• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Considering a Griso

Remcycle

Just got it firing!
Howdy, y'all.

I'm looking to get another bike after having to sell mine about a year ago due to finances. I'm considering a Griso 8v as my next(for a long time) bike. I want something fun, comfortable(for a large rider: 6'2", 280lbs), and unique. I don't follow trends much...I just like to be different.

So anyway. I mainly would be using it to commute to work (~50mi/day) and for running through the twisties here in the forest. I'd also like to be able to do a little touring...maybe a 1 or 2 day camping trip or road trip here and there. I read on here that someone had installed cruise control on theirs...that would be of immense help in touring.

I guess my questions for the knowledge tank here are:

1. Does anyone else tour on the Griso? What kind of farkles are availalbe? Looking mainly at luggage, GPS/accessory power/mounts, windscreen, cruise control, aftermarket lighting(if needed?)

2. What kind of longevity can I expect with this 8v motor? I read that the old pushrod motor was indestructible, but there are a couple of problems with the new one. Anything to steer clear of? Anything to be mindful of when looking at bikes?

3. How do you larger riders fare on the griso? I'm sure I can adjust the suspension for my weight(which is in process of going away...slow process...but a process none the same.) but I"m more so concerned about leg room. My last bike(TL1000S) had my knees aching after the commute to/from work. Are there griso specific footpeg drops?

The other bike I'm considering is a suzuki vstrom. Just about the dorkiest bike in production....but it is incredibly practical...so I'm looking at function(and still fun with the vstrom) and loads of fun and great looks with the griso...

Any thoughts? I like message boards like this because folks can express their opinions and I can take them or leave them. So fire away!

Thanks from Texas!

-Remcycle

Lots of questions, a few answers:
I have done some touring (about 2,400 km last week). I have an 1100, so most things will be the same or similar. I'm also 6'2".

I have the large tank bag and panniers (OEM). I have the tail rack installed, and carry a tent on the rear seat and sleeping bag on the rack. I have a Powerlet outlet/RAM mount combo on the handlebar, so I can use it to also charge a phone as well as my GPS. I have the Griso mid-size screen which really just protects the instruments. I have a cruise control (aftermarket$10 unit, which works fine). I've added LED lights (ADVmonster) more for visibility since I avoid night riding but they do throw a lot of light. I've also added a Powerlet coax connector for a heated jacket liner.

I had my seat modified, so it now resembles more of a bench seat, to raise the seating position. I found the stock seat too low, so my hips would complain after a while. I also raised the handlebars a bit to match the seat raise, and it's now fine for long distances. There are also footpeg lowering kits available.

Eric

I am about your size ( ok, 2 inches shorter and a little heavier), and I've had my 8v for a month now. Previous bike was a Kawasaki Versys, optimized for a commute about the distance you describe. At this early stage I can say that the Versys was better for that mission... In terms of comfort, wind protection, luggage capacity, legroom, gas mileage.

However, as pleased as I was with my Verysy, it never "spoke" to me like this Griso. This bike is therapeutic!

Anyway... yes, there are lowering pegs available and you can spec a custom seat if you need even more leg room. The stock suspension is pretty stiff, and I haven't measured sag yet, and may need heavier springs, but those are available too. As a big guy, You can fit on the G, but the VStrom and the Versys might make better utilitarian choices. They will never have the soul of a Guzzi, though.

Yes, a number of us use the Griso for long tours. But it's not really a sport tourer in the modern sense (thank goodness).

Many of your questions have answers to be found here and on wildguzzi.com. So some use of the search functions will yield more answers than your posting here is likely to get you.

I use two windscreens (the OEM small screen and a National Street Shield E something or other, which I place over the small one on high speed or windy days). I also have the OEM panniers and small tank bag, and a medium Moto Fizz seat bag (excellent) from riderwarehouse.com. Also a sheepskin seat cover from alaskaleather.com.

I am not as large as you, so can't directly address those concerns. There are handlebar alternatives, handlebar risers, and footpeg lowerers available.

I did install an automotive electronic cruise control, which transformed my Griso on long, boring highway legs. It is much better than a simple throttle lock, which I used to employ. wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=63286.0

Welcome to the club, if you get one!

Moto

I love my 12 Griso but for any ride of distance I take my Bandit 1250 with factory hard bags. Im 6'2" and its a bit cramped for long rides and while the flyscreen really helps at freeway speeds the relativily small gas tank and mid 30's mileage make me want more range when out in the middle of nowhere...If I had to do it again I would buy the Stelvio.. The motor is awsome and the better ergos and range would make it the perfect bike for my uses..

Mid 30's gas mileage seems low compared to most reports. My 1100 recently averaged 46 mph at about 65 mph (partly against a headwind) over two full tanks, carefully measured, and using the cruise control. The mileage has improved over time, I think, so now at about 16,000 miles it's not much different from my 850 T3's. I can figure on gas stops at 175 miles from a fill up.

The efficiency of the 1200 Griso may be a little less than the 1100, but still in the low 40 mpg range on the highway, according to most of the reports as I recall.

Hi Remcycle,

A hi from Europe.
About he Griso and riding it.
I'm not large in any sence, 5.7. So I don't know how it is for taller people.
But... (I don't know if you're married...)
It's about life, love, feeling and emotion. :*
The Griso has to catch you, take a part of your life. It has to be more than just a motorbike... :whistle:
Here you can read of my writing about the Griso:
https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/167/11444
https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/167/7148?start=40

Maybe not the answers on your questions, but this is how I live my Guzzi life. B)

Aaah, one thing more... Long distance... Sometimes I take my G12 for a longer distance on the road.
In Sept 2011 I went along with some friends of the Dutch Guzzi club, to the 90th birthday celebration of Guzzi in Mandello del Lario, Italy.
This was the nicest experience I've had in my life till now. :p
A 1600 mls ride on local roads and a party with 25.000 Guzzi riders!! :eek:
In a two weeks I'm going agian with those friends of the Dutch Guzziclub (MGCN)
A few friends organised a trip, "the MGCN Moto Giro d'Italia".
A 2200 mls trip towards the middle of Italy and back, all on local roads. :mrgreen:
A 11 days trip (10 drive, 1 rest) in tiny groups, 40 bikes in total. We allready have all the fun...
mmmm, I can't wait...

Good luck with making the right choice.
Ad B

moto said:
Mid 30's gas mileage seems low compared to most reports. My 1100 recently averaged 46 mph at about 65 mph (partly against a headwind) over two full tanks, carefully measured, and using the cruise control. The mileage has improved over time, I think, so now at about 16,000 miles it's not much different from my 850 T3's. I can figure on gas stops at 175 miles from a fill up.

The efficiency of the 1200 Griso may be a little less than the 1100, but still in the low 40 mpg range on the highway, according to most of the reports as I recall.

The best mileage ive seen is 39 and that was freeway droning.. Ridden at a more agressive pace mid 30's is about all it gets.. The 1100's and 1200's are quite a bit different so I see where you could get much better mileage but the 8V motors are thirsty ridden in a manner they were designed for and according to MCN's latest issue the new 1400's are even worse getting a average of 30.0 and a low of 25.7..There is really no excuse for such dismal mileage but thats just the nature of the beast. I just wish it had a larger tank for more range.

pete roper said:
My Griso 1200 usually gets 10Km/l unless I'm really beating on it.

Pete

Say again? 10 kilometers per liter works out to only 23.5 U.S. mpg!

Moto

My '12 Griso 8V SE got mid-30s mpg until it was well broken in. Now at 10k without babying it I get high 30s in town and low 40s on the highway.

That's about what I was getting on my TL1000S. That was a cool bike. Pretty rare and unique. Fun bike to ride. But, alas...it had to go.

Glad to know the griso doesn't drink gas too bad. It's the top contender right now for the next bike. But I'm curious to see what the 2014 Vstrom 1000 debuts at and how it does for a little bit before I pull the trigger. Besides, it's best to buy when it's cold...especially in Texas. Cold weather season doesn't last long here!

Hi there. I have a 2009 8v. I am the same height as you and 230lbs. I paid £40 to get my suspension professionaly set up. I would highly recommend.

I have a 955i Sprint as well. I take the Griso every time, unless it is wet. I have just come back from a week in France travelling from the UK. I have the OE panniers and rear rack. I strap a water proof roll bag from Overboard accross the back. I also have the small OE tank bag. For Touring I used the large OE screen, lowered the pegs, and used an Airhawk seat pad.

I was perfectly comfortable, and I have bad knees from years of rugby!. The only disadvantage compared to my companions on RT's was the wind protection on the motorway. Wherever we stopped the Griso gets the most attention.

For commuting, if you are in a lot of stop start traffic some find it all a bit heavy. I do ride to work on mine, when I can, but I have a clear 30 minute ride which is great.

Take range is limited, however I was getting 110 - 120 miles until the fuel light came on. Just fill up at each opportunity.

First. for the OP.
Get the Griso!!

Second. about the mileage.
I am getting 32-33 mpg when I am forced into the Purgatory of city traffic near Los Angeles.
But when I am at home in the desert in Apple Valley/Victorville I get 39-40 mpg.
I have a lot of long roads with few stops that have 50mph/60mph speed limits.

When I ride up in the mountains around Lake Arrowhead or Wrightwood I get up to 43.5 mpg.
Oh the tribulations I must suffer. :)

DM

I must be lucky...
I get about 35mph in town and in the high 40 in the Country side.
My best was 53mpg in the Blue Ridge Parkway from the Skyline drive to Roanoke...
I did everything in 6th gear though, just throttle control, I think I downshifted to 5th only 3 times, lol.
Having said that, gas mileage isn't a real concern to me with motorcycles so if my Griso was doing poorly at it I wouldn't care...

If you're considering a vstrom take a look at the stelvioNTX. Big tank , way more room for legs and some good hard luggage options. Not as as good looking as the griso but neither is that vstrom.

I've got a Griso Black Devil and I never really worry about mileage. I've got just over 11,000km on it. I also have:-
Airhawk seat
MRA flyscreen
Barkbusters
H&B panniers and top box
Mistral carbon fibre slip on
Shu Roo kangaroo scarer offerer (it works)

my 1100 usually tells me 39.2 mpg up to 42.5 mpg.
This last weekend I was riding around the heavy suburban sprawl near Los Angeles and the instrument told me 26.4 mpg.
I rode 110 miles and gassed up and put in 3 gallons.

my mpg indicator may be a bit off?? :)

DM

Back