• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New to Guzzi

Oaktree

Just got it firing!
Howdy all. I've been riding my BMW R1100R since she was new out of the box in June 2000. That was 161k miles ago, and counting. I'm looking now at what I should get as a new bike within the next two years. A long term investment requires long term planning.

I've been dyed in the wool BMW for many years. As a design engineer, I appreciate how easily maintainable the BMW is: the engineering is done very well. Minimalistic and robust. That's what I've always liked about the brand. What I haven't liked is the fact that I've gone through three final drive failures in 161k miles. I don't believe modern machinery should have that kind of drive train trouble. The 'broken axle' problem kinda went away in automobiles a few decades ago.

So, I was considering a new BMW GS, of course. While browsing the internet earlier this year for what was new for 2013, I learned that BMW is moving toward throttle-by wire. ...more whiz bang gadgetry, and a departure from simple reliability. It was during that internet digging that I stumbled across the Guzzi Stelvio NTX. It piqued my interest. Then I visited a dealer. I'm impressed.

What I like the most about the Stelivo is, once again, the engineering elegance. It is a simple, bare design. I've been doing my own maintenance on my R for 9 years, and I see in the Stelvio that a very similar design philosophy. I've worked on my two previous Honda's, and my wife's Triumph. Simplicity in design is the ultimate sophistication. It takes a lot of hard work to make something simple and functional. But the end result is likely something that works - and lasts. That's what I'm after in a motorcycle. Afterall, I really don't want to change horses until I can see 200,000 on the clock. I expect the same from my next ride.

What I've liked the most about the BMW ridability is the front telelever suspension. The Stelvio front end is nothing like it... more of a classic slider fork. I don't even see a fork brace. I haven't ridden one yet - would someone care to comment on the stability of the front end without even a cross brace? That's my biggest concern.

Another thing I like about the Stelvio is the absolutely gorgeous lines. Love the look of the bike. Sleek and rugged. Very unique. Would someone comment on the overall reliability of the latest model? Highest milage, anyone?

How does the bike hold up in snow / slush / salty winters? I ride year round here in north east MA. I stud my tires in the winter. The bimmer was six years old when we moved form SoCal to MA, so riding in the salty winters wasn't so much of a heart break. She gets a bath every year, and cleans up very well for an old lady. How robust is the Guzzi finish?

I'm sure there will be a lot of other questions, but if I'm serious enough to look this much away from BMW, I'm rather serious. I've liked what I've researched enough so far to join this forum... been lurking for about a week.

As I asked the salesman at Seacoast Sport Cycle in NH: "Why should I buy the Stelvio?"

Oaktree said:
As I asked the salesman at Seacoast Sport Cycle in NH: "Why should I buy the Stelvio?"

One reason is unlike BMWs, the rear drive doesn't fail. The forks today aren't like the old days. They are of sufficient diameter and strength that a fork brace isn't needed. As for you other questions, others will respond. Hopefully the next time I go back to New England (family is in Georgetown and Groveland) we can get together.

Three final drives, and you still think they are robust and reliable? Have you looked recently at just how "simple" the new Beemers are? I agree, simplicity is the ultimate engineering elegance. BMW has forgotten that.
If you like the telever, ride the Stelvio. That should about do it. It handles like a sport bike.
Is the Stelvio perfect? Uh, no.. but IMHO, it's better than Ze Vorld's best Engineered Motorcycle for less money. <shrug> :D

john zibell said:
Oaktree said:
Hopefully the next time I go back to New England (family is in Georgetown and Groveland) we can get together.

It's a small world. When my family and I moved here from Sandy Eggo, CA, we bought a house in Groveland, MA. The move was for a job transfer. The company president recommended the Georgetown area. We're nearly on the West Newbury line. Nice area.

My wife and I both grew up in south Missouri. All our family is back there.

No machine is perfect. Every one has their quirks. You grow to love 'em. I've spent more hours behind these handlebars than I have behind all steering wheels combined in the last 12 years.

Attachments

• PostService.jpg
    PostService.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 1,365
If you have seen my posts you will know I am one of the ones that got a less than perfect Stelvio. A lot of fit and finish and other running problems. Like you, I came from BMW, loved the lines of the bike and the more simplified engineering. No need to buy a complete set of Torx tools here. :D My mistake was buying the thing and literally taking off within days of purchase on my long awaited and overdue trip. Getting home and discovering the out of whack body and windshield parts, the already broken body mounting tabs, the badly routed wiring and the right from factory out of sync TBs. Because I was leaving I shrugged these things off thinking, I can take care of this stuff. What I should have done was take it back to the dealer and tell them they had two choices. Get me another one quick or give me the $18000+ I had just given them.
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this bike. It is total riding pleasure. It's long range, high speed cruising capabilities have to be unmatched. Off road(because of its weight, I think) it is rock steady.
You spoke of the forks. My F8 had Marzocchis. Almost identical. These came with the the added bonus of adjusters. I used the F800 a lot more off road and those forks took some good whacks. I was surprised to find at a previous service that these ones were failing. They are being assembled as we speak with new slides, seals and whatever, under warranty. Almost all my warranty issues are being addresses as we speak. The only annoying part has been I haven't seen my bike in six weeks. I got weekly replies that the parts were on route. and, finally, it's coming to an end. But I still have the warped rotors. Something I have had for thousands of miles but was not able to find a shop to deal with them. Now, they have told me I have too many mikes on the bike. :lol:
So, customer support and service has a long way to go. Altho when I search 'Find a Dealer' I see many more than when I started my trip. So I guess they are getting certified. Still none in Maritimes Canada.
Drive train and engine in general. Bulletproof. Checking my oil thru several services has revealed good clean stuff and no surprises. The silly assed signal mirrors you would find out will need to be replaced before they fall apart. Putting a Mistral or one of Todd's cans on it will bring out no better sounding growl in the world of motorcycling and riding one for a week will make you a firm believer.
I am even entertaining the thought of unloading this bike when I get back to Canada and buying a 2013. But now that I know what to look for I would be going over that one with a fine tooth comb before purchase.
;)

Upside down forks are very stiff,therefore no fork brace required.I used to have a GS 1150,took a long test ride on a Stelvio and bought one.Just try one,but be prepared to buy!

....This Stelvio is the most pleasureable ride of my 44years of riding...although my'82 Laverda RGS was quite good.......I never get an emotional connection when riding BMW.... And, the 'boulevarding' feel of brisk tarmac riding with Stelvio , is simply unmatched.....Offroad?....ride something else...And, keep in mind, mine was (is) one of the early ones with imperfections galore.....I LOVE THIS THING!

My Stelvio is a 2009 model. I have taken steps to correct the niggling little flaws it came with, e.g., the small fuel tank (added a Stucchi Luigi supplemental tank), the self-destructing mirror turn-signals (installed the Euro signals and substituted sport mirrors), etc. I can't say enough good things about this machine. It scratches my itch like no other bike ever has. While I do not take it on forest trails, I now enjoy dirt and gravel roads like I never have before. My Mistral exhaust sounds authoritative, but not obnoxious, and it is a superbly comfortable touring machine. The front forks are stiff. As others have said, there is no need for a brace. Guzzis have soul; there is no question about it. If you are able to take a Stelvio for a test ride, do it. It will sell itself to you.

Cheers,

Bruce

I have owned a 2009 Stelvio and a 2012 Stelvio (current)

Both are great bikes. I could easily recommend either or both! :D

In comparison to the Beemers, I think what is really important to consider is the ergonomics and seat height.

Unless your are tall 6' 01" plus . . . the Guzzi is much more accessible and comfortable . . . it's a bike for the average person . . . the Beemer is for NBA candidates and the like . . . . :D

As a buddy of mine said: there are three setting for seat height on the Beemer:
tall, taller and tallest!!

Something you have access to in Mass is an abundance of guzzi dealers. You have Seacoast (the bomb!), A-J cycle in Gill, one in Worcester and one in New Haven. Most folks that ride these things can't even imagine that scenario, but love em all the same.

I can't recommend enough tuning the bike with Todd (he's the forum moderator)

I absolutely adore mine and will be riding it through the winter. We will see how the finish holds up, I've just turned 3,000 miles on her, and somewhere in the last 1,000 miles the motor has smoothed out to amazing.

As far as the forks go I personally love em. I am confident turning the big girl all the way to the edges of the tires.

Since you're looking at a current model go over it carefully. Look for stripped fastener heads. Lay down next to it and check for rubber hoses on the exhaust. Try and hold your passion in check and be critical. I've found a fair number of little things on mine that have been minor but annoying.

Good luck & PM me if you want to take mine for a test ride. I'm over in S Hadley.

Merry Christmas,

James

Not sure where you're located (I'm in Salem, MA) but if you'd like to take one for a spin some time, I'd be more than happy to have you take it for a ride. I think once you ride it, you'll understand. I am approaching 40k miles on my 09 now and love it more each day.

I wouldn't necessarily say Seacoast is an awesome dealer (seem more interested in selling Ducati's and Aprilia's) and sometimes have no idea what Guzzi is doing for upcoming models. They have been successful with Guzzi, but their real passion is Ducati. I bought both my Stelvio and the wife's Griso SE there. I use them for service sometimes when I don't have time, or tire changes. The service department guys are pretty good and I've had good luck with them.

The dealer in Worcerster is a waste of real estate and as far as I know, isn't selling Guzzi anymore. At the very least, he never has any on the floor.

AJ's is sorta the same deal. Really a BMW shop. Will occasionally have Guzzi's around. Really nice people though.

For you Mass residents, make a mark in your calendar for the Mass Guzzi Rally this year. We've changed venues to a much nicer spot in Russel, MA at the Noble View Rec. site. August 9-11. Not be missed. The party of the year.

WitchCityBallabio said:
Not sure where you're located (I'm in Salem, MA) but if you'd like to take one for a spin some time, I'd be more than happy to have you take it for a ride. I think once you ride it, you'll understand. I am approaching 40k miles on my 09 now and love it more each day.

Ah-ha! I'm quite close to Salem. In fact the company I work for was recently acquired by Excelitas. I'm now commuting from Groveland, MA to Salem down 97, 35, 114, to Shetland Industrial Park on Congress Street.

I would venture a guess that your Stelvio was the first one that I ever saw before I even knew what a Stelvio was. I saw one in Salem last year sitting at a stop light. Made me rubber-neck.

BravoBravo said:
My Stelvio is a 2009 model. I have taken steps to correct the niggling little flaws it came with, e.g., the small fuel tank (added a Stucchi Luigi supplemental tank), the self-destructing mirror turn-signals (installed the Euro signals and substituted sport mirrors), etc. I can't say enough good things about this machine. It scratches my itch like no other bike ever has. While I do not take it on forest trails, I now enjoy dirt and gravel roads like I never have before. My Mistral exhaust sounds authoritative, but not obnoxious, and it is a superbly comfortable touring machine. The front forks are stiff. As others have said, there is no need for a brace. Guzzis have soul; there is no question about it. If you are able to take a Stelvio for a test ride, do it. It will sell itself to you.

Cheers,

Bruce
Being new to the Guzzi world with a 2012 Stelvio, I totally agree with Bruce, the Guzzi just has something about it that makes it the perfect machine for me.
Keith

I did it. I went to Seacoast and rode a new Stelvio... and liked it. However, I was expecting a little more acceleration. I told the salesman that I thought my bimmer had more acceleration. He adamantly denied that, but my butt-dyno says otherwise. On my bimmer, a quick twist of the throttle and the torque is there, instantly. On the Stelvio, it felt more like a naturally aspirated engine - there was a slight delay in the onset of torque, like the power was feathered-in when I abruptly cracked the throttle.

...that is, if I had to find something wrong with it...

Overall, it's my favorite of everything I'm considering. But, a serious long term investment merits a lot of different test rides... :laugh:

She definitely has soul. I think there's a lot of untapped potential there for tuning and proper valve clearances. With a little time and diligence, I believe I could take some of the shake out of the lower rpms - I hope that isn't a blasphemous statement. I get the charm of the vibe, but I also get a charge out of getting in to the zen of tuning a twin.

The thing most people don't realize about Guzzi's is that they love to rev. A common mistake for someone new to the marque is that they'll toodle around at 2-3500 rpm. Guzzi's (all of mine anyway) really live at 4-6000 rpm. If you didn't have the chance to run it up in the rpm range, you'll see what I'm talking about when you ride my 09.

They're more than happy to poke along all day at lower rpm's, but the real fun starts at 4000.

:D

I agree with him^^^^^

Come on people!
What is the point in test riding a bike if you're not gonna even get in the power band!
Forget that 2000/3000rpm crap because when you come back, you still don't have a clue what the bike is all about.
Not to mention that the 8V Guzzi is all business past 5000rpm.

As for torque, no boxer mill pulls stronger than the big block Guzzi so I blame in on the fact that the Stelvio wasn't broken in yet and not set up right...

Pascal said:
I agree with him^^^^^

Come on people!
What is the point in test riding a bike if you're not gonna even get in the power band!
Forget that 2000/3000rpm crap because when you come back, you still don't have a clue what the bike is all about.

As for torque, no boxer mill pulls stronger than the big block Guzzi so I blame in on the fact that the Stelvio wasn't broken in yet and not set up right...

Hey, now... I had the test bike bouncing off redline in first and second. ...and tried to explore throttle response across the engine range. With my R1100R, the throttle response is crisp and immediate from 2k north to 5k... peaks around 5, then rolls off. Flicking the throttle at 2.5 to 3 will pick it up off the ground in first. I guess it's kind of agricultural in that regard - lots of grunt in the lower RPMs. But, I haven't ridden many other bikes in the last 13 years for any substantial time but my own and my wife's '01 Triumph Adventurer. My wrist is VERY calibrated to the BMW. So, that's why I'm interested in riding a different Stelvio. There's gotta be something I missed the first time around.

I also test rode a 2012 Vstrom DL1000 recently. While gradually rolling on the throttle in first, the front launched off the road at about 1/3 throttle. As I continued to open it up, she stayed aloft all the way to redline at 10k. That bike made me giggle. But that's all she had going for her. No soul whatsoever.

Oaktree...

Just from the brief talk about throttle response and picking up the front wheel kind of thing, I can suppose this isn't the best bike for you. The Guzzi is a cool ride, it is what it is . I believe there is a better fit elsewhere... Multi, Explorer, Capo, 13 GS...

Those bikes might have the throttle response you enjoy, a slow reving big twin with loads a feel is something of a different pattern. You might come to love the Guzzi...when you accept it's limitations and understand what it wants from you.

Just my opinion... I have the Stelvio, it's a great bike, I would never say it has explosive power, it doesn't, it doesn't need it either. It's rustic, rough, close to the land kind of thing...in tune with sensual things... nothing slick here... pasta and beans

Vivo

Oaktree said:
Pascal said:
I agree with him^^^^^

Come on people!

Hey, now... I had the test bike bouncing off redline in first and second. ...and tried to explore throttle response across the engine range. With my R1100R, the throttle response is crisp and immediate from 2k north to 5k... peaks around 5, then rolls off. Flicking the throttle at 2.5 to 3 will pick it up off the ground in first. I guess it's kind of agricultural in that regard - lots of grunt in the lower RPMs. But, I haven't ridden many other bikes in the last 13 years for any substantial time but my own and my wife's '01 Triumph Adventurer. My wrist is VERY calibrated to the BMW. So, that's why I'm interested in riding a different Stelvio. There's gotta be something I missed the first time around.

I also test rode a 2012 Vstrom DL1000 recently. While gradually rolling on the throttle in first, the front launched off the road at about 1/3 throttle. As I continued to open it up, she stayed aloft all the way to redline at 10k. That bike made me giggle. But that's all she had going for her. No soul whatsoever.

My bad then...
Most of my friends have Bimmers, from RTs to GSs1200 and 800 etc... and I tried them all except for the big GS. I can't even touch the ground, lol (I'm 5.7).
None of them have the grunt of the big guzzi at any rpm. Now mind you, I have a Griso which is lighter than the Stelvio but still... A boxer the same weight category like your bike is no match to my Griso.
I'm aware that the 8V mill isn't the most powerful thing out there but with just a revised map it's a pure blast.
Test riding a Stelvio already broken in if possible, would be the best test you can get especially since it takes a lot of miles to break in a big block Guzzi. Mine is finally there at 32K miles. :D

Back