• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

The famous 15A fuse???

Glenn.1

Just got it firing!
Took my Stelvio out for a spin to Squires, stopped for petrol and dead on the button.... Luckily, because I read this forum , I knew to check the aux fuse box, and sure enough fuse 2 15A had blown...... It seems to be a known problem however I cannot find on this forum what causes it to blow... I've searched for every combination of starting problems and 15A fuse ....only thing I can find is ' fit a 20A fuse'..... Just wondering if anyone can locate the thread which describes the causes.....cheers

Thanks for that John...... I need to sit in the dark for an hour after reading all that..... Seems strange this problem has been around for years and yet my newish Stelvio STILL suffers from these problems.....looks like ill be getting my soldering iron out to solve a quite serious and anoying problem Guzzy have know about and chosen to do nothing about, for years

Had this happen to me a couple of weeks back while in France, bike running great, stopped for fuel and no start, bump started it and got it back the 20 miles or so to where we were staying before sussing out it was the 15amp fuse as mentioned above.

Would anyone like to hazard a guess at why Guzzi continue to do it this way, does the benefit out weigh the few that blow. I talked to Jason at Moto Strada (UK) a while back and he said not to mess with the electrics.. he's a good tech but maybe he's never been stranded, and if you're not very savvy with how the bike works it isn't much fun being stuck in the middle of somewhere with a bike that won't start, especially if it's either steaming hot or freezing cold... :S

windy

The thing I cannot understand , after reading all the posts, is I understand the 15afuse blowing causing the bike to not start, but some people are reporting the push and click syndrome and yet the fuse is Ok...... So what's going on there??

Simple. Most times the connections are so poor, that they can't pass enough current to even blow the 15 amp fuse. Other times the connections carry over 15 amps, but not enough to pull the solenoid. Those blow the fuse. Those can often be cured by disassembling the solenoid and cleaning it up so it pulls in more reliably.

This has been happening on Guzzis since before time. I had the same problem on my 1980 V50, and the 1990 Spada III. But in those cases there was no fuse to blow.
Either Guzzi are just too set in their ways, head firmly in the bucket of sand, or no-one has ever told them it's a problem. I do know early on, several starter motors were changed under warranty because of this problem.
Did the start relay rewire on the Norge - ALL Guzzis are the same - and later on had the same problem. This was due to very sticky dry grease round the solenoid plunger. Cleaned that off and replaced with thick oil and absolutely no problems ever since.

stromcat said:
Anyone got a description or better still a photo of where this solenoid is on a Stelvio?

The solenoid is attached to the top of the starter. It is what throws the gear out into the flywheel, plus make the main contact to the starter.

For some reason, maybe safety, Guzzi always passes the solenoid power through the ignition switch, not a relay. A relay can stick, leaving the starter engaged. Where the key can be turned off.
But I think they are just stubborn.

I've had this problem on my V-11 Tenni. It seems to only happen if a bump the starter button and not hold it down. I just keep a bunch of fuses with me.... :roll:

Wayne Orwig said:
For some reason, maybe safety, Guzzi always passes the solenoid power through the ignition switch, not a relay.
Just a pity they don't then use an ignition switch with contacts rated to carry 25 amps or more. Actually they do use a relay as well, the start relay.

Brian UK said:
Wayne Orwig said:
For some reason, maybe safety, Guzzi always passes the solenoid power through the ignition switch, not a relay.
Just a pity they don't then use an ignition switch with contacts rated to carry 25 amps or more. Actually they do use a relay as well, the start relay.
Yes, the power passes through relay contacts AND the ignition switch AND TWO fuses (the 15 amp and a 30 amp fuse).
Normally when you add a relay you wire the relay contacts to a more direct path to the battery. But they pass it through so much garbage that they might as well have not added the relay.

Back