• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

MIGHT be dangerous...new recall for >2011 CA.R.C. bikes

Carsten

Just got it firing!
Hi to all,

in Germany, a lot of owners of a >2011 Stelvio, Griso, 1200 Sport, Bellagio,... received a Registered Letter last saturday from Moto Guzzi saying that they should immediately contact their dealer because of an issue with the rear shock conrod. The owners should not drive faster than 50kmph because of the possibility of failure.

If you changed the conrod since 2011 because of rusted bearings imho your Guzzi could be subject, too. It seems that they changed the supplier in 2011 and there was a problem with the quality.

Not a word about it in the Italian Forum or here since today?

I thought you should know it also...

Bye from Munich

Carsten
Stelvio 1200 NTX

canuck1969 said:
Curious.....no one has commented on this. Is it a non-issue.............

I would say it is a serious issue and everyone is waiting for their recall notice. I think it should be classified a Safety Recall and the bikes involved should not be ridden at all.

Considering the part I'm surprised the Norge isn't included. I guess none of the suspect parts made it into a Norge.

I'm hoping someone with assess to the VIN list on servicemotoguzzi.com can copy the list of impacted bikes and post them here. Considering the serious nature of the recall, those bikes should not be ridden in my opinion.

That's a pretty key component, and I suspect no one has commented because no one has had one break yet (thankfully!). I'll be watching for updates from those who have it done.

I was interested in the content on the top of page 2 of the bulletin, regarding "Stelvio stand and electrical system update." I got a call from Pro Italia's service writer on Saturday afternoon regarding the new center stand I'd installed about 10 days ago and found that it won't extend all the way. He said that, while I'd made an appointment for 7/30 to have a fix done, this would be a warranty repair (bike's out of standard warranty) and that I'd get credit/money back for the stand I'd just bought. Just have to wait for the parts to arrive from Italy :roll:

That's a pretty key component, and I suspect no one has commented because no one has had one break yet (thankfully!).

Somebody must have had it break somewhere...apparently not in the US and I heard nothing in Germany or Italy about an issue besides rotten bearings due to the Italian way of greasing. I don´t think there is a long-time Quality Management at Guzzi in my experience...

As I´ve seen that in the U.S. our European models 2010 are 2011, 2011 are 2012, 2012 are 2013 and so on, the letter to the U.S. owners might come in spring 2014... :evil:

Can´t remember any issue (e.g. leaking spokes, cracking rims, fork shoes etc.) where Guzzi limited the speed. In my opinion they don´t want to pay for the Road Assistance trailer we could call without being charged because of the mobility warranty in Europe...nobody will really drive the bike except to the dealer´s as long as the fastest roadkill to hunt are snails...

Golly, about 5K miles ago I pulled the linkage apart on my NTX just so I could slap some grease on all the bearings. At that time I did not see any kind of problem. Maybe Piaggio is just being super cautious since this is such a critical part. Good for them!

Peter Y.

Just heard from my dealer who ran my Stelvio's VIN and it does not appear to be subject to this bulletin. He's inquiring with the factory to double-check but seems like it's not an issue on this 2013 NTX.

makarushka said:
Just heard from my dealer who ran my Stelvio's VIN and it does not appear to be subject to this bulletin. He's inquiring with the factory to double-check but seems like it's not an issue on this 2013 NTX.

Exact same story here on my 2012 NTX......so far, so good........

It would be a great relief and public service if someone would post the affected VIN numbers. (Hint, Hint!!)

This is a worrisome recall, but I'm not about to ride my '12 Griso any slower unless I have confirmation there is cause for concern.

What's truly worrying is if indeed the part was used as a replacement; I'm presuming there's (next to) no traceability in that case and owners could have a nasty surprise...

pete roper said:
Contact your dealer. The VIN #'s are available on the portal. I can only access those in Oz.

Pete

PS here is the government recall notice for Oz

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/item. ... cycles.pdf

The government doc seems to only cover the 2011 Stelvio. We may be spared in North America as we did not see the first model until 2012. Keeping fingers crossed....

I contacted my dealer regarding this issue, they have only just heard of it. I gave them my bike details, it is not shown for recall on the suspension issue, but requires attention for centre stand and something to do with wiring. The bike was registered October 1st 2011. Hopefully I'm clear as I don't fancy laying my bike up for a few weeks while waiting for parts to arrive.

Just reading with interest about the latest recall.

I have a 2011 NTX, I've just had the ignition wiring replaced (forum subject, tail lights not working) also they replaced the centre stand.

That work was carried in early July, I got my bike back 9th July, 18th July the headlights stopped working, day before my holidays, not home yet so not to sure what might be the problem.

Saying that, I did have a similar issue last year, the left side handle bar switch seamed to be the problem, a good dose of WD it seamed to quire it, but I have read there are issues with the left handlebar switch.

Is 2011 a bad year!!!

Marshy.

Just had a letter from Piaggio stating that my new Griso comes under this recall. At least I know that my bike is registered with Piaggio for recalls :D Only got the bike back from its first service yesterday, ah well back it goes, rather that than the rear shock coming adrift.

All the best
Pete

My 2012 Sport is affected, according to Moto Strada, so it's not just the 2011 model year. Going to have to get that fixed asap, I'm pulling this face :eek: every time I hit a bump!

Back