• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Strange sound coming from LH cylinder head 8V

pete roper said:
I'm hoping that the 'I can't see anything wrong' comment was a joke?

Correct Pete, nothing wrong with my eyesight :lol:

More detailed pictures:

0827.jpg

0828.jpg

There is a strange wear pattern on the (inlet) cam surface seen in the first picture, a clear spot in the middle.
The cambox tunnels where the tappets run in both seem fine (by look), play seems equal on both (by feel).
The inlet adjuster caps are damaged (you can feel it), exhaust caps don't look good but damage can't be felt there.

pete roper said:
Yer tappets are pitted. Mine aren't. Gimme a front elevation view of the tappet.

Pete

First something else:

The exhaust pushrod seems a prime candidate for the rattle, the top end (facing the cam) looks and feels like someone hammered on it, the bottom has grooves from exessive turning around:

0834.jpg

0833.jpg

Before the recall a tappet broke in this cylinder head, that might explain the damage on the pushrod.
I suppose the pushrod wasn't replaced then.

Thinking about replacing the following parts:

- exhaust tappet (cost??)
- exhaust pushrod
- valve clearence adjusting screws

Can't you get someone to warranty this? I'd be going the whole schitz and replacing the carrier/cambox and everything involved with it.

When you pulled the cambox/rocker-gear you did loosen/remove the two long bolts at the back of the cam tunnel didn't you?

Pete

No way Pete, the bike has been at the dealer and the importer, both say there is nothing wrong with my bike (former dealer has inspected the parts and found nothing wrong).
Don't want to go that route again, not good for my blood pressure.

Yes I have loosend them, used the factory recall PDF ;)

I have 2009 Griso w/ 1500 miles (dealer demo) and I get a whisting sound from the RH cyclinder. Seems to happen when the bike is hot. At first it seemed to happend only while decelerating, but I have heard it now when accelerating. I am really starting to wonder about the quality of these bikes after reading numerous blogs indicating the same themes: poor fuel mapping; weird sound from the heads.................. I am experiencing both problems. Even thought the bike is under warranty, this is a hassle. Never experienced anything like this with any of the many other bikes I've owned.

The dealer claims that the recall work (cams, tappets) was done and that the latest map is installed - GRS068.

It'll go back to dealer for the 3rd time in 4 weeks! I will not be the least bit surprised if it comes back to me running like the constipated donkey I have come to know. I had hoped for a much better experience. I am not ready to give up on the bike, but it's a shame you just can't just start it up an ride it. It is a beautiful bike, great fit and finish, great heritage, bit at the end of the day, the bike needs to run without all the wierd sounds and constant stroking of the clutch to smooth things out.

klaas123 said:
No way Pete, the bike has been at the dealer and the importer, both say there is nothing wrong with my bike (former dealer has inspected the parts and found nothing wrong).
Don't want to go that route again, not good for my blood pressure.

Yes I have loosend them, used the factory recall PDF ;)

So, you *think* your bike has a problem? Your dealer says there isn't a problem and/or is incapable of dealing with it. So it's the machine's fault. Glad it works for you 'cos it doesn't for me.

Give a slightly better overview of the nature of the problem and indicate you have some idea what might be wrong and there are people here and elsewhere who will probably waste a lot of their lives trying to help. If you've decided the bike is unsatisfactory and doesn't meet your expectations? Sell it and move on. It's really that simple.

Pete

pedmondson said:
It'll go back to dealer for the 3rd time in 4 weeks! I will not be the least bit surprised if it comes back to me running like the constipated donkey I have come to know.

The whistling sound might just be the normal whistling sound that they do make. Cam chain whirring round?

Just a thought on the bad running:
I got an updated fuel map, when the cam recall work was done. Bike has been running badly, or at least not running fantastically well, since then.
The dealer did not reset the TPS after the loading the map. I now know that it is essential to do re-set, and having worked at the bike at the weekend, I saw that the TP reading was 8.8º to 10º at idle, rather than around 4.6º / 4.8º
Bike is now running much better after re-set and fuel consumption readings already look improved. (I did do other tuning work as well.)
So ask your dealer if the TPS re-set was done.

To my shame I see I've never finished this thread. After many months waiting I received the parts from Germany (did not want the Dutch importer earn a penny from me anymore). The cam housing, and a tappet + pushrod have been replaced by me and the noise was gone and still is. To be on the safe side I ad 800 ppm zinc from Camshield to the Agip oil totalling 2000 ppm zinc, also used Camshield grease to fit the camshaft. So problem solved.

On a side note the dealer stopped being a Guzzi dealer and the importer was replaced by Piaggio at the end of 2010.

Better late than never! How much more did you wait for parts? And you jave covered how much kms since the repair?

Whoa, its been three years since the last post.... It only makes me glad to see you resolved your issues and sad to see that I am three years less close to my dream bike...

Back