• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Funnels for motor, gearbox, and carc oil changes ?

ett

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
What funnels is everyone using to change the oils on their Grisos ?

I have not found any funnel suitable for filling the CARC.
I'm slowly filling the CARC by dribbling in the oil in via a measuring beaker.
VERY time consuming and messy if a breeze is in the air.

For the gearbox I've been using a Wirthco Flexible Spout as a funnel.
It doesn't really flex so much as it folds. Rendering it nearly useless:
32157_LRC.jpg

For the motor I've been using a Rhino Gear Super Funnel:
05034.jpg

But due to angle of having to clear the cylinder. I have to bend the funnel.
Causing it to crack near it's end and drips oils along the outside of the motor.

For the CARC; I haven't been able to find a funnel narrow enough to fit inside the CARC's oil fill hole.
For the gearbox; I would like a funnel that forms a 90 degree angle.
For the motor; I would like something like the Super Funnel that is flexible WITHOUT having an accordion style spout.
And everything I've found (at least in stores near me) either has an accordion style spout or it's spout is too wide.
I considered simply attaching a hose (fuel ?) to the spout of a funnel.
But to avoid messy slip ups; I'd really like to be able to rest the funnel into the fill holes.

Anyone have some suggestions ?

Thanks;
--ET

I've been using the Rhino for 30 years - still have the same one. Didn't even know it had a name...
I use a similar one but smaller for the B11 gear box with the bike on the sidestand. And found a super narrow mini funnel for the carc.

I use plastic oiler bottle to fill the transmission and final drive.

img55405659.jpg

If you couldn't get this, I reckon a ketchup bottle work as good.

For engine oil, I have this dispenser with a flexible spout, work like a charm!

od6qt.jpg

Buy your oil in 20 litre drums and buy two drum pumps. initial expense is higher but overall costs are much lower and filling is a breeze.

Really though? You're finding it difficult to find a funnel? Most 'Wottalottacrap Auto' type places have them in a huge range of shapes and sizes.

Pete

kmac33 said:
I use an 18 inch flexible neck metal funnel that I got at Harbor Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-fl ... -5934.html
Works extremely well for oil fills. For the CARC, I just use a small plastic funnel.

pete roper said:

Really though? You're finding it difficult to find a funnel? Most 'Wottalottacrap Auto' type places have them in a huge range of shapes and sizes.

Pete

Every auto parts store or Wallyworld I visited; for a total of nearly one dozen stores.
Only had plastic flexible funnels with accordion style spouts.
I've found those plastic accordion style spouts usually crack and begin leaking after just a few uses.
And none of those stores had funnels with spouts small enough to fit into the CARC fill hole.

I never even thought about Harbor Freight.
I assumed they would have the same funnels as Wallyworld and all the auto part stores.
But to my surprise; they had exactly what I've been looking for.
The old school flexible metal funnels and funnels small enough to fit the CARC.

Thanks everyone !

Hi ett
It's only called commuting if you are using four wheels; if you're using two wheels it's called riding.

Love that saying & how true.
And if it's on a Griso it's all the better.

Harry

I find it amazing that a smack freak can be intuitive enough to improvise by rolling a $10 note to use as a straw.

Whatever happened to the saying, "Moto Guzzi, making mechanics out of riders since 1921"?

Cut the arse out of a small coke bottle. The plastic ones dopey, not glass!

I've used a horse syringe from a vet, very accurate too.

Hell, when I was young I even used peanut butter to seal around the garden hose because the hole in the OJ bottle was too big, but I ain't admittin' to nuttin'. OK? :whistle:

I just changed over from using funnels, so I'll comment on what I prefer. It's a 60ml syringe sold for adding oil to the gas for two-stroke motors. Instead of using its gradations to measure the oil, though, I marked a pickle jar with two lines -- one for 380ml and one for 500ml -- and use it for the bevel drive and the transmission. The jar's mouth is wide enough to easily stick the syringe in to get all the oil. This is much faster than letting thick oil drain through a funnel.

And of course it's cheap.

ghezzi said:
I find it amazing that a smack freak can be intuitive enough to improvise by rolling a $10 note to use as a straw.

Whatever happened to the saying, "Moto Guzzi, making mechanics out of riders since 1921"?

Cut the arse out of a small coke bottle. The plastic ones dopey, not glass!

I've used a horse syringe from a vet, very accurate too.

Hell, when I was young I even used peanut butter to seal around the garden hose because the hole in the OJ bottle was too big, but I ain't admittin' to nuttin'. OK? :whistle:

So I`m not the only one who`s thinking "For F**S Sake. Stop thinking you`ve got a problem, and just use whatever you can get your hands on, improvise" :lol: .

Back