• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Guzzi Stelvio NTX vs Ducati Multistrada, Road Runner Magazin

leafman60

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Road Runner Magazine, July/August 2013, page 52

Nice comparison article pitting the new Stelvio NTX against the Ducati Multistrada. The Ducati gets good marks for it's 150 hp and speed although the Stelvio acquits itself very well in that category. "Sure, on the open road the Multistrada will drop the Stelvio but you better have some 'Get out of Jail Free' cards in your wallet."

They also say "...in the twisty stuff, the Stelvio can hang with the Multistrada from corner entry to mid corner..."

Road Runner pretty-much gets a bead on the situation when they say "the Multistrada has 'go-fast ' parts; the Stelvio has 'go far' parts." They continue, " (The Stelvio) will feel more at home sipping from its big tank while crossing wide open spaces, but it's surprisingly fun on the tight stuff." Also, "... the Stelvio can be pushed very rapidly and keep pace with the Ducati." The Ducati is lighter than the Stelvio but the Stelvio offsets that with its tires and design.

In addition to its performance capabilities, the Stelvio is given credit for its visceral appeal and overall simplicity when compared to the super-tech Ducati whose displays and settings "...requires cracking open the manual to understand...."

The article omits several key aspects of a test. They do not put the bikes through any off-road terrain where the Stelvio can shine. They also do not make specific mention except in their spec sheet that the Stelvio is $4000 less expensive than the Ducati. They also provide no long-term maintenance data that show relative costs of, say, a valve inspection service. When I test-rode a Multistrada, I was very reluctantly told that such service alone would be about $1000 for the Ducati.

I love Ducatis and I've had three of them. Comparing a Multistrada to a Stelvio, however, is little like apples to oranges.

This is a good write-up from a good magazine that is published out of North Carolina and is normally free from the California cycle press mentality.

Road Runner focuses on touring with great articles and pictures from cycle travels throughout the world. They provide tear-out maps of trips they describe in every issue.

Re: Guzzi Stelvio NTX vs Ducati Multistrada, Road Runner Mag

Here is a PDF of the article if anyone is interested........

Attachments

• Stelvio VS Multistrada.pdf
    156.8 KB · Views: 222

Thanks for the link...

You get the impression that the bikes were actually ridden. So many of these articles are worthless. There is one on the stands now, Motorcycle Sport and L... It's a 14 page adventure bike shoot out that says absolutely nothing meaningful. It's two paragraphs of what sounds like promo on the bikes, you get no sense of what they are like to ride...

Vivo

leafman60 said:
Nice comparison article pitting the new Stelvio NTX against the Ducati Multistrada. Comparing a Multistrada to a Stelvio, however, is little like apples to oranges.
Indeed. Not the same buyer, though I do know a handful of older gents who sold their Stelvio for a Multi, simply because of the weight and their riding purpose; Zero off-road miles (ever), mainly <60 mile rides (round-trip) to the local moto hang out North of L.A. Your point of pricing is a solid one, and service for anyone who is not DIY, can get painfully expensive fast here in SoCal. Though, most can afford it, which is why the boutique mindset works here with the Ducati crowd.

This is a good write-up from a good magazine that is published out of North Carolina and is normally free from the California cycle press mentality.
Funny you say that. Now that I have spent more then a decade contributing/testing with Cycle World Mag, most of the staffers are from everywhere else but here. The only thing I (and many others) often question is selection of bikes on comparisons. The idea pool has to align with available bikes at any given moment, and having a long term bike is different then having a long term test fleet to compare... it's pretty much impossible.

Thanks for the PDF on the article.

When I was searching for a new bike, my initial feelings were the Stelvio NTX, Capnord 1200, or the Multistrada. I wanted to stay Italian. Honestly, I do feel, for me, that the comparison between the Stelvio and Multistrada is apples to apples.

Having said that, the Caponord was not being delivered to the US at least until 4th quarter 2013. I was jonesing for this type of bike, and since the closest dealer (MG) is only 8 miles from my house and there were 2 Stelvios in stock. Bingo.

Also, to be honest, Leafman's original post in Mild Guzzi and ADVrider absolutely swayed my decision.

Here is an interesting video comparing the S with the M. Leafman would certainly disagree with the off-road capabilities of the S.

[youtube]VvHg63wGQfc[/youtube]

Great stuff guys . I just forwarded to a friend considering a Stelvio . Very unbiased and truthful article . I saw the video also posted a longtime ago and thought it pretty biased towards the Duc . These guys are young and too impressed with hp's and bells and whistles . My own experience with many bikes fast and otherwise makes me very happy with my choice . Put the ego aside and forget about the ponies and there is no question about the Stelvios awesome attributes . Cheers guys , thanks for the real goods .

Back