• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Griso Owner - 2013 Black Devil

akkidon

Just got it firing!
Hi guys,

I'd been yearning for a motorcycle for the past 6 years. Owned a 150cc Bajaj Pulsar back in the day but had to sell it when I moved to the US for university. Absolutely hated that decision but finally made up for it last week. Just bought a 2013 Griso and I absolutely love it.

Got a really good deal from my dealer, TLM Nijmegen. They also had a used tenni green with some mods but it had about 25K km's and the price difference was not that huge.

It was either the Griso or the MV Agusta Brutale but the motor and the vibes from the transverse v-twin were too good to resist.

http://sdrv.ms/11Z7C6G

http://sdrv.ms/YhR2hK

P.S. TLM has probably some of the best MG bikes available for sale and on display. Real nice people to deal with and I'd recommend without hesitation.

Attachments

• G8VBD-Akkidon2.jpg
    G8VBD-Akkidon2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,187
  • G8VBD-Akkidon1.jpg
    G8VBD-Akkidon1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,188
Welcome to the forum. Great bike. 150 cc to Griso? Just take it easy for a bit, rider training or books like Proficient Motorcycling are a good investment if you've been away for a while. Watch that rear brake, my Griso 1100 was too sensitive and could lock up in an emergency situation.

Have fun, ride safe.

Vivo

Akshay, welcome to the Forum, and congrats on the G8V BD!

I've heard only good things about TLM, so congrats there as well. Many are far from a good dealer.

Thanks for the pictures (I added them above), and post often.

As one Griso Black Devil owner to another, be sure to always wear a full face helmet. Otherwise that constant smile will heave you eating a lot of bugs!

Enjoy. :D

Thanks for the welcome. I've been lurking here for quite a while now.. doing research before I decided to take the plunge.

I was a bit nervous about the 150-1150cc jump but I was really surprised how agile and manageable it is while riding at speeds. Only have about 350Kms on it yet so have to stay below 4-4.5K. Also, the dutch roads are probably the most monitored on this planet so I will have to behave in any case. :(

The first thing that I bought was a good helmet and some riding clothes. I might take an advanced riders course soon .. does not hurt and also helps with insurance.

On a serious note, is it necessary to install one those CF huggers ? Apart from shielding the rear shock from water etc.. are there any additional benefits ?

- Akshay

akkidon said:
On a serious note, is it necessary to install one those CF huggers ? Apart from shielding the rear shock from water etc.. are there any additional benefits ?
- Akshay

You don't HAVE to install anything. It's all a matter of personal preference and budget.

My first purchase was a flyscreen -- protects the electronics from water, reduces buffeting and makes highway speeds more comfortable. I got a rack and tail bag to carry odds and ends on commutes and short hops. Next up was a Mistral carbon fiber muffler because I liked the look and sound better than the bigger and heavier stock can. Then I picked up a fenda extenda and hugger because I liked the looks and to make cleanup a little easier. Finally, a set of panniers and a tank bag made touring more practical.

The Griso is a terrific all-round bike right off the showroom floor. Ride it stock for a while and then you can decide how best to accessorize to meet your riding habits.

Looks great and you'll like it even more when youn can finaly go full throttle after the brake in period.
TLM has some great service indeed. Not so good when you try to trade in your old bike though or else that tenni would have been mine :lol: :lol: :lol:

Enjoy your bike.

Welcome to the board and congrats on the purchase Akshay. You are going to have fun. My last bike was a 110cc Suzuki Shogun and I had absolutely no problems coming to terms with the Griso so you should be just fine.

Gaurav

You'll love your new Griso. Biggest surprise to me was that, although the Griso weighs perhaps 40-50 pounds less than my 1200 Sport, it feels like it weighs 150 pounds less. Although the Griso is a long motorcycle, the appearance over the handlebars is that of a much smaller bike. Love 'em both, and they're different as day and night!

Bob

Thanks for the welcome Gaurav. Been riding it for 2 months now (atleast when the weather here in NL allows it) and as you and ohiorider said.. it rides much ligher than it looks. I love it.

The first service is coming up soon and I had a few questions that I thought I might get some help with here.

1: Is it normal to have the gearbox make a big "thunk" sound at every gear change. Maybe I'm wrong but I think the clutch is not disengaging completely. Except the first time I put it into first.. every subsequent change from N to 1 or 1-2-3 makes the bike lunge forward (no extra throttle from me) .

2: This has only happened once or twice but I had downshifted from 3-2 coming up to a traffic light and the engine RPM's stayed at ~ 2-2.5K even though the clutch Iever was completely pulled in. It did that for about 5 seconds even and I could not downshift from 2-1 during this time. I have no idea what happened and I have, fortunately or unfortunately, not been able to recreate the issue.. so I don't even know if I'm describing it right.

Any thoughts?

- Akshay

Gearbox is clunky, especially if you short shift. The down changes should be made matching the engine speed to the road speed. The idle hang-up is usually evidence of poor throttle body set-up, most of them come from the factory with the TB's set wrong.

Pete

akkidon said:
Thanks for the welcome Gaurav. Been riding it for 2 months now (atleast when the weather here in NL allows it) and as you and ohiorider said.. it rides much ligher than it looks. I love it.

The first service is coming up soon and I had a few questions that I thought I might get some help with here.

1: Is it normal to have the gearbox make a big "thunk" sound at every gear change. Maybe I'm wrong but I think the clutch is not disengaging completely. Except the first time I put it into first.. every subsequent change from N to 1 or 1-2-3 makes the bike lunge forward (no extra throttle from me) .

2: This has only happened once or twice but I had downshifted from 3-2 coming up to a traffic light and the engine RPM's stayed at ~ 2-2.5K even though the clutch Iever was completely pulled in. It did that for about 5 seconds even and I could not downshift from 2-1 during this time. I have no idea what happened and I have, fortunately or unfortunately, not been able to recreate the issue.. so I don't even know if I'm describing it right.

Any thoughts?

- Akshay

Hi Pete, thanks for the note.

Made sure on my way back home today to see if I was short shifting. I was not and its not during downshifting when the issue crops up. It's when Im upshifting from N-1-2 at and after a traffic light or similar.

i got home and tried to recreate the issues. Bike in neutral, pulled the clutch lever completely in, revs inch up a bit to about 1300 from 1100 or so, shift into the first gear and there is a 'thunk' and a lunge forward.

Could it be some trapped air in the clutch line ? Thanks for the heads up on the TB setup. I will make sure they check it out when i get the first service done soon.

Cheers,

Akshay

Certainly could be a clutch bleed away. Most of the CARC bikes suffer from a need for constant bleeding.

Hopefully a clutch system bleed will correct the issue. If not, I believe the 8 valve bikes have different length clutch push rods. The dealer should have the tool to determine which length is correct for you bike. If I'm in error, I hope Pete will chime in with the definitive answer.

I have been on the site for a while having had an 00 V11, 03 Lemans, 06 Breva and now I am the proud owner of a 2015 Red Griso. There is a dealer here in the Lower Mainland of Vancouver that is going out of business (Aprilia, BMW, Yamaha, Triumph, Moto Guzzi, MV and Ducati). The only brand still remaining is Ducati.
So there it was on the floor with 400 Kms and the first service already done, I made a very cheeky offer, waited for a couple of counter offers but stuck to the price and I pick it up next week. Riding season here on the Wet Coast has been all year round and now spring is here with a new Guzzi. I try other brands and I will keep my 05 BMW1200RT with 100,000 Kms and counting for the winter, but I keep coming back to Guzzi. This site has been a great source of help and opinions and I look forward to posting a few times with my experiences. I read Pete Ropers pieces every time and continue to have jealousy for someone so skilled.
Cheers,
Brian

Um....can someone explain to me what exactly "short" shifting means? I'm not so hip to the lingo. :-( I read somewhere here or the Griso Getto forum that pulling in the clutch lever for a second or two reduces that "clunk" into first which was also a concern of mine being new to the Griso and I have found that it does the trick.

Short shifting is generally accepted as shifting too early or being in too high of a gear that would cause the engine to 'lug'. That's the quick and dirty definition.

I seem to be drawn to motorcycles that have clunky gearboxes, but I find my griso to be fine, even as good as my FJR. You may need to bleed your clutch, but you may also need to work on your technique. Sharp full movement is key. I find too many people soft foot the shifter and have bad shifts (on all types of motorcycles) Its like soft handing a handgun. Without a firm tight grip some guns (i.e. the Walther PPK) will not cycle the round resulting in stovepiping of the bullets in the gun. I've bought several guns like this knowing that the only problem was the shooter or ammo, not the gun. Same is true with the trans. Try to work on your foot movements. Dont be King Kong, but you dont need to be gentle. FIrm positive full movement.

Last edited:
Back