• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Clutch Chatter

Stella

Tuned and Synch'ed
I know this has been brought up before but I find this unacceptable on a new bike.
My 2012 Stelvio's clutch chatters horribly on engagement when cold and anything but full hot,it wasn't too bad when the bike was brand new but got worse from 2000 -10,000 km's, one dealer told me it is caused by clutch dust and to vacuum it out by the inspection hole on the RH side, I did this many times with no improvement , running and off, engaged and released !
I am told that this problem is unique to the Stelvio.
I also found out from a dealer that in Jan of this year, the clutch assy part # for the Stelvio was superseded to a totally new part # leading me to believe there is a clutch upgrade, my Stelvio is still under warranty and I feel that this should be covered.
Has anyone else addressed or solved this problem ? I love the bike but can't stand this awful cold clutch chatter, very embarrassing in front of others as well !!
My Stelvio now has 11,000km's (6800 Mi) and the problem persists.
Taking off on an incline makes it worse and is very difficult , terrible clutch feel.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you

Stella,

My 2013 Stelvio has the same problem when cold. If not paying attention, the clutch will chatter so much that the bike will stall. I have only 900 miles on the bike and hate to have the clutch torn into so soon. Anyway, I've been able to minimize the chatter by activating the clutch multiple times after starting the bike, but before engaging first gear and taking off. Maybe 15 to 20 times while in neutral. My dealer has talked with their Guzzi rep who suggested seeing if it will go away after I put some miles on it. After seeing your post, I don't have much confidence in that happening.

Mark

mine does the same thing - this morning before taking off I let the bike warm up a good minute or so. Then with the transmission in neutral I let the clutch, watched the rpm drop slightly and rise up 50 rpm, Then I pumped the clutch lever four or five times, Then dropped into gear and released the clutch no chatter and again no chatter pulling from a stop a half mile out onto the highway. It was good while running around town until I noticed it began again when I didn't pull the clutch lever all the way in and again once I went into to second. There after I pulled the clutch lever in all the way to the bar and no chatter. I feel it may have something to do with the clutch fluid reservoir.
I noticed the chatter was not there once the bike was tuned or running smooth and I thought it maybe me and the amount of throttle I was applying or not dumping the clutch fast enough. Switching from a Kawi cruiser to the Guz has a complete different clutch operation.
I hane only seen one recall and that was by Transport Canada stating that 4 models including Stelvio's of Moto Guzzi had a defective rear suspension right from the factory. This was a post on the Adventure Rider form. So I copied it and sent it to my dealer asking if they had anything to add. Their responce was that yes it was true but the Stelvio was not effected ??? why would Transport Canada list it and then add they would wait for the US to complete their findings before following up nation wide with dealer as there only 120 some odd bikes involve - well from what they claim that could be 120 some deaths or injurry's.
But yeah no word on a clutch issue from Guzzi.

A comprehensive recall camping has been undertaken world-wide for the rear shock linkage issue.

The relevant service bulletin does not seem to be current in North America which includes Canade so, given the immediacy of the recall notice elsewhere and the stringent conditions stipulated by the factory for usage before replacement one can only assume that no bikes in North America are affected.

Pompous, huffing outrage about a non existent problem would seem to me to be a fine example of self-indulgent onanism but there again I recognise I'm a deeply flawed character in this day and age.

If you're worried? Sell the bike and buy something nice and 'Safe'. Nobody is forcing you to ride this death-trap.

Pete

no worries from this end - checked mine over and all seem OK - but may end up making a new one up that will be a little more sturdy. Too far to go for a dealer to do any recalls at this point in time.
Wouldn't mind having this clutch chatter thing solved - maybe some of you more seasoned Guzzi guys can brain storm it.

I had posted my clutch issue a while ago. there is a new plate. my old one had lost two of the springs off of it before it failed on the way home from work one day. no problems with the new plate.

carl

Thanks Carl, that's what I suspected, I will replace mine this winter.
Was yours covered under warranty ?

yes mine was replaced under warranty, I had only 5k miles on the bike when it happened. the dealer here in Austin has been great. in addition to the clutch plate they've had to replace the fuel tank that they noticed was cracking on the underside while I was getting the 6k service. they have also replaced the left mirror twice and aren't long from the second for the right. also several times with the running lights.

carl

I think you stated in an earlier post that the cold clutch chatter no longer exists now that you have the updated clutch disc ??
I'm really hoping to get rid of that, it drives me nuts !!

I don't understand why the Norge's don't seem to have the same clutch judder problem as it appears that they have the same clutch assembly. If it were associated with the suspension, it would seem that it would howl when warmed up as well. After reviewing a few other forums on clutch judder problems, I was wondering if there might be either an assembly lube or other contaminant from the assembly process in the clutch "housing" area that mists when hot, but then settles back onto the plates once cooled down (though I don't know how that could happen with the clutch plates engaged?). Anyway, I've recently pulled the rubber plug after shutting down the engine and blown clean air through the housing to hopefully remove any suspected contaminated air. I know this is a shot in the dark, but I hate to have the motor and tranny pulled from a brand new bike!! Oh... I'm also trying to make certain that I don't ever let it get into that howling mode which seems to only make it happen ever more frequently. I'll keep you "posted".

Mark

Mine has been doing it since new, 2012 NTX with 8K on it now. I have it in the shop now and there is an oil leak seeping onto the clutch...or so they say. I am waiting for a new Clutch assembly. I hope this solves the groan when cold and the wimpy feel to the clutch. Good Luck everyone...

My guess would be because of a difference in clutch friction materials... they are outsourced. If there is an oil leak, it will not howl. Mine currently has a rear "cam" cover leak (another guess at the moment), which I'm pulling the motor out soon, and the clutch howl is non-existent.
Run it until you have to pull it for reasons such as a leak or service limit/slipping.

Re: Clutch Chatter- Solved

In discussions with a very reputable dealer my clutch groan is now gone. Looks like the groan....brrrrrrrrr....chatter....what ever you want to call it is caused by some sticky glazing on the plate. May be at the time of manufacture of the plate or perhaps not cleaned at the factory when install. None the less the cure is to burn off the sticky glaze.

When the bike is cold this "stickiness" is what your hear. Once it is heated up it goes away....kind of melting I guess. Goes cold....comes back. The key is to burn it off one and for all.

Ride the bike to heat everything up. Once it is good and hot, put the bike in second and slip the clutch and rev the crap out of it. I did mine for a about 3 to 4 seconds with revs up to 6000 RPM. Rode for 2 minutes then repeated for 3 to 4 seconds. Obviously there is a fine line between burning the stuff off and burning the clutch so don't go crazy.

Result....got up the next morning with cool temperatures. Got on the bike and no more groaning....problem solved.

Canuck, sounds like an easy thing to try. I have noticed that slipping it more seems to keep it from doing it as often or as loudly/violently, but I've not purposely slipped it as aggressively as you describe. I'm gonna give it a "whirl" and see how it turns out.

Re: Clutch Chatter- Solved

canuck1969 said:
Ride the bike to heat everything up. Once it is good and hot, put the bike in second and slip the clutch and rev the crap out of it. I did mine for a about 3 to 4 seconds with revs up to 6000 RPM. Rode for 2 minutes then repeated for 3 to 4 seconds. Obviously there is a fine line between burning the stuff off and burning the clutch so don't go crazy.

Result....got up the next morning with cool temperatures. Got on the bike and no more groaning....problem solved.
Have to ask as I don't fully understand what you mean...
Do you mean: put the bike on the centerstand, put it in second gir and slip the clutch and rev. the motor to 6000 RPM in 3-4 seconds?

Ride the bike and while in 2nd gear slip the clutch (partial clutch engagement) and rev the engine as i described. You want to heat up the clutch so it burns off what ever is on it.

Back