• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cardan (CARC) Recall Info

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Recall info for Breva/Griso CARCs PDF;

Attachments

• 002-2006.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,026
guzzibob said:
Link no longer works, access password protectred. Perhaps someone with access can summarize it?
Added above Bob.

Thanks Todd. Although I do note that this indicates recall for Breva & Griso only, & we know that there were also some early Norges affected-which were replaced under warranty after failure. Not to mention a few Breva/Griso out of the range that also had the bad FEIT bearing, also I believe replaced under warranty post failure. Was there ever an official range for Norge recall that anyone knows the specifics of?

Has anyone had a problem with the rear drive seal leaking gear oil all over the rear brake rotor, wheel and tire?
I have had to replace the rear drive seal in the CARC unit 3 times already, and it is still leaking...at 15300 miles.
Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this? Has anyone had similar problems with the 2006 Breva 1100?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GrisoGuy said:
Has anyone had a problem with the rear drive seal leaking gear oil all over the rear brake rotor, wheel and tire?
I have had to replace the rear drive seal in the CARC unit 3 times already, and it is still leaking...at 15300 miles.
Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this? Has anyone had similar problems with the 2006 Breva 1100?

Yes, but it leaks so little I try to ignore it. It actually got a little better just lately on my 07 Norge. It tends to come and go.

GrisoGuy said:

Either the bearing is toast, or the surface the seal rides on has a burr/imperfection.

GrisoGuy said:
I have had to replace the rear drive seal in the CARC unit 3 times already, and it is still leaking...
Maybe you have the same install mistake being repeated over and over.

Looking at the recall notice, I am a little confused.(comes with age).
The notice says ,for Breva 1100, all numbers before ZGULP...6M113250.
Mine is ZGULP000X5M11272 which probably means that mine may be subject to recall.
They say "The rear transmission boxes concerned are those prior to no. 003171. The cardan number is given under the rubber boot."
I have looked for that number but have not found it.
1: Which is the rubber boot.
2: Do I have to remove the rear wheel to find the number.
3: What is the exact reason for the recall.
I have changed the CARC oil and while it appeared to be somewhat black (as did the gearbox), I assumed that the previous owner/serviceman had added Moly to the mix.

Cheers
Brian :?:

The number is stamped into a boss on the inner (Wheel side.) of the CARC case casting underneath the rubber boot that goes around the reaction arm.

While darkened oil is usually a sign of the bearing going bad it may also be something to do with whoever serviced it puting a moly additive in the oil.

While I am sympathetic with people who may of slipped through the net on this recall issue I have a feeling that the factory is getting to the point where it is getting disinterested in it. Why? Well for a starter DEALERS, not the importer are responsible for ensuring that bikes were registered for warranty/recall activation and I'm afraid to say that back in the day, and maybe still, some dealers were less than willing to take the bother of filling in a simple on-line form. Without that information being fed back to the importer it was impossible to send out recall notices to all owners.

The fact is that these bikes are now all at least six years old! The problem, if it is going to manifest itself, will usually do so within the first 10,000km. Usually much earlier. Now if you read the service schedule you will find that it is stated that the vehicle should be serviced at certain mileage intervals OR on a time/yearly basis. How many of these machines have a FSH on TIME rather than mileage? My bet is very, very few.

Yes, there was an issue. The thing is that its now SIX BLOODY YEARS since these bikes were built. If you buy an old, un ridden, neglected munter I tend to think its a bit ' Over The Top' to start screaming injustice at the factory and the importer when it may well simply of been owner and dealer neglect that has led to the situation that has occurred vis-a-vis failure.

I know for a fact that the warranty guy at Samples tries his very hardest to get info and approval from the factory but these bikes are now so old they have been taken off the main database so we have to wait for the factory, (Which is currently only working three days a week due to lack of demand in Europe!) to find the wherewithal to get back to us.

Yes, it may be sucky, but guys and girls, these bikes are almost invariably second hand now. I can see your wishing to get them fixed but..... Well, you know, just but......

As it is if you are worried that your CARC might have a problem? Just get it fixed! If you wait until it fails you will risk doing a lot more damage than if you pre-emptively simply replace the bad bearing. I can't speak for anyone else but if I get a bung CARC shipped to me a big bearing costs sub $250 and there is about two and a half hours labour in replacing the bearing so that's another $250. Then there's GST in Oz at 10% and shipping. I did one for a bloke here a while back, perhaps he'll chime in. I can't remember what I charged but I'd guess about $650 all up. That's a damn sight cheaper than a new CARC if it shits the crownwheel and pinion.

Take a deep breath and be sensible. These aren't bikes that rolled off the production line yesterday.

Pete

Pete, I was told by Baldrick only last year that the factory had been on to him to locate two Cali Hydraulic bikes (which Corsa had sold) because they had not had the recall done. Certainly in Europe, safety recalls are not time constricted.

I purchased my 2006 Breva last year second hand. My frame number _...13044) which is prior to ...13250 which implies that my bike is subject to the recall however my rear cardan unit number is 64237704582 which is later/after the notice cardan units prior to 003171.

I'm wondering if the prior owner had the recall done as the cardan unit number is later than the notice or if my bike is not subject as the critical issue is the cardan unit number, not the frame number.

I have written Piaggio NA to find out.

Any opinions?

Thank you.

You're on the right track. A dealer can also look up whether the recall work has been completed for you as well.

My bike VIN was not included in the recall, but I neglected to check the carc unit number. Had to replace the carc under an extended warranty, but was not able to verify the if the carc unit was included in the recall or if the bearing was the deficient brand since the dealer that did the work claimed the unit was "lost".

Thanks for the info. I'll also contact my local dealer.

My bike has about 5.5K, runs great and no leak from the cardan.

I agree with Roper. If there is a leak or looseness, get it fixed now. Warranty if you can but otherwise do it yourself.
I did quite a few when the recall was new, before the norge was released.
Get a bearing from the BMW 1150 Paralever models, they are modified now and dont fall apart like they used to.
Get a seal from Guzzi and a bit of decent sealant and off you go.
Cheers

Milton

Back