• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Nylon cover melted on headers

rroe

Just got it firing!
After searching the forum archives and finding nothing on the topic, I have concluded that I may be the only person to have made the following stupid mistake(s).

Last month, I was putting my V7R away after riding it on the weekend. After shutting down and putting it into the Sport Chock, I slipped a cheap nylon cover over the bike and locked the storage area. When I came back the following weekend, I found portions of the nylon cover melted onto the first foot or so of both exhaust pipes extending from the cylinder heads. I tried scraping the melted nylon with a plastic card. I tried ProtectAll. I tried adhesive remover. Nothing got the hardened stuff off the pipes. Finally, I scrubbed most of it off with steel wool. While that worked, it also removed the chrome on that portion of the pipes.

As I see it, I have four options: (a) live with the pipes as they are; (b) buy new replacement header pipes; (c) have the existing pipes wrapped with insulating tape like the old-style cafe bikes; or (d) have the existing pipes polished and either re-chromed or ceramic coated.

Any thoughts on what would be the best alternative? I like the idea of ceramic coating or wrapping the pipes because the bike spends a lot of its time in a wet climate.

heating the engine to get the pipes hot then wiping the plastic off quickly with a rag that wont melt would have worked to an extent. I have had numerous sucessfull attempts over the years on customers bikes doing this. Now options C or D soung good.
cheers

Good point about wrapping the pipes. I am now leaning toward ceramic coating; but that will depend on cost and durability.

I have melted several items onto pipes over the years, one was a Bilt helmet from Cycle Gear. I left one hanging on the bars of my Royal Enfield and it managed to lean on the pipe. Melted a hole right through it! Then a short time later I through a jacket on the tank and the sleeve fell o the pipe. Burnt a hole about 6" long down the sleeve. Of course, both items left their "ashes" on the tank. I use an Xacto knive to shave the bigger lumps off, Then use Westley's Chrome Brite to finish wiping off the rest. It gets the pipe looking like new.
Bare

I covered all parts of bike, frame, tank, wheels, forks etc. I ran bike a couple minutes to warm up pipes. I sprayed oven cleaner on the melted material and let set for 15 min's or so. Wiped off with sponge and warm water. Worked great for me. Make sure to avoid fumes when applying and do not get any over spray on any parts of the bike.

BTDT.

I found that aircraft finish remover ... available at "better" auto-parts places, especially those connected with paint shops ... is the answer. Will also remove your fingernails if you need that. :woohoo:

Seriously, get it on your paint and you'll understand how it gets its name. BTDT, too. :whistle:

Bill

Bill Hagan said:
BTDT.

I found that aircraft finish remover ... available at "better" auto-parts places, especially those connected with paint shops ... is the answer. Will also remove your fingernails if you need that. :woohoo:

Seriously, get it on your paint and you'll understand how it gets its name. BTDT, too. :whistle:

Bill

:blink: :mrgreen:

BTW, also time will eventually burn of the residues.

I ran this question by the salesman who sold me the bike. He is a true Guzzi fan and said he twice melted the sleeves of nylon jackets draped over the tank on his personal V7 before deciding to wrap his pipes. Heat problems solved. As far as the wrap holding moisture, he says heat from the pipes should evaporate any moisture the wrap might absorb when riding in wet conditions. Makes sense to me.

Looks like I will try wrapping the pipes first and see how that works out. The only remaining question is: white or black wrap (for a 2013 V7R).

I would ceramic coat your pipes based on your location, and then I would use a cover that has an aluminized section that is designed to handle the heat from the pipes instead of a pure nylon cover. or better yet get one of those bikini covers that doesn't cover the exhaust.

rroe said:
I ran this question by the salesman who sold me the bike. He is a true Guzzi fan and said he twice melted the sleeves of nylon jackets draped over the tank on his personal V7 before deciding to wrap his pipes. Heat problems solved. As far as the wrap holding moisture, he says heat from the pipes should evaporate any moisture the wrap might absorb when riding in wet conditions. Makes sense to me.

Looks like I will try wrapping the pipes first and see how that works out. The only remaining question is: white or black wrap (for a 2013 V7R).

Small world! Bobby @ Pro Italia? I think I saw your bike for sale the other week too, looked great. A shame you decided to get rid of it.

It was a tough decision putting the bike up for sale, especially in view of the fact that it is one of only two V7Rs in the country with the Record kit installed, according to Pro Italia. But I just bought two new bikes (for a current total of five) and the V7R would likely not be ridden much. Better to sell it to someone who will use it on a regular basis.

Incidentally, to answer the question I posed at the start of this thread, Pro Italia ended up wrapping the pipes with black insulating wrap. After seeing how good it now looks, my resolve to sell the bike started to weaken, but at the moment it is still for sale at Pro Italia.

Back