feel, something unique that would light up a smile on my face each and every ride.

While browsing curiously through the Guzzi website, my mouth began to drool when I saw the Racer. I had to see one in person. After a quick phone call to my nearest Guzzi palace, I was informed that they only had one left, and that a gent was planning on coming to see it in the next day or two. I was johnny-on-the-spot at the dealership the next morning. I drank my coffee and ate my bagel on their front step before they opened. Test rode the motorbike and came back with a grin bigger than my head. Sold sold sold I sang! Gave the dealer some greenbacks and took it home.

Holy crap gents, in all of my bike riding days why I did not experience this type of sick lust before is unacceptable! Anywhere I go this sweet Italian steed gets more interest than a three legged cat in front of a pack of hungry dogs.

To say that this puppy is a hoot to ride is an understatement. I feel like a fine-tuned cafe racer on this Italian stallion, and I am a goober in real life!

I'll be back with some ride reports, after my journey's this summer. We'll see the French Colonies in Canada, the west coast, UP and coasts of Michigan, and a couple brewery runs here and there when possible.

Looking forward to learning more about Guzzi's and your love for them!

Speedy08,

You are one lucky, lucky guy. The 2013 V7R is desireable.

Here are seventeen sphincter-spasming minutes for you to enjoy (don't try this at home):

Dual between a vintage Honda CB500-4 and
a Moto-Guzzi 750cc V7R (old-motor version).

Both riders are fools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJQ2bT6sJMw

I call it a draw. You?

There's no doubt which bike is cooler - the V7R hands-down

Speedy,

Like you I switched from BMW to Guzzi. You'll enjoy the new bike.

Also like you, I like riding up to French Canada. It's nice during the summer, and they're a friendly folk. Well maybe not right now, since the Toronto Maple Leafs just suffered a smashing by the Boston Bruins.

Joe

pokeyjoe said:
Congrats! If you still want to take your wife with you, MG sells a two-up seat conversion that includes footpegs.

That is what I hear. I haven't ordered it yet, but hope to soon.

The dealer I bought the Racer from allowed me to demo it with the stock seat and a seat from a Stone. Both looked great on the racer and were rather comfy.

Dude, I see on the registry, you have No. 69, that alone makes your purchase extra cool! I'd be changing that No. 7, out ASAP! Congrats and welcome to Club Guzzi and the V7R cadre. I just got mine late last fall and just finishing the break-in. She gets better with each mile. Just took her to the Kettle Moraine area and a quick stop by Road America for a quick pic.
DSCN0064.JPG

tonUPRacer said:
Dude, I see on the registry, you have No. 69, that alone makes your purchase extra cool! I'd be changing that No. 7, out ASAP! Congrats and welcome to Club Guzzi and the V7R cadre. I just got mine late last fall and just finishing the break-in. She gets better with each mile. Just took her to the Kettle Moraine area and a quick stop by Road America for a quick pic.
DSCN0064.JPG

Oh yes a number change would be the shiznit!

Been riding her all over the place this past weekend. What a jolly good time this fancy bike puts on.

I'll get some pix posted up here soon.

Another new member on this forum. I bought a V7 Racer last month from Pro Italia in Glendale, CA and just completed the first service. I also have an MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR, which has all the power anyone could want. I was looking for a milder bike to ride with my wife, who recently got her motorcycle license and bought a Ninja 300 (another great bike, BTW).

As others have said, the V7R is a pleasure to ride. I put a Mistral exhausts on mine, which provide a much deeper and satisfying exhaust note. The bike has adequate power, even on LA freeways. The narrow bars make it a good bike for lane splitting. Gas mileage at this early point looks to be in the high 40s. Being a naked bike, it gets rather windy above 70 mph.

The one thing I did not care for on the bike was the bikini fairing. Someone remarked that it looked like a pirate hat, and from that point on I could not walk up to the bike without thinking the same thing. Last week, I happened to walk into the dealer's shop when they were unboxing their first "Record kit." I bought it on the spot. After putting another 100 miles on the bike, I think the kit transforms the entire look and feel. The bike is smoother and more stable at speed. The bars are lower, but not uncomfortable. After I get some more miles on the bike, I will post a more complete ride report. For now, I will say that I love the bike with the Record kit installed. It was an attention-getter in stock form. Now, interest in the bike is unbelievable.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 1,350
Here are some more pictures of the bike with the Record kit installed.

The kit is not just a bolt-on fairing and replacement seat. The headlight and instrument panel are moved about eight inches forward; new clip ons lower the bars about an inch or more (I didn't measure before and after, but the bars are definitely lower); and the seat is flatter and firmer but more comfortable IMO than the stock suede. The dealer said the installation instructions are 28 pages long. They charged me 4 hours for the install, but the tech actually needed 6.5 hours to get the job done.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 1,295
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 1,291
Pro Italia told me this is the only one they have been able to get so far, and they don't know when another kit will be available. Moto Guzzi really needs to step up production and distribution of this kit to dealers.

Thanks for the info and the pics. Looks like your clip-ons are about 2.5" lower (they used to be up against the bottom of the top triple tree). You need to get some European turn signals on that thing. And lose a few stickers....

The pictures were taken last week at Pro Italia. Most of the stickers came off yesterday. A couple of stubborn ones still remain.

I agree with you on the turn signals but haven't had time to look at what is available. The bike is now up in Vancouver, WA where it will spend weekends during summer and early fall exploring the Pacific Northwest.

rroe said:
Here are some more pictures of the bike with the Record kit installed.

The kit is not just a bolt-on fairing and replacement seat. The headlight and instrument panel are moved about eight inches forward; new clip ons lower the bars about an inch or more (I didn't measure before and after, but the bars are definitely lower); and the seat is flatter and firmer but more comfortable IMO than the stock suede. The dealer said the installation instructions are 28 pages long. They charged me 4 hours for the install, but the tech actually needed 6.5 hours to get the job done.

rroe, your bikes looks great! :shock: Inspiration for what I would like to do.

Here is a shot of my steed after bringing him home from the dealer. Bone stock for now, but not for long.

20130427_155440.jpg

The bike is beautiful in stock form. I plan to ride mine for a while before making any further upgrades. I have gone overboard in the past with aftermarket parts on other bikes, and I usually end up regretting many of the changes. No regrets about putting the Record kit on this bike, though.

rroe said:
The pictures were taken last week at Pro Italia. Most of the stickers came off yesterday. A couple of stubborn ones still remain.

I agree with you on the turn signals but haven't had time to look at what is available. The bike is now up in Vancouver, WA where it will spend weekends during summer and early fall exploring the Pacific Northwest.

Hey rroe, I just bought a Cafe last week, a 2010 with 400 miles on it. I am in Beaverton, we'll have to go on a ride!

Sounds great, bsbiker. PM me with your contact information, and we will set up a ride during the Memorial Day weekend.

After getting my first ride on the V7r on 5/18, the bike has 1915 miles on it. It's averaging 52 mpg since new.
My riding partners and I have made several over 250 mile rides through the SoCal mountains, the last one up to the Rock Inn in Lake Hughes. That ride netted me 353 miles and 57 mpg. I guess I can say the bike is pretty well broken in as I really had to flog it to try to stay up with my pal's new Triumph Street Triple! So far the Goose has been great, absolutely no problems other than an occasional missed shift. No oil usage is apparent. The bike does make me work harder the Enfield with heavier, slower steering and has tendency to add a bit of pain to my upper back. But I guess I just need to whip myself into better shape.
The bike is a total blast! It gets almost as much attention as my dear, departed Royal Enfield. I took it to a bike night last week and a couple of the guys there from the Vintage Club thought it was a restoration!
I'm definitely looking forward to many more great miles on it!
Bare

Attachments

• Rock Inn 6-14-13 (7)cr.jpg
    Rock Inn 6-14-13 (7)cr.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 1,058
  • N4 6-14-13.jpg
    N4 6-14-13.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,061
I just picked mine up today and am pleasantly surprised. After reading all the hype from the magazine writers I was fully expecting to be underwhelmed, But just had to have it for the nostalgia and the looks. :D

What the writers say I have to call BS on. I know they are used to riding super bikes but it is all in comparison. Here is what I call BS on.

Bad Brakes: The brakes on this thing are fantastic and I have no issues with them at all.

No power: OK so it may be a whopping 50HP rated but the torque is excellent. No problem what so ever powering out of turns and letting her rip.

Bad suspension: OK it is not a road racer but in the first 85 miles I managed to end up with no chicken strips and the bike never felt twitchy or out of control. I am 160 lbs and have the rear set on soft to match the front. It handles VERY nicely in the tight turns. NO I an not planning on sweepers at 160MPH on this bike.

Bad Vibrations: Well it has character. The engine is smoother than my Transalp or my Stelvio. As I am just starting the break in I have been taking it really easy and have not gone over 3/4 throttle or 6K RPM. :twisted: It has the typical Guzzi buzz about 3200RPM but is very smooth every where else.

The wheels are too heavy: OH for Pete's sake take a chill pill. This type of bike is supposed to have spoke wheels. I do wish they were tubeless like the Stelvio but what the heck.

The seating position is very comfortable and reminds me a lot of my GB500. I can get forward on it in the turns and also sit up almost perfectly straight to relax. Do I want to do an Iron Butt on it, NO, but that is not what I got it for. I have however ordered up another seat as the suede one does not seem suitable for every day riding in the rain and the muck.

I am going to try an experiment and ordered up the Triumph bar end mirror kit. It is very fairly priced and I think ??? That they will bolt right up to the plugs in the bars. We shall see. That said the stock mirrors, while they appear to be cheap Chinese junk, work very well and really don't look that bad.

The dealer did a canister relocation for me :lol: before I picked it up so that is out of the way.

The stock mufflers sound like a 50cc scooter and will be replaced with Mistral's as soon as they arrive. :whistle:

I spent about 3 hours de-stickering it, except the one on the rear fender, that will take a long time to do, and it looks much better now.

I wish I had an extra $1 grand as the Stucchi fairing would just top it off. A fender eliminator may also be in its future as I don't like the plate light down low. If I could just find a clear lens for the brake light I could just cut the ugly bottom section off the plate mount and would be happy.

So if it helps any future buyers my summary would be, LOTS of character and soul, comfortable riding position, good torque, good brakes, fun in the tight twistys, and gorgeous looks. It is a much better bike that I was expecting.

Marc

Back