• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2013 V7 Stone, first service

danderson

Just got it firing!
I am about to take my bike in for its first service. I do notice that the left pipe is bluer than the right. What should I ask the shop to do about that, is there a need for them to do something special on the ECU to address it ?

Thanks

dave

One pipe more blue than the other is probably a synchronization issue. First service should include valve adjustment, TB synchronization, TPS reset plus engine, gearbox, and rear drive oil changes. Also everything else listed for the first service in the maintenance schedule.

Did you forget about the single throttle body, John? That should take synchronization off the list. I would make sure they do a good job on setting the valves. That's the only thing I can think of that would make one pipe blue faster than the other.

pokeyjoe said:
Did you forget about the single throttle body, John? That should take synchronization off the list. I would make sure they do a good job on setting the valves. That's the only thing I can think of that would make one pipe blue faster than the other.

Rafael,

Yep, forgot about the single throttle body. The difference in blue could be from the valve settings as you said.

The left side on my 09 V7C is bluer than the right, and a temp gauge shows the left side runs 75F hotter.
I've been chasing the cause of the hot side for a while, with no resolution. Oddly, the spark plug on the left (hot) side is dark, as if it's running a little rich. The right (normal) side has a normal plug, a tannish brown.

Dave, I've heard that often one side runs hotter than the other, so I wouldn't worry about it. I try to fix mine, because that's the way I am.

Joe

P.S. Here's what I've done:
Checked both sides for air leaks in the intake
Switched out the ECU
Sent out the injectors for flow testing and cleaning
Tried the Offset Cyl function on MyECU, which allows setting one cyl to run leaner/richer than the other

Mine was bluer on the right for the first couple of hundred miles, but it has evened out now. Going in for the first service myself tomorrow.

Great thanks for all of that. So fluids as per the manual and valve timing, ok , but is there any ECU reset or relearning done ? I am trying to avoid taking it to my dealer as they have annoyed me already and want to take it to another shop that is not an MG shop. So what I don't know is whether they need to do anything on the ECU that would require MG tools or scanner that they wouldn't have.

Thanks again

dave

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm obsessing over mine because I like working on bikes.
Valve adjust may help you.
Think about doing your own work, that way you've got a better feeling for what's going on.

Some might say "just ride."

Subscribed as I also do not want to take it to the dealer for the first service. $800+ is way too much to pay.

So who has a nice video on head torque and valve adjustment on the V7 :?: I saw one for my Stelvio but have not run across anything for the V7.

And oh Yea, Todd, to you have or know where to get head guards for the 2013 model engine?

I hope the bike gets here soon, I am ready to RIDE. :woohoo:

Marc

Lomax, it's good to see another rider who owns both a Stelvio NTX and a V7. They are worlds apart yet neat in their own way. I did my own first service and it was a snap. Torquing the heads was simple, the rest was childs play. Seriously, you do not mess with the throttle body and there is nothing to sync. Change some fluids, check the valves, ride the sucker! I am in the process of upgrading the front forks (thanks Todd) and it's the most complex job I have seen so far...but really not a big deal. You will grow to love this very simple machine.

Peter Y.

lomax said:
So who has a nice video on head torque and valve adjustment on the V7 :?: I saw one for my Stelvio but have not run across anything for the V7.

Joe does (sign216). Not a video, but pictures with instructions. I'll be damned if I can find them, though. Maybe he'll see this or you could send him a PM.

Edit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sign216/with/6148068065/

Go half way down (where you see a picture of his helper's legs). After you open each pic, scroll down for some helpful instructions.

What the hell is your dealer doing on your first service?

Mine was just $325 total of which $91.83 in parts (mainly synthetic Motul and washers/orings/gaskets/oil filter, plus 2.5 hrs labor at $215 plus tax and $15 in shop supplies.
Completed Break-in Service - Changed Oil Fluids and filter, adjusted valves, Checked Gearbox, Final Drive, Head Torque, Exhaust Nuts, Lights, Battery, Brakes P &F.

lomax said:
Subscribed as I also do not want to take it to the dealer for the first service. $800+ is way too much to pay.

And oh Yea, Todd, to you have or know where to get head guards for the 2013 model engine?

Marc

lomax said:

Marc

Here's a better address for what I wrote on head torque for the V7: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sign216/sets/72157627672086548/

Click on each picture to get my notes.

Valve adjustment technique is out there too, a search for Guzzi Breva Valves should bring it up.

Joe

The Guzzi Workshop Manual for the 2012 V7 series lists what is supposed to be done at each service...with the total time allotted for the service. It's interesting reading. The first service (1K KM) has a time listed of 100 minutes and includes torquing the heads. $800? I'm guessing the shop quoted a figure for the wrong brand, maybe for a Ducati or KTM.

Peter Y.

pyoungbl said:
The Guzzi Workshop Manual for the 2012 V7 series lists what is supposed to be done at each service...with the total time allotted for the service. It's interesting reading. The first service (1K KM) has a time listed of 100 minutes and includes torquing the heads. $800? I'm guessing the shop quoted a figure for the wrong brand, maybe for a Ducati or KTM.

Peter Y.

First service for a Duc 696 is only a couple of hundred dollars too - similar fluids and a few basic checks (not including anything like valves or head torqueing as that isn't necessary at that point).

lomax said:

Marc, welcome to the Forum and congrats on the V7. These bikes are fairly easy to service if you've spun a wrench or two on motorcycles in the past. There are a few tricky things to learn, and the other is that you will need some type of electronics to reset the TPS, etc.
As for the head guards, the new valve cover design doesn't lend itself at all to the old school type guards, so it's either crash bars or the frame sliders the KevM posted on earlier.

Post again/often.

The good news is that even if you don't use a scan tool to reset the learning parameters the ECM will learn/compensate in short order - a few hours or so at most.

My 2010 V7cc is at 7500 miles. The PO did stellar services prior to my getting it (4200 miles) so I'm thinking about letting it go to 10k, for an easy, even number. The bike runs super, no valve sounds and I've topped the oil already.

Planned service:
R&R oil/filter
R&R rear gear oil
R&R plugs
wash air filter
valve adjustment

I know the book suggest fork oil, but really? Mine was replaced once anyway because the forks were recartridged with Traxxion Dynamics. Anything else?

I'm tempted to use some gear oil as well as some Lucas Racing high zinc oil I already have in the garage. I've always had terrific luck using average oils and fluids and not sticking to the super expensive recommendations. But then again, this is my first Guzzi. Thoughts?

Tranny fluid too as I just read. I assumed it was sharing the motor oil. I'll have to get my factory manual out and see how it differs from the motor oil if at all. I may have to spring for some new fluids after all.

You'll want to stick pretty close to OEM specs on transmission and final drive oils as they are small capacities and prone to blowing out the breather if overfilled or wrong viscosity.

As for valves, you SHOULD actually hear them a bit. Too quiet is too tight.

Back