• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso in the rain issues

jdelv

Tuned and Synch'ed
My 2007 Griso doesn't see much rain. I have other bikes for those days. However, I have had some recent questions the group might have answers to.

Last weekend I rode to a Guzzi rally. It was very foggy and wet weather. But not really "raining" when I rode the bike. Just mist and sprinkles. The Griso ran just fine, like the previous 6000 miles I put on it. Even though it was caked with filth and mud.

Today I rode to our riding group breakfast. Weather.com says 0% chance of rain. They were waaaay off. Once i left the diner, it became a steady rain. Nothing torrential, but good rain fall. For the first time ever, when I slowed to make a left turn the bike stalled. WTF? Then I noticed at stops the bike idle was lower than usual, say 800-900 rpm vs my normal 1100 rpm. It didn't stall any more after that, but the idle was a bit lower. It ran very nicely during use, no problems there.

Also, I noticed a smell like burning rubber when I got off the bike in my garage. I'd never smelled burning rubber coming from the Griso ever in the time I've owned it (18 months). I wasn't that concerned about the smell until my wife asked me what smelled so bad like burnt rubber in the garage. So I figure I'd ask the GT folks here.

I don't plan on extensive wet weather use, but if I go to a weekend rally in the rain or get caught in it like today, I'd like to know what's going on. I understand the ECU vulnerability and I'm going to look in there this week to make sure it's all good, but the burnt rubber smell has me perplexed.

Any answers here?

You will get a smell off the bike after riding in the rain. Probably from road grime on hot surfaces. I don't remember it smelling like burnt rubber though. Check the hoses around the stepper motor. A problem there could be causing the low idle.

FYI, I have a manual shut off for my stepper motor. In fact, when I noticed the low idle after the stall I opened my valve to feed air to the stepper and it did improve some.

I'm just fearful a bit because I heard Guzzis have issues with moisture.

Thanks, btw...

It may be a faulty spark plug cap if the only difference is the wet weather. Probably anywhere between 5 and 10 k ohms would be ok. My Norge always smells similar after rain use which is often here in Tasmania. I dont have plastic riding gear stains on my hot things but it still smells.

It was on my 07 (wife's bike). :huh:
We must be the only ones with the 2 valver that had that issue then.
Damn Italian witchcraft!!

Thanks Pete none the less...

Ive had my Griso out in some right poxy cloudbursts, many, many times. Even recently in that weatherstorm that pissed over most of Europe at the beginning of June. Eastern Europe copped the wost of it, but i digress. I`ve never had a wet weather issue with the Griso. Smell of burning rubber? Only on a good day! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

The burnt smell returned in dry weather. This never happened to recollection until recently on the Griso, but my VStrom has gone on and off over the seven years I've owned it. I'm not concerned about that.

The bike ran flawlessly last night at idle and at speed. If I get the wet weather low idle again I'll. swap spark plug caps. My question....I should change all 4 caps, even the long term plugs?

Also, I think those internal plugs are due to be changed. Not necessary to have dealer change them, right? Any advice for changing them? I'll likely do this before the national rally in Ontario long with valve check. Almost 12000 miles on the odo.

jdelv said:
The burnt smell returned in dry weather. This never happened to recollection until recently on the Griso, but my VStrom has gone on and off over the seven years I've owned it. I'm not concerned about that.

The bike ran flawlessly last night at idle and at speed. If I get the wet weather low idle again I'll. swap spark plug caps. My question....I should change all 4 caps, even the long term plugs?

Also, I think those internal plugs are due to be changed. Not necessary to have dealer change them, right? Any advice for changing them? I'll likely do this before the national rally in Ontario long with valve check. Almost 12000 miles on the odo.

The inner plugs don't need replacement yet, but they should be removed and coated with an anti seize product. You will need to grind down a 5/8 plug socket. Be sure to blow out the area with compressed air before removal. I stick the plug onto a piece of fuel hose for install. You don't want to cross those threads.

Back