• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

My 1200 Sport's first 'no-start' in 3 yrs/42000 miles

ohiorider

Cruisin' Guzzisti
For the first time since I’ve owned the 2008 1200 Sport, she didn’t want to start.

A few days ago, the red triangle came on (I think with the engine running just after starting.) I shut the engine down, restarted, and NO red triangle. Out of curiosity, I pulled up the on-board diagnostics and found:

ECU: 0 errors
DSH: All zeros except:
DSB02 A=0, M=X (Immobilizer Fault – Key Code not read.)
DSB07 A=0, M=X (Oil Sensor Fault – probably a result of not completely filling filter at last oil change and having momentary low oil pressure – I’ve seen that before)

I dismissed it as a one time glitch, thought I had cleared the codes, but not certain if I was successful in clearing X02 and X07 DSH errors under Memory. I've ridden 300-400 miles since that occurance.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today – took the 1200 out for a run this afternoon, no problems over the entire 40-50 mile ride. Parked in driveway, left bike sitting for an hour, and decided to take it to the wine shop for a chilled bottle of white. Turned on the key, and got not only the red triangle on steady, but also the triangle and the message “S E R V I C E” on the LCD panel.

The starter wouldn’t turn over, either by quickly depressing and releasing the button (normal start) or by holding the starter button in place for over 10 seconds. I left the ignition turned on for a few minutes, still displaying the SERVICE message, and hit the starter again, and the bike started. Turned ignition off and stopped engine, turned the ignition on again, and the SERVICE message and red triangle were not displayed. I tried turning the ignition off and on a couple more times with similar results.

Using the MODE position, I used the dashboard to look at battery voltage with the engine off (12.3). With engine idling the reading alternated between 13.0 and 13.1. I realize this reading is typically lower than testing at the battery posts, so I tested with engine off using multimeter, which displayed 12.48 to 12.50v. This was after 3-4 engine starts. I did not test using the multimeter with the engine running.

I also used the multimeter probes on the battery terminals, then on the tops of the battery connectors to see if there was any difference. Perhaps .01 .02 vdc difference.

I am still running on the original Yuasa battery, which ‘seems’ to act ok. I wanted to perform a test where I’d leave the high beam on for 3 minutes with the engine off, then check, but I couldn’t keep the light on, even trying to fake it by killing the engine with the kill button instead of the ignition key.

This didn’t act like the problem addressed by the “Haven Fix”; however, it’s about time to install it, since I’ve had it now for at least 2 years. I travel with it, just in case.

Your thoughts …… something simple, like a bad connection, or perhaps an antenna that’s beginning to act up.

BTW – I have entered the 36421 Diagnostic Assess Code into my bike as my User Code so I could bypass a failed antenna, but I’m not sure where to plug this number in if/when this would occur. Need to read up on it ……..

Bob

NOTE – I do have a working copy of VDSTS. Any suggestions on what to look for using it, in addition to what I pulled up on the bike’s dashboard?

I have had quite a few electronic issues over the times with my Ducati and recently my Moto Guzzi bellagio. With the guzzi the bike stopped, it would not start, ecu display kept coming up and it was clicking.
In the end I took the battery leads off, cleaned the terminals and away it went.
Have you checked and disconnected all leads, charging leads, battery leads etc

With the Ducati recently the back up battery to the alarm failed. The connection had a broken connector to the 9v battery.
Listening to your diagnosis, if there is no sound at all then there must be acut in power a break. some component is preventing any power in.

vinnychoff

Ohiorider,

If you entered the maintenance code as the user code, then that will start the bike when It asks for the code (It doesn't recognize the key) . A code in M column indicates it is an in memory code and not currently an active code. Codes in memory should not prevent a start. Be sure to check and clean the ground point behind the starter cover as well as the battery terminals.

Hopefully, cleaning battery posts and ground behind starter cover cured the problem. I'm thinking perhaps a new battery might provide additional insurance, although this one always shows at least 12.3 or 12.4 on the dashboard readout (typically a few tenths lower than actual)

IF the bike was to experience this SERVICE message/No start thing again, and I'm not fortunate enough to be in my driveway, would it make sense to disconnect the battery for a few minutes, and perhaps cause the dashboard and ecu to 'reset'? Just a thought. Sort of like CTRL/ALT/DEL when all else fails.

ohiorider said:
IF the bike was to experience this SERVICE message/No start thing again, and I'm not fortunate enough to be in my driveway, would it make sense to disconnect the battery for a few minutes, and perhaps cause the dashboard and ecu to 'reset'? Just a thought. Sort of like CTRL/ALT/DEL when all else fails.

Doubt that would help unless the problem was a connection. If the condition is present that caused the no start, it will still be a no go.

We have been here before...
1st check the oil pressure switch - yours will be past its use by date now;
2nd check your electrical connections, as suggested
3rd if all else fails, try replacing your battery - yours is 5 years old now. I replaced mine 3 weeks ago after 6 years. It just failed one afternoon.

I ended up using a lithium battery. Pricey but worth it, if it lasts the 8-10 years as planned

Let us know if we can continue to be of help

I recently bought a Motobatt for my 12S. It's an AGM battery and it's got four terminals, which in my case, with the PCV and all makes connections much easier than with any other battery I've had.

All things to check are well covered above. Replace the battery and clean the connections on both ends of the cables and all will be well again (before it strands you when you least expect it). I keep the 12 & 16-cell Lith-I batteries in stock, purchase info here; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/produc ... pathway-11

Oz1200Guzzi said:
We have been here before...
1st check the oil pressure switch - yours will be past its use by date now

I'm with you on this one Tony. The SERVICE code usually appears when the oil pressure sensor has not closed completely. Sometimes, even after an hour, there hasn't been enough time for the contacts to close if the sensor is faulty. This would be my first port of call.

Back