• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rebound adjustment on rear shock

Branded

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
I have a new Stelvio that I purchased on June 30th this year. In trying to adjust the rebound screw on the rear shock, I found that the screw is not accessible as it is behind one of the suspension bars/rods with only half of it visible. There is no way I can get a screwdriver in there to adjust this.

Should I be concerned that the shock was installed improperly? Or will the spring break in a little and reveal the screw? Or is there another approach I should take. BTW, I am 5' 8 1/2" tall and barely keep the bike upright on my tip toes when stopped. Kinda scary---Any advice on this is welcome.

Otherwise, I absolutely love everything about this bike. Rode a Triumph Sprint 900 prior.

Your shock was installed properly, it's just a less than optimal arrangement. You will have to take a bolt out of the lower link in order to get to that screw, then reassemble the link. Yes, it's a pain for what should be such a simple adjustment. As for the tip-toe issue, can't help there. The bike is tall, not much you can do other than raising the forks up through the triple trees but that will change the steering geometry and only drop the seat a small amount. Make sure your seat is in the low position, not high.

Peter Y.

Thanks pyoungbl,
What do you think about putting a hydraulic jack (with a piece of wood on it) under the shock to raise it and make the screw available for adjustment? Any issues with that...seems easier than taking the bolt out.

Hi there,

try to put some weight on the pillion seat instead before trying other solutions.
Enough weight will expose the rebound screw enough to get access to it.

Alternatively you can set the preload setting on the lowest setting (Soft, that is...) which will make it easier to access the preload adjustment screw with much less weight on the pillion seat. After doing the rebound adjustmet, set the preload setting back to what it was before.

BlizzGuzz said:
Alternatively you can set the preload setting on the lowest setting
this is what I've done; plus marked the locked ring with a sharpie.

In lieu of loading the bike I've used multiple pieces of plywood to slide under the tire to compress the shock the desired amount while on the cenderstand.

Branded said:
Thanks to you all for your great (and comforting) advice!
Also, with regard to my being on tip toes when at a stop, I'm freaked that I'm going to drop the bike which I've almost done twice already!! Will the springs soften much over the next 1-2K miles?

The ride height will not change enough to be a factor...if at all. There has been lots of discussion about this and it boils down to (1) thicker soles on your shoes, (2) a very expensive modified shock, (3) learn to balance the bike on one side or the other. I feel your pain. Although I have a 32" inseam I have a Russell seat which is as least 1/2" taller than OEM. Although I love my NTX I know that I must be very careful about where I stop. Oh, and watch out for situations where you are stopped with the bike pointed downhill. The side stand will not hold the bike back! I have almost dropped the bike twice under those situations.

Peter Y.

Branded said:
Also, with regard to my being on tip toes when at a stop, I'm freaked that I'm going to drop the bike which I've almost done twice already!! Will the springs soften much over the next 1-2K miles?
Congrats and welcome to the Forum. The spring will not sag that much, no. As stated above, either you have to swing the lower dogleg out of the way, or have someone sit on it for you. The shock is woefully inadequate, both spring and valving for anyone over 170 lbs with gear and luggage. I can get a custom rear shock made for you, should you ever want a shock that allows you to ride the bike like it was intended, and get your feet firmly on the ground. See the Store tab above for options, and/or contact me direct e-mail' Todd at GuzziTech.com

I found that if I leaned over the bike,putting my weight on the pillion seat with the bike on its side stand,it compressed the shock enough for me to get to the adjuster with a screwdriver.As for the seat height problem,I presume that you have adjusted the seat to its low setting?

1. As mentioned get someone to sit on it and you'll access the screw

2. Cheapest and best (IMO) answer is to alter the seat, although I'm tall I didn't like the way the seat slanted toward the tank and so had the stuffing changed to make it horizontal to the ground. I had it done a couple of years ago and paid £35 from memory. A good upholsterer will be able to tailor the seat to your height and firmer / softer as preferred.
The only rub is that if you have a pillion she will sit a lot taller than you.
Ray

OK, once again, great advice from all.
To Peter Y. I've already discovered the parking downhill phenomenon when I first started it up on my downhill-slopping driveway--yikes.

to Stromcat--thanks but that process sounds like a one-way trip to my chiropractor for sure.

To Todd--I will definitely consider your option of a new shock. Surprised no one has mentioned it in this string?! Have many availed themselves to this service/product?

And finally --for the rebound screw--no one said anything about if I can put a jack (and a piece of wood) under the shock and raise it enough to access the screw?

So just for closure, i tried my idea although slightly modified and it worked great!
I took a 1" x 4" piece of wood and put it under the rear wheel with the bike on its side stand. Then I took a strap about 3 feet long, slipped it under the board (actually do this before you put the wheel on the board) and attached it to the passenger foot peg. Tighten it up and adjust the rebound screw at your leisure!

Back