• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2002 Cal EV 1100 diagnostic port

OLD-WAN

Just got it firing!
WHERE is the diagnostic port plug on the 2002 EV 1100 Cal Special Sport ...and which/what brand diagnostic software should I buy????

Minor annoying putt-putts, cut-outs, coughs and sputts at around 2500 +/- 250 rpm going downhill or slow traffic, usually in 5 gear. No problem at idle or above 3000 rpm or accelerating. New plugs, fuel filter, air cleaner...gets 45-55 mpg depending on speed. Cylinders feel out of sync compared to my Beemer but I'm still getting the feel on the different firing pulses and vibrations. :angry:

I live in the woods 50 miles from town and this cruiser carves the curves much better than my Beemer...each ride to town is a total blast. :evil:

ANY help would be appreciated...this is my FIRST fuel injected bike and it's certainly much different to tune than all the other carb'ed machines I've had over the years.

Thanks
Keep the greasy side down. :cool:

the port is a capped plug pigtailed off the wiring near the CPU under seat.. I use a thing called VDST software buy fromstore tab above...

I'll just say these motors like to rev, as in cruise at 4k or above shift at 5 to 6500 or above..I would not be in 5 gear going 2500 rpm, that might be lugging the motor, it's not a HD.

sync throttle bodies with carb sticks or a Twin max, search for write up at

wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=3438b1bacf46170470b6ec47f066c897&board=1.0

You will probably have to pull the left side cover to access the port. Sometimes it is down low under this cover and not near the seat at all. The store tab above will have information on diagnostic software. Your bike has the 15M ECU. Also go over the VDSTS thread here https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/160/1676

Thanks for the input, all.

This engine does like to buzz, but the speed limit in Oregon is 55 mph and at 3000 rpm in 5th I'm slightly over 60 mph, 3500 is about 75....the State troopers here have very little humor when it comes to two wheels OR speed. There aren't a lot of flat straight stretches around here either and all those have a radar trap at one end or the other, plus deer, cattle, ranchers/farm equipment and just plain lousy drivers also add to the mix. There's been two fatalities within 5 miles of my home in the past 15 years caused by making the wrong decision at the wrong time and having the luck run out at the wrong time. Besides I'm well past "doing the ton"...been there, done that, many times and well beyond...6500 rpm, not for me now, my friend...I want my "Goozy" to last another 50K miles and to see the far side of 80 years and still be riding two wheels. :D :lol:

I have two mercury carb stiks and the old timey air velocity measuring tool with the standpipe and floating ball but I will have to do something about that mess of an air box or at least the extensions from the carb to the air box to make it a bit easier to work on.

Actually these bikes do best with the stock airbox. If you remove it there will be all sorts of problems in getting the bike to run correctly.

there is no law saying you have to be in 5th gear when going 55.. I don't use 5th till 70+ MPH.

hook up your throttle balancer to the nipples on the intake manifold not the airbox.

Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the Cali, still one of my favorites. The diagnostic plug lives under the left side cover (if seated on the bike), around the ECU. It's a 3-prong AMP plug, and should have a cap on it. I offer the Centurion-S Kit here; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/produc ... pathway-11 -- which will handle basic diagnostics, help you set the TPS properly, even adjust the idle (fueling) trim.

Calis can be made to fuel wonderfully, even outside a decent state of tune. It can be made leaps better with fuel revisions via my ECU re-flash; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/produc ... pathway-15 (you have a 15M ECU) or a PCIIIusb; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/produc ... pathway-15

If that's all new to you, see; https://www.guzzitech.com/tech/perform ... cali-power

Happy to answer any questions direct e-mail; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Thanks again, all. I will read and study the examples and the various forums, plus acquire the diagnostic software.

The need for speed is great in some, but around here the fuzz stay fat and sleek on offerings from out-of-staters who are so intent on going somewhere that they can't slow down and enjoy the scenery in this beautiful state.

I watch/get passed by hoards of Harley riders(and all the others ;) ) heading for the holy grail of Harleys each year, or Crater Lake or some other camping spot, then returning to whence they came and think back to when I did the same. 45-65 mph in the engines midrange of rpm/hp, 3-5th gear whichever feels right, is plenty good for me now and I can see all the critters and even dodge many of the bugs...this is a CRUISER, not a racer.

It's not too bad even on the dirt roads leading to the back woods lakes or over a mountain to another valley although horsing around 600 plus lbs on a really bad dirt road pretty much does me in in a very short time... I never know where I will end up on a day's ride. The low end torque of this motor is amazing compared to most other machines other than a stroked Harley.

Now if it was a Norge, or Griso and Hwy 50 in Nevada that would be a different story...but I would also probably be dead in a week.

Enjoy it for it will too soon be gone.

Back