• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Snapped forks...

notasweetman

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I had a fork seal leak recently which led me to look more closely than usual at my forks - and I realised that both forks had snapped pinch plates. Since I am well out of warranty, and I'd ridden at least 1000 miles since my last front wheel change (when I imagine the bolts were over-tightened and too late to get the tyre fitters to pay for the damage) I went onto the forum for advice and I'm looking at £600.00 + tax for each leg, which I don't have. Deep depression.

But I live in the West Midlands of England (cradle of the Industrial Revolution, etc, etc.) and I wondered if any of the hundreds of small engineering companies that we have here could weld my forks, instead of replacing them? I found a chap nearby who welds aluminium and alloys and asked him if he could repair my forks. "Oh, yes. No problem."

It cost me £25.00 cash - about $30.00 US. Since the repair I've done about 500 miles at all speeds and on all (tarmac) surfaces with no problems. The guy used 5356 welding wire and made sure the welds slow cooled in air. I left the outside welds proud and only ground out room for new M6 allen bolts - like the later legs should have. My original bolts were the collared 10mm nuts.

So far, no problems. I'm off to Italy in September so I'll keep you posted.

Unfortunately I took no pictures of the unpainted and un-Dremmeled forks, so I hope you can see how he did it from my poor mobile shots.

Attachments

• 20130620_152144.jpg
    20130620_152144.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,438
  • 20130620_152117.jpg
    20130620_152117.jpg
    675.8 KB · Views: 1,437
This should be a warranty issue. Check with your local dealer or Corsa Italiano, or call customer service. Post back when you speak with someone.

I'll do that, but in the meanwhile I need to keep riding! Mine's a '09 that I've had from new - does the warranty extend that far back? From what I've read on this forum MG only honours claims within the 2 years. I had a new front (my 4th) last February, which is when the spanner monkey must have snapped my forks... :S

More like an extreme case warranty. Or how about a life or death issue. With more than 20 years of welding experience I have to say that even tho it is prolly an excellent weld, (only an xray would tell for sure) the location would have me more than careful about it. Inspect it frequently and carefully. :!:

I agree that welding that part seems scary. But keep in mind his and many others cracked and in many cases they continued to ride the bike with no serious issues until they discovered the crack. Even with that part cracked/broken as long as the bolts stay tight the axle and wheel are not going to fall off without further catastrophic failure.
But I would push for warranty, dangerous defects like that tend to be resolved well beyond the warranty period as it looks bad to have people die on your product. I am pretty sure I have heard of people getting that fixed long after the warranty expired. It is a known issue.

notasweetman said:
I'll do that, but in the meanwhile I need to keep riding! Mine's a '09 that I've had from new - does the warranty extend that far back? From what I've read on this forum MG only honours claims within the 2 years. I had a new front (my 4th) last February, which is when the spanner monkey must have snapped my forks... :S

My brother, Steve, had his done under warranty middle of last year, it's a 2008 bike.. Stoke-on-Trent area..

windy

I've seen this on two other forums, it seems to be more a problem caused by tyre shops with airtools over tightening what is a potential weak spot for many bikes. In spite of the "free fitting" I always take off and refit my own wheels, it's also a chance to check the bearings, brake calipers and pads and so on. The welder sounds like a top man, remember you frame is held together with weld so I wouldn't over worry about it!

When i found mine broke i contacted a main and told them about the fork snapping ,they took my details and said they would coctact the factory,they later contacted me and said that because my bike was a 2008 model with 30,000 kms it would not be covered be moto guzzi .

I have an '09 Stelvio. I noticed a crack at the bottom of my left fork. I called piaggio in New York and asked if there was a recall for it. They said "no" but there is a different recall - the center stand. I took my bike to the shop. They are going to replace the center stand as the recall states and Piaggio agreed to have the left fork replaced at no charge. Thank goodness!

Hi all,

I went to Italy and back, nearly 3000 miles on all kinds of roads including many cobbled streets, potholes, mountain roads etc. The fork welds are still fine. As suggested I check them every ride but so far no problems. My local dealer in Worcester has seen this problem several times and has had no luck with outdated warranty claims, so I'm happy to carry on with the welded forks for as long as they last...

Back