• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stelvio ECU error 27 and 31

Flay

Tuned and Synch'ed
After three days and a lovely 1800 kilometers of twisty mountain roads, my Stelvio decided to take a bit of a break on the side of the highway. We're home now (on a flatbed) but I've got a service icon and the following error codes:

ECU Error Code 27 Injector 1 C.C. Gnd
ECU Error Code 31 Injector 2 C.C. Gnd

Which stick around after a reset. Grrrr. The bike turns over but does not start. Todd's ECU 'fix' and a Mistral exhaust are the only modifications. Just gassed up 20k before. Plugs say I'm running a bit rich.

Some have said to pull the tank and check the filter/clamp/hoses but I thought I'd check here first before yanking it all apart. That I could do. If it involves cleaning injectors or diagnostics, I'll have to haul it to a shop (I only have the small block VDST here).

I think you may find that fuse "C", 20Amp is blown. This supplies battery to the injectors, the igno\ition coils and the fuel pump.
Why it is blown is another question.
I will have to review the error codes as 27 & 31 say ECU Error Code 27 Injector 1 C.C. Gnd
ECU Error Code 31 Injector 2 C.C. Gnd when it is not Gnd but 12V from the battery.

Hope this helps
Brian :)

Flay said:
Thanks folks, will do both. We had been running through showers for a couple of hours too, if that makes a difference.
Yes it sure does. Do you have the covering over the ECU that is standard on all new Stelvio?

Do keep us posted on what you find.

Check my recent post about my 2007 Breva running rough, rich and posting ECU code 31 (which is still not officially defined). I found wire bundle under the airbox shorting a light blue/pink wire to the left cylinder head, onward the read. I taped up the wounded wire, tied the wire bundle safely away and all is well.

I don't remember the code, but my '13 Stelvio took a little break about 200 miles from home, It quit dead, after letting it cool a bit it would "almost idle" but nothing more. Todd Haven said he had found a bad crank angle sensor in his shop, that was what my problem was. This p/n has been around a bit, hope there isn't a batch of funky crank angle sensors a floating in the parts pool!!

Jay

So I am blowing the injector fuses.

Every ten kilometers or so. Pop a new one in, run fine for another 10k or so.

Got home from my latest outing by running through all the 15 amp fuses I had. Finally had to use a buddy's 25 amp fuse.

And finally blew that too.

Any suggestions on where to start looking? It'll be a week or so before I have time to run the bike 100 kilometers to my dealer (probably by truck, though I could get all crazy on a jumbo pack of fuses :). Will check grounds tonight...

So I am blowing the injector fuses.

Every ten kilometers or so. Pop a new one in, run fine for another 10k or so.

Got home from my latest outing by running through all the 15 amp fuses I had. Finally had to use a buddy's 25 amp fuse.

And finally blew that too.

Any suggestions on where to start looking? It'll be a week or so before I have time to run the bike 100 kilometers to my dealer (probably by truck, though I could get all crazy on a jumbo pack of fuses :). Will check grounds tonight...
Flay,
I blew the same fuse today on my 2010 Stelvio. Did you ever find out what caused your issue with the injector fuses?

SEARCH. SEARCH. SEARCH.

Use the SEARCH function. ALWAYS. It’s your friend and the fastest way to find information. It is IMPOSSIBLE for any of us to remember everything around here. SEARCH.

—————-

“I found that the plastic connection to the actual metal tubing of injector pulled away on one side. I pulled injector off of intake and held it together while hitting the start button. Fine mist and simple diagnosis. Sometimes the solutions are as direct as they come. This is one of those cases. Found new injector on line for $310.00.

I haven't rode this bike in almost 2 months. Looks like I'm gonna wait some more.

TY sir for suggestion/tips.”

Believe me, it is often times simply a matter of unseating and reseating connectors and these errors can appear and disappear. Some electrical contact cleaner does miracles sometimes. Ground signal is also controlled electronically through the ECU and reseating the cables just might have done the trick?

I’ve also see all manner of hell from dielectric grease being used by do-do mechanics who do not know that dielectric grease is an insulator from conductivity. Not that this is your problem here but there are all kinds of reasons really.

I’m thrilled that the short is gone!

Reconnect the ECU and steeper and immediately try and reset the error with the dash diagnostics!

If that works then as my friend, Kiwi says, “Then Bob’s Your Uncle!””

—————

There are several posts where this error was caused by an unseated, or on a broken (pulled apart) injector. It is a common occurrence.

I would begin there first. The ground signal is provided by the ECU, not externally.

The cause is most likely by a disturbed connection issue.

Last edited:
Yes, I always do search first bit I did not know what to search for not knowing about the injector connector. I did search for anything and everything on the fuse. I'll carefully pull the connectors and check them.

Thanks!

I know this is an old thread and I have read thru all the related threads and I don't seem to find another rider who had something that could be helpful to me. After replacing all the relays and one clearly corroded relay socket, I was able to get rid of the "ECU Disconnected" error but then I got the ECU errors 25, 27 and 31. Rechecked all the connections and every other socket/connection I could find around the engine compartment. Removed the injectors, cleaned them up as well as the connectors and reconnected everything, reset all the errors and still getting #27 and #31!
I checked and even replaced all the fuses but none was blown to begin with. I checked the battery cables at both ends, oddly enough they were not corroded at all but cleaned both end of both cables. The other wire harness seem clean and undamaged. Since all fuses were OK and their sockets were cleaned as well, not sure what the heck else to check...

Could the coils be shorted and causing these errors? Can anyone have anything else for me to check?

TIA

Back