• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New California 1400 Touring

steveford

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Famiglia
I picked up my new 1400 on the 17th from Moto Guzzi Portland and headed to the Oregon Guzzi Club's Jim Brandes Memorial Camp Out on the Oregon coast. It was one wet weekend, didn't even ride the bike on Sat. Sunday I rode from Tillamook to Newport and into Corvalis for the OVM bike show. Lot's of people checking this bad boy out. All I can say is what an amazing machine. I feel totally at ease in the first 600 miles compared to my EV's. A lot more room for this big guy, tons of power, handles great, and a very plush ride. Now all I need is a trailer hitch so I can tow my camper. Should be coming soon. All it took was a test ride and it was a done deal for me. I would predict some great sales for Guzzi with this machine. :D :D :D

941925_10200662753084467_618155746_n.jpg

What don't you like about it?
I'm trying to find reasons not to buy one. LOL!

So far the biggest complaint is for a 1400 that is not tracking true but it looks like Guzzi is taking care of it. The only other complaint is muffler guards loosening up in about 300 miles.

Seriously I would like to know what people don't like about them. It kinda scares me that so many people are singing high praises especially bike magazines who traditionally have barely tolerated Guzzi's.

Anyway thanks so much for the report!

Trout said:

So far the biggest complaint is for a 1400 that is not tracking true but it looks like Guzzi is taking care of it. The only other complaint is muffler guards loosening up in about 300 miles.

Seriously I would like to know what people don't like about them. It kinda scares me that so many people are singing high praises especially bike magazines who traditionally have barely tolerated Guzzi's.

Whats not to like?.....well I havent ridden one and am not likely to because I'm not a "touring/cruiser" guy,so having said that I'll make a comment on the styling.
The one thing about this bike that I simply cant believe can come out of factory with a dedicated Stying team is that fuel tank.Specifically the tank cutouts for the cylinders. That aspect is the most amaturish,backyard builder, oh look the tank doesnt fit so we'll just bodge some cutouts in the side of it abomination I've ever seen. Who was responsible for this? "Paul Jr" from OCC?
Its a total styling embarrassment for mine.
Ciao

lucky phil said:
Trout said:

Whats not to like?.....well I havent ridden one and am not likely to because I'm not a "touring/cruiser" guy,so having said that I'll make a comment on the styling.
The one thing about this bike that I simply cant believe can come out of factory with a dedicated Stying team is that fuel tank.Specifically the tank cutouts for the cylinders. That aspect is the most amaturish,backyard builder, oh look the tank doesnt fit so we'll just bodge some cutouts in the side of it abomination I've ever seen. Who was responsible for this? "Paul Jr" from OCC?
Its a total styling embarrassment for mine.
Ciao
HMMmmm i thought the cut outs were well done , i have always loved the Guzzi engine , in fact i think it the best looking twin out there..for me the cut outs lend to the motor make it stand out even more...
Guzzi needs bike like this to bring attention to the mark and they are on track as far as i can see...
I see no bodge , and really its much harder to make a tank with cut outs than to not...
Ahhh each to his own ..i guess

Doesn't matter, everything is always so subjective...
You can even come up with the best designs and you'll have people that think it's butt ugly anyway.
After all, people bought the Pontiac Aztek, the Scion and even the Nissan Cube lol.

Trout said:

Hi Trout, what does it matter what anybody else thinks? Buy a bike that you like, that fits you, that suites your riding style/preference and most importantly, the bike that puts the biggest smile on your face. Then it doesn't matter a flying truck what anybody else thinks, you should be happy.

Look at my bike (avatar), I'm sure some people will think what a waste of time and money.
I like the feel of the short stroke engine and I am happy, Everything else on the bike is either acceptable, or easily modifiable so I can build the bike I want. Some love it, some don't, but I didn't buy it or build it to suite anybody elses tastes, just mine.

As for magazines - believe nothing you hear and half what you see. Cash for comment???
Most often I have opposing views to magazine journos and it's not hard to find articles by same in Womens Knitting Monthly etc. They're journos not motorcyclists!

Of the serious full time motorcycling journos, most are blinded by the hype and marketing bullshit promoted by the factories, like 1000cc sports bikes with 168kg dry weight. Fluids add about 25kg (=193kg) yet most weigh close to 208kg with full tanks. That makes 15kg of bullshit in my book, yet the Australian Editors have refused for years to print the truth.

Ride it? Love it? Buy it!

what not to like:

top heavy
flywheel too light
drive line whines and snatches in lower gears
rubber mounts makes bike feel like the clutch is chattering when pulling out in 1st
6th useless under 60 mph
stock saddle sucks
28mm to 22mm handle bars are not an industry standard, good luck with alternatives
windshield mounts to light bar, can't have former w/o latter
accessory "gel" seat is a POS/joke
rear peg on shifter interferes with rearward movement of left foot
heat shield screws vibrate out
no up down adjustment on cruise control
have to remove bags and possibly mounts to remove rear wheel
one off oil filter buried in oil pan, need special tool to remove
BS plastic covers over starter and trans drain
oil drained from trans and sump spews over frame and hoses under bike
tool kit is a joke (2 allen wrenches, screwdriver, shock preload tool)

that is what I can think of off the top of my head...

mtiberio said:
what not to like:

top heavy
flywheel too light
drive line whines and snatches in lower gears
rubber mounts makes bike feel like the clutch is chattering when pulling out in 1st
6th useless under 60 mph
stock saddle sucks
28mm to 22mm handle bars are not an industry standard, good luck with alternatives
windshield mounts to light bar, can't have former w/o latter
accessory "gel" seat is a POS/joke
rear peg on shifter interferes with rearward movement of left foot
heat shield screws vibrate out
no up down adjustment on cruise control
have to remove bags and possibly mounts to remove rear wheel
one off oil filter buried in oil pan, need special tool to remove
BS plastic covers over starter and trans drain
oil drained from trans and sump spews over frame and hoses under bike
tool kit is a joke (2 allen wrenches, screwdriver, shock preload tool)

that is what I can think of off the top of my head...

Wow! So OK! I asked for it & appreciate it. In all seriousness are you ready to sell? If you are email me or send a PM.
Trout

ghezzi said:
Trout said:

Hi Trout, what does it matter what anybody else thinks? Buy a bike that you like, that fits you, that suites your riding style/preference and most importantly, the bike that puts the biggest smile on your face. Then it doesn't matter a flying truck what anybody else thinks, you should be happy.

Look at my bike (avatar), I'm sure some people will think what a waste of time and money.
I like the feel of the short stroke engine and I am happy, Everything else on the bike is either acceptable, or easily modifiable so I can build the bike I want. Some love it, some don't, but I didn't buy it or build it to suite anybody elses tastes, just mine.

As for magazines - believe nothing you hear and half what you see. Cash for comment???
Most often I have opposing views to magazine journos and it's not hard to find articles by same in Womens Knitting Monthly etc. They're journos not motorcyclists!

Of the serious full time motorcycling journos, most are blinded by the hype and marketing bullshit promoted by the factories, like 1000cc sports bikes with 168kg dry weight. Fluids add about 25kg (=193kg) yet most weigh close to 208kg with full tanks. That makes 15kg of bullshit in my book, yet the Australian Editors have refused for years to print the truth.

Ride it? Love it? Buy it!

Oh, It doesn't matter what others think, never has, look at my Avatar also. I do like to hear others opinions it's very interesting & you never know what will come out of it. After reading his last post it looks like MT is falling off the Guzzi wagon and I can understand that totally. My 2011 Black Eagle has been a love hate relationship for over 12,000 miles but I'd still rather ride it than any other brand, especially after having ridden this brand for 40+ years. Viva Guzzi!

mtiberio said:
Dont get me wrong, I love the bike, I just don't ignore it's flaws...

I had good laugh reading your former post and thought;
If you still love it after all that you could nearly own a Harley! :D

Its all the bad (or should I say, less than satisfactory according to my whims) stuff about Guzzi's I love, coz it gives me the excuse to redesign the wheel, as well as the confidence that I can make it better. Again, according to my whims, precepts and ambitions.

Re: New California 1400 Touring with more Top Case pics.

Here's a few pics. of my California from different angles with the top case installed.
1048811_10200874116888430_1984049493_o.jpg

1009757_10200874116848429_1201043893_n.jpg

1063733_10200874116928431_1566283978_o.jpg

390143_10200874116808428_2038162662_n.jpg

1040124_10200874116968432_1114244526_o.jpg

Steve:
Is it safe to assume your top case is the 50L
size? I love the way you have you bike set up! Right now im trying just to make sure I'm making the right choice because dealer support near me is few and FAR between. What have you done to keep the heat shield screws from falling out? Is there anything I should be asking for when I go to pick up the bike from the service people? Honestly, what I don't like is having a dealer who is selling these bikes not know much about it.

Thanks!
Yarvis

mtiberio said:
yea, no historical precedence for this thing...

c0089132_23561534.jpg

core_import_DSCN1536.JPG.b4cf24fcf945de67448c97fcaa6040ab.jpg

moto_newsblog.com%20(5).jpg

Mike-Vils-near-Flagstaff.jpg

excelsior-1-532.jpg

75230022-1915Iver.jpg

harley-davidson-racer.jpg

Museum-1920.jpg
Historical precedence is irrelevant, if it lacks "quality" and "rightness" then it just does.
Just because its been done before doesnt make it "right"

Re: New California 1400 Touring with more Top Case pics.

steveford said:
Here's a few pics. of my California from different angles with the top case.

I love the top case and it looks like the larger 60L. I just can not justify in my mind 10% of the cost of the bike for a luggage rack and case.

I need to get my two cents in here. I am 100% NOT a cruiser guy……………………but I would love to own/ride the 1400!

Brett said:
I need to get my two cents in here. I am 100% NOT a cruiser guy……………………but I would love to own/ride the 1400!

Count me in on the 100% not a a cruiser guy. One of the dumbest mistakes mistakes I made was selling my 2007 Norge, the first European bike I had ever owned, for a 2010 BMW R1200GS. I kept the BMW 6 months before it went up for sale and 3 more months before I sold it at a silly loss. I bought a Suzuki DL650 V-Strom Adventure to go with the 1998 Honda Pacific Coast int the garage but I needed a Guzzi fix. I also wanted something I could ride 2-up with the lady friend.

After visiting the Cleveland I-X center motorcycle show I decided that I could like a California Touring. Sure enough the next day I ran across a white one for sale in Lexington, KY for $14,000 with 500 miles on it. After bringing it home in the snow and freezing weather yesterday it is now sitting in my garage. I can't wait for warm weather. :woohoo:

abbienormal said:
After visiting the Cleveland I-X center motorcycle show I decided that I could like a California Touring. Sure enough the next day I ran across a white one for sale in Lexington, KY for $14,000 with 500 miles on it. After bringing it home in the snow and freezing weather yesterday it is now sitting in my garage. I can't wait for warm weather.
Congrats! This the one that was also listed in the Classifieds here?

Also guys, I have no real Registry info for any of the Tours on the road, mind posting your info(?); https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/topic?f=213&t=11538

Back