• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

8v recal is there

Brian UK wrote:
All very well, as long as they can be certain that they have covered every affected bike.
With the CARC recall they did not, and those left outside the group have had far greater problems getting it fixed.
Really. I've seen several reports of folk outside the CARC recall numbers who did get taken care of, at least at the end of the day. In every case upon dissasembly it turned out they had the crappy Polish FEIT bearing, not the newer post recall German ones. Do not recall if in or out of warranty, however, or what country. Only one I recall specifically was Carl Allison, who I believe got very 1st Norge imported to US.

I did several, the first couple at my own expense to circumnavigate the extraordinarily elaborate and tedious warrant process and get the blokes back on the road. The Warranty claims went through eventually, it was still warranty even if it was out of the recall range, its still a failure.

pete

pete roper wrote:
I did several, the first couple at my own expense to circumnavigate the extraordinarily elaborate and tedious warrant process and get the blokes back on the road. The Warranty claims went through eventually, it was still warranty even if it was out of the recall range, its still a failure.

pete

"It's still a failure" meaning it's a very premature bearing failure so Guzzi will pay to fix it, irregardless of whether or not the bike is in the recall range?

guzzibob wrote:
"It's still a failure" meaning it's a very premature bearing failure so Guzzi will pay to fix it, irregardless of whether or not the bike is in the recall range?
I agree absolutely, but it also depends on the attitude of the dealer. The point I was making is that if not within the recall range, it can take far longer to get a problem sorted unfortunately.

Great news, my MG dealer called yesterday to notify me of the recall and advised not to drive my Stelvio for the time being. He even suggested to pick up the bike at home! One reservation he made was around the avaliability of the change parts, he could not confirm how long the supply of new parts is going to take.
Luc

pete roper wrote:
The Warranty claims went through eventually, it was still warranty even if it was out of the recall range, its still a failure.
I wish it had been that way with my front brakes' bobbins. Guzzi denied the warranty and I was even told by the main Guzzi dealer in Spain that being a rarity excluded me from being granted a warranty job.

Brian UK wrote:
guzzibob wrote:
I agree absolutely, but it also depends on the attitude of the dealer. The point I was making is that if not within the recall range, it can take far longer to get a problem sorted unfortunately.

OK, I understand I think. Dealer attitude always matters on warranty issues. Still, I would assume that with a CARC failure IN warranty, which most of these CARC things are (don't usually last till out of warranty assuming bike gets ridden at all), should be pretty easy. A part failed that shouldn't & you are in warranty, they have a legal obligation to fix it, period. Out of warranty, no such obligation, another story. I would assume if dealer gives a crap he pulls the thing apart, & if it's an FEIT bearing in or out of the recall range, he likely can get it replaced on Guzzi's nickel if he tries. If he doesn't care, I would assume the owner is going to have to try a lot harder.

That sound about right?

Yes, that's about right.
I was told it wasn't bad enough to claim under a warranty, come back in a few months when it gets worse (or when the warranty runs out).

Does anyone know if the 8V recall is true in the US also? I talked to a couple of dealers and they just gave me that deer in the headlights blank stare.

It seems the notice is to early. Moto Guzzi isn't ready for it yet. So have patience, when it is so far we will know. Don't bother your dealer with it, they can't help you now.

I don't know if they're ready or not but at this link you get the full service needed in pdf format with all the actions to be taken by the mechanics...
I am not one of them but it seems like a VERY SERIOUS job and one that might take a little bit more than the time allowed by MG for it!

http://www.servicemotoguzzi.com/public/ ... 2-2009.pdf

Check it out... (OK it's in french but the pictures posted for the mechanics to do their job are worth viewing anyway!)

At the end, there's even the blank letter ready to be filled by MG to be sent to the Stelvio & Griso 4V owners...

What do I do... shall I continue to ride until I get my letter or really stop at once and leave it in the garage???

A link to the English version was uploaded earlier, a few other languages are here.

Blaise, are you riding much these days? Weather isn't really the best, isn't it...

RJVB I'm not riding but every morning I open the shutters first thing to see if I can get a glimpse of blue sky, and believe me when it shows up I'll be ready to go the next minute or so...

Lately the symptoms have been getting worse. I go to the garage and sit on the bike pretending I'm riding... caught my daughter talking to her mom telling her she should send me to the psychiatrist or even worse to the asylum... :laugh:

Now if MG says all 8V owners should keep their bikes in the garage until they are being recalled for the modification, and considering it may take some time, I don't know if I can stay 'sane' much longer!:silly: :blink:

Today first italian owners got their letter from Guzzi, so they are working on it. But each importer has it's own speed, and I suppose Guzzi want to do Italy first

I don't know how they'll work it out this time, but if it's the same thing as when I bought my Stelvio, then I'll get my letter directly from MG Italy.

pauldaytona wrote:
It seems the notice is to early. Moto Guzzi isn't ready for it yet. So have patience, when it is so far we will know. Don't bother your dealer with it, they can't help you now.

It is complicated. I'm trying to help the dealer.

There is a zero mile recall and a with miles recall. If it involves US bikes, I need to know.

It involves bikes within a certain range of VINs. I'm guessing that if those VINs were present only on certain markets, the dealer info would have mentioned that, to save time.

Is it usual that there's a template for the letter to be sent to the customer included in the recall document? Taken in isolation, that almost suggests that it'll be up to the dealers to contact the owners this time.

Wonder: I confirm that I too got a recall letter for the topbox issue directly from Piaggio. One of these recommandé (one of these terms for which I don't know the English equivalent :S), of course I wasn't home during the 1st delivery attempt, and of course I thus had to take time off to go to the post office, somewhat worried who'd be sending me a letter like that...

It's a world wide recall but it may well be that because you had to wait so long for 8V's there may be none in the US affected by the problem. We don't know when the problem was identified in Italy or when the *new* parts were started to be incorporated in new-build and I doubt we ever will.

Probably the most likely indicator is the list of affected machines by serial/Vin #. Unfortunately, despite the recall notice publication telling us that these numbers are available on the warranty site they aren't. Like Todd Haven I am so astonished and gobsmacked by this trifling irregularity I find it almost impossible to believe, (NOT!):blink:

Pete

Hi Gang

I e-mailed the posted recall letter to my dealer Saturday morning, he phoned me this morning.
He said he new about it and was expecting it from MG.
The 8v issues had been discussed at the latest UK dealer conference before Christmas, which on all accounts was a bit of a row with lots of very upset dealers letting Piaggio know how disapointed they are with the whole 8v affair.
Piaggio new to the problems and have been working hard to resolve them.
The 1200 sport 8v has the new engine fitted, so should be sound.

Anyway mine is one of the bikes, he has put the warrenty claim in this morning.
He said the bits are apparently in stock ready and he will phone me when they arrive for fittment:)

Loftyjohn

Back