• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

intermittent engine cutout on 01 California - 5/11 update

Re: intermittent engine cutout on 01 California - 4/8 update

I had a similar problem on my Cali, it turned out to be an aftermarket alarm system that was causing the miss fire.

Today was the first opportunity I had to work on the bike. Pulled the TPS and there is no opening to assure you are cleaning the pot. Just a couple of indents in the piece that mates to the throttle body. I did spray Deoxit liberally in the indents and excercised the pot a bunch before re-installing.

I have some test ports that I spliced into the TPS wires years ago so I added some wire to these and then connected a meter to them and stuck it in the top of my tank bag so I could see what was going on while riding.

Bike starts and idles fine but then was stumbling when leaving stops. At this point, I did not have the throttle in a stable condition so hard to look at reading. Once I got up to speed, I started looking for that spot where it cuts out. Was hard to find at first but once I did it looked as though the voltage was dropping out altogether. Perhaps a function of a bad pot or maybe the voltage to the TPS is cutting out.

Haven't looked at the schematic yet but I suspect the 5V for the TPS comes from the ECU and there is nothing in between other than the connectors for both parts, which have already been cleaned and inspected. Perhaps the power to the ECU is dropping out.

Will review schematic later and decide on next steps.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

For in the $40-$50 range put in a Harley TPS https://www.guzzitech.com/HD-TPS-Jeff_B.html I've put several in for people and at their price point I keep them in stock. It will run just fine with the HD unit.

You are getting 5 volts all the time to the TPS, you have a bad spot in the rheostat (variable resistor) part of the TPS assembly.

A small amount of methylated spirits (methyl alcohol or methanol) added to the tank will sometimes help. It binds with the water molecules and allows them to burn, as I understand it. I have used this in the past with some success.

John - do you know if there is a H/D TPS that would be suitable for my '94 1100i Cali - Stein Dinse are quoting 377 Euros and that's a fortune in Oz dollars.
Cheers

Lofty

Lofty1956 said:
John - do you know if there is a H/D TPS that would be suitable for my '94 1100i Cali - Stein Dinse are quoting 377 Euros and that's a fortune in Oz dollars.
Cheers

Lofty

The same HD TPS will work with all of the P8 and 15M ECU bikes. I think it is even compatible with the 16M machines.

Be aware that the Harley TPS is not equivalent to the Guzzi one. Jeff Brannen published an excellent comparison. See the article here.

https://www.guzzitech.com/HD-TPS-Jeff_B.html

Regardless, if the voltmeter is not showing wild fluctuations when the throttle is being opened, I'm guessing the TPS is not your issue.

Dave,

i agree that the voltage readings from the Harley TPS differ from the Guzzi one, but in practice, it doesn't seem to make much difference in the running of the bike. I used one for years on my 98EV and it worked just fine.

I was going to get an HD TPS but I have a dyno tuned PC3 and was concerned that it might effect the performance due to the slightly different curve.

I managed to find a used PF3C from a ducati on ebay for 45 bucks and just today had a chance to install it. Took it for a half hour ride with steady throttle openings from the low 3's to 5k+ and couldn't get it to hiccup at all. Considering it had gotten pretty bad the last time I rode it, I'm confident the problem is fixed.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and advice.

Back