• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 and not skinny guys

LDB

Tuned and Synch'ed
I've about talked myself in to a new V7. I'm a little concerned about the suspension for a 240 pound rider. Is the factory stock V7 Special suitable for general (as in non-racing) riding as is? I've seen mention of various suspension modifications/upgrades/changes/etc. anywhere from a couple hundred dollars to upwards of a couple thousand dollars. Is there a really good upgrade for a reasonable price?

The rear should be OK. I weigh 210 and found it over-sprung. The front, however, will need new springs at a minimum. Todd set me up for $115 with springs for my weight. Makes a huge difference. That, by itself, should make the bike OK for normal riding.

Thanks for the feedback. I figured they could set it up right but just wondered what experience others have had. Lots of views but not much feedback.

Welcome to the Forum, and congrats in advance on the V7. Your question is a bit too vague with not enough info from you on what you're hoping to achieve. Most every Guzzi is set up for a rider in the 155-170 lb weight range (as stated numerous times on this Forum). Depending on how you ride, you can probably get away with just springs and rear shocks. Budget depends on what you're looking to achieve, and just know that the suspension components will never allow a ride like modern mono-shock and inverted cartridge forks. I see you're in Houston, so unless you're planning on racing it or similar, a small investment should make it quite good for you. Feel free to e-mail me directly; Todd at GuzziTech.com -- happy to get you set up correctly.

Thanks for the welcome and the access. I'm interested in a comfortable ride so I want to avoid bottoming out or whatever the opposite would be. I also presume that will be easier on the bike so it will last even longer. I'm not a racer by any means and never come close to 10/10's, probably no more than 6-7/10's and usually more like 3-4/10's. My hero was the tortoise not the hare and to me the ride is about seeing/hearing/experiencing the ride which is much easier and better done at 10 under the limit than 10 over the limit. The majority of my riding will be either a 90 mile round trip to visit family or random meanderings around the gulf coast usually also probably not over 100 miles total. I do want the option to ride to bike week or anywhere although I'll probably never exercise that option.

im in the 230-240 range, and although ive been riding bikes for a long time i guess i dotn have very stiff suspension requirements. i have the rear preload all the way, as i often have my gf with me on the pillion.

Back