• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

remote fuel tank

vagrant said:
i'd like to hear from anybody that has put a fuel tank on a Stelvio. I want to hook it into the fuel line so all i have to do is turn a valve on. Pics appreciated.
As the fuel pressure pump is in the tank, and thus all the fuel lines are pressurised, that would not be possible.

True however here's a thought..... if you look at the off-the shelf italian jobby it comes with a feul pump and wiring and all sorts. It looks like a pig to install and possibly to over complicated...I was looking at the way they connect the aux tank into the main tank. They take the neck out of the tank and weld a stub onto (all this is on youtube somewhere, I gotta try and find it!!) so thats a suggested way of getting fuel actually into the tank. Here's my thoughts, Aux tank fitted somewhere on the bike, flex pipe/hose fitted with hand pump (something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-43904-Fu ... B00123121K )
and a non return valve and then connected to the main tank. This donkey approach will mean 1) fit the hand pump where accessible when riding, 2) wait until reserve light comes on and then only start pumping like mad to reduce the chance of filling the main tank and pppppppppppeeeeeeingf all your fuel out of the over flow pipe. Simple, mechanical, no hassle approach.

Option 2
Instead of a manual hand pump, fit a in-line low pressure pump with manual switch and fill tank same way as option 1. How not to burn the pump out would be anyone's guess but would imagine a level switch inside aux tank should sort.

It just seems so much easier than fanying around with the main wires of the bike.

Does this sound like a potentially workable idea??

Don't waste money on the stuchi luigi tank it's expensive junk.
I scrapped all the wiring and components bar the pump & tank when it started to transfer fuel to an already full tank. It did this a couple of times on an autobahn, bloody lucky we didn't go up with a bang with fuel spilling all over the engine.
If I was starting from scratch I'd use a BMW K type fuel pump get a better looking tank fabricated, use an RS components level switch, maplin relay and tap the fuel supply into the top of the tank under the fairing. The whole thing controlled by a simple toggle switch under the sat nav mount.
Since I scrapped their electrics no probs, just waiting for the pump to fail:). As per earlier comment you do need a pumped fuel supply.

Thought I'd just toss this out there but I don't know much about fuel injection. As the fuel drains, air must get sucked in from somewhere. If we tied the aux cell into that line, wouldn't it just suck the fuel in because of the vacuum created? I've got a 2012 NTX but have been dreaming of ways to use the cell I put on my old R90. Not that I need another 4 gal on it...

vagrant said:
i'd like to hear from anybody that has put a fuel tank on a Stelvio. I want to hook it into the fuel line so all i have to do is turn a valve on. Pics appreciated.

As noted, the external fuel line is a high-pressure 'rail' type line to the injector. The best way to do a gravity or low-pressure feed from the auxiliary to the main tank is to remove the fuel pump from the main tank, tap into its base plate, add a fitting, and run your auxiliary line into that. This has been done extensively on many different brands and makes, and is consistently the simplest and most foolproof method. ADVrider, the IBA forums, and the Motorcycle Tourers Forum on Delphi have many threads with illustrations for this. If you have trouble finding them, let me know.

I guess I'll have to take exception to part of Rally 1150's post re: Stucchi Luigi's aux tank. The tank itself is a work of art and fits perfectly and is pretty well protected by the bag mounts. The electrics were plug n play and not an issue on mine. However, I will agree that the the check valves supplied to prevent transfer to the main tank from the aux tank did not work and I ported fuel over board several times before I figured out why it was happening. Since then I just wait until the main tank has sufficient capacity before I turn the aux fuel pump on. I've been riding it that way for almost two years now without a problem. I have another complete set of fuel lines and check valves sent by Stucchi Luigi free of charge that I haven't bothered to install.

nwrider said:
I guess I'll have to take exception to part of Rally 1150's post re: Stucchi Luigi's aux tank. The tank itself is a work of art and fits perfectly and is pretty well protected by the bag mounts. The electrics were plug n play and not an issue on mine. However, I will agree that the the check valves supplied to prevent transfer to the main tank from the aux tank did not work and I ported fuel over board several times before I figured out why it was happening. Since then I just wait until the main tank has sufficient capacity before I turn the aux fuel pump on. I've been riding it that way for almost two years now without a problem. I have another complete set of fuel lines and check valves sent by Stucchi Luigi free of charge that I haven't bothered to install.

I do like what the tank does in extending the range of the bike and anytime I get around BMW folks they are drawn to it. Always a mention to how clean the installation is. I too had issue with the one way valves and would just swap back and forth as needed but on my last trip to the BMW Georgia Mountain rally the valves have started working as they should and I was able to run the entire aux tank until empty. Finally loosened up? We'll see.

I read nwriders comments with interest. There were no check valves supplied with my tank and it transferred automatically once both the fuel light was on and all 3 segments on the tank display showed empty.
I hope they have solved all the problems I had with updates.
That'll teach me to break my golden rule, never buy the 1st release of anything!

Ray1150 said:
I read nwriders comments with interest. There were no check valves supplied with my tank and it transferred automatically once both the fuel light was on and all 3 segments on the tank display showed empty.
I hope they have solved all the problems I had with updates.
That'll teach me to break my golden rule, never buy the 1st release of anything!

Sounds like Rays is first generation and nwriders is second. I don't think anything is available now.

I've got a first generation stucchi tank. Worked flawlessly for three years till it started pumping to a full tank. Not good!
Response from the big boot country has been dismal, even after having my pizzeria friends call them up.
They say a replacement black box is on the way, but that was months ago. I'm headed to Alaska next month. Looks like I will need to get some of those plastic add-on tanks cause the Stucchi is useless . It won't transfer at all now.

Looks like I will need to get some of those plastic add-on tanks cause the Stucchi is useless . It won't transfer at all now.[/quote]
Just tear out all their wiring and via a relay, (Maplins) wire it direct to a simple on/off switch that deactivates when the tank is empty controlled by their float switch.
V. simple, v. cheap nothing much to go wrong! When the tank is 2/3 empty you flick the switch, when the tank is empty the power cuts out.
I've added a deadswitch under the seat and don't forget to turn it off before you fill up! :S
I did post on this, what relay, how to wire it up etc.., I can't find it (nice new look to site tho') if you want to rewire it and you're not confident on how to, pm me and I'll have a look in the garage and see what I've done.
Ray

Back