• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Tyres for Griso

Matias

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello everybody,

The original Metzeler tyres are wearing out fast...I am already planning the new set...
What do you guys recomend?
Are most of you using sport or sport-touring tyres?

Thanks,
Matias

I'm going to replace mine with Michelin Pilot Road 3's, Pete Roper recommended them to me and I've heard they give grreat grip and good mileage.

Hello Wyno,

I took a look in the net to these Pilot Road 3. They look good...maybe I will go for them...
The sport tyres just wear too quickly... The bike has a nice torque, which gives me the temptation to try it frequently...and that for sure eats the rubber...

Biggest problem with true Sportsbike tyres on the Griso is that they are designed for much lighter bikes. Put them on a great pig like the Griso and the sidewalls flex when you hit bumps mid-corner which feels horrid. You an combat this by raising the pressure a lot but then you loose grip and they'll still wear out really fast.

I've been running Pilot Road 2's for years, they work well. The 3's are pretty much the same but with better sipeage.

Pete

Pilots are good (personal experience) but I can also highly recommend Metzler Interact Z8 sport / touring tyre.

Good mileage seem to be as sticky as many full sports tyres and great in the wet, work well on my Griso.

Mark

I agree that weight and horsepower are the 2 biggest enemies of tyre life, apart from under inflation.

I disagree with your "Porky Griso" comment Pete.
After years of arguing with AMCN editors over publishing (bullshit) 'claimed dry weights' of sports bikes, they recently printed the measured wet weights of the oriental litre brigade.

They weighed in from 203 (ZX10-R) to 217kg (R1), so from memory the Griso 'kerb weight' at 221kg is not too far off the money.

Got Pilot Road 3's on Bella currently and liking them.
Also got a set of Pilot Power 3's for my spare wheels

Thanks for the inputs!
I'll be looking for the sport-touring range too...

By the way...did you had any problems changing the tyres in a regular tyre store (no special MG tooling needed)?
The original exhaust can (which I still have...) is huge... Do you need to take it out to remove the wheel, or is there enough manouvering space with it aasembled?

Thanks again....

Michelin Pilot Road 3

I've not had any experience with the Road 3 but I did have the Road 2s on my BMW k1200r. They worked great and handled the bike's 163 hp quite well with normal wear. I assume the Road 3s will be even better. Michelin Pilot Roads are my tire of choice for my bikes where they fit.

I put a Dunlop Q2 tires on my 2009 Griso and it transformed the motorcycle (along with an Ohlins rear shock with slightly lengthened shock for better turn in). These won't last as long as what other people are expecting but I wanted the same feel on my track bike as my street bike and don't ride as often.

Otherwise I would do the Pilot Road 3's. Tons of friends loved the 2' and the 3'.

I`m on my second set of Dunlop Roadsmarts. Managed to get 10,000 miles out of a pair after I slowed down from using the fantastic grip. They feel like they were made for the Griso. Just visited Coupes Moto Legende in France recently and the Dunlops embarassed a couple of ducati riders that were with me for the trip. Took them by surprise at how much lean and grip they gave. Well happy with them, so when the time comes, probably be Roadsmarts again.

Thanks for all the inputs guys!
Excuse me for insisting....any troubles in regular tyre changing shops (any specific tooling required?)?
Do you need to remove the original exhaust can to remove the wheel or is there enough manouvering room?

I have been running Pirelli Angels on the G11, and my rear is starting to show horizontal laceration after 2200 miles!

I do tend to ride hardish, 6-8000rpm on open roads is normal, but that is just wacky.

My Angel front is still good, however. Which Pirelli/other tyre would be recommended to replace my rear?

I installed Dunlop Q2's on my Griso and because I have Todd's Right side exit exhaust nothing has to be removed for tire changes. I prefer sporting tires even though the lesser mileage and it's not my commuter. Otherwise I would put Michelin Pilot Road 3's on which my friends all rave about for mileage and grip! Dunlop released Q3's also.

cytocycle said:
I installed Dunlop Q2's on my Griso and because I have Todd's Right side exit exhaust nothing has to be removed for tire changes. I prefer sporting tires even though the lesser mileage and it's not my commuter.

I've had great experience with Q2's on my Versys (they totally transformed the bike!), and would be interested in your feedback on how they work on the Griso. And how fast do they wear out?

My '12 Griso came with Dunlop RoadSmarts. They felt good and went 6,500 miles before the rear failed inspection.

I replaced them with Michelin PR3s based on positive reports from other riders. At just over 2k, they look great and I've lost nothing in the handling department.

Best improvement is confidence in the rain. The Dunlops could get a little squirrely on wet pavement and hydroplane in puddles. The Michelins sipe away enough water that they leave a dry track behind me.

I recently returned from a 4000 km road trip on my brand new road pilot 3 rear tire. It has a barely noticeable flattening. With my factory tire, by this time it was a very noticeable flat spot. I should get 10,000 km + out of this tire. Factory was only 8,000 km.

Just got the Pilot Road 3's on my Griso. I was told to take it easy by the fitting crew and so when I left I only gave it a bit of throttle, but still managed a lurid slide as I took off. The next day it rained and I took it really easy. I've done a couple of hundred km now including some on a nice dirt road and they are feeling really good. Went along my favourite road to work with lots of roundabouts and they were great.. I only got 10,000km out of the originals, so I'm hoping that the Michelins will do a lot better.

Hi Paul, I had Q2s on my V11 Cafe Sport (which is a bit lighter than the Griso) and had set pressures at 32 front and 34 rear. They generally lasted ~1750 miles before needing replacement. They were (and the Q3s are) good sport tires. However, I'd agree that the PR3s are almost as sticky and last much longer than the Q2/Q3s; I run the PR3s on my Stelvio.

mohawkeye said:
Hi Paul, I had Q2s on my V11 Cafe Sport (which is a bit lighter than the Griso) and had set pressures at 32 front and 34 rear. They generally lasted ~1750 miles before needing replacement. They were (and the Q3s are) good sport tires. However, I'd agree that the PR3s are almost as sticky and last much longer than the Q2/Q3s; I run the PR3s on my Stelvio.

Thanks for the info, Mike. Geez, less than 2k? Guess I'll be looking into the Michelins.

Back