• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

There and Back Again - a Griso Owner's Tale

NorthBayGriso

Tuned and Synch'ed
With all props due to Prof Tolkien... :cool:

Bear with me - I'm horrible at this kind of thing, so I'll boil it down to the essentials:

1. Found "the" bike here, in the Classifieds, listed by forum bubba Suruppak: red 2010 G8V with most of the add-ons I wanted. Was looking / lurking for a bit, so I decided to make my move. Scrounged for some $$, borrowed the rest.

2. I had 2 Guzzi enthusiasts agree to have a look at the bike: Bill Hagan on this site, Chicago Mark @ WildGuzzi. Both were willing to go out of their way to help me out and make sure the seller and bike were legit. Bill made it down there first, gave everything a clear thumbs-up. Really, Bill and Mark were terrific to volunteer - we've never met in person, and I'm still a n00b on the forums. My thanks go out to Mark for agreeing to help me out, and a huge thanks to Bill for actually locating and traveling to Mattoon for me!

3. Set things up for a long-distance trip to south-central Illinois. Round-trip air from CA to IL, train from Chicago to Mattoon, ride to Woodstock, train back to Chicago. Make arrangements to visit family out there when not daydreaming about the bike. [OK, I was daydreaming during the visits too. It was worse than being 10 years old again at Christmas time.]

4. At Chicago Mark's suggestion and introduction, I contacted Jim Barron up at RoseFarm Classics in Woodstock, IL. He enthusiastically and graciously agreed to wrench on my bike before I shipped it home to CA. Understanding the complexity of my itinerary, Jim even agreed to stay open late in case I didn't make up from Mattoon in time [I didn't].

5. Caught the relevant trains, made it to Mattoon, met up with Suruppak and his very nice daughter. The bike was everything everyone said it was, traded pieces of paper, and she was mine!

6. I found that Illinois State Troopers rarely patrol the Interstates between Mattoon and Woodstock. Which was very fortunate, as they would have made their quota as I flew up to get to Jim's before he closed. :shock: This was when I found out how much I needed to learn about my new ride: I got rained on, pelted by more insects than I thought lived on the planet, and learned that despite my speed I didn't really need the Parabreeza windscreen. Man, that 8V can accelerate...

7. Made it to Jim's, drank several of his refrigerated bottles of water [is that level of humidity even possible within the parameters of scientific explanation?!? Good Lord, how did people live out there before AC? Californians are spoiled...] Jim even gave me a tour of Woodstock [they filmed one of my favorite movies, Groundhog Day, there] before dropping me off at the Metra station.

8. Made it to my Uncle's...and promptly wished it was several days later, when I could ride the bike after Jim's tender ministrations.

9. Made it to Thursday, with only minimal strains on my family ties. Apparently I was somewhat obnoxious in expressing my impatience to get on my bike. Fortunately, my family is fairly forgiving... :lol:

10. Impression of a stock Griso after the mapping update [68], 6k mile maintenance, new tires and Jim's magic: wow! Seriously. Some years ago, I was amazed at the performance jump going from a WeeStrom [DL650] to a Honda ST1300. The difference between the ST and the post-Jim G8V - or the difference between the pre- and post-Jim 8V, for that matter - was almost literally, jaw-droppingly incredible. Taking the extra few miles and days to have Jim work on the bike was probably one of my better decisions.

11. Rode my new bike around southern WI, getting to know some of it's capabilities [I really need to work on low-speed, light-throttle riding] and liabilities [all that torque throwing me "right" while I'm making a hard-acceleration, hard-left turn will also require some work on my part :eek: ] was simply sublime. Jim and his daughter Kacey took very good care of me!

The only things holding me back from playing hookey and hitting the road are: 1) the bike won't be delivered until next week; and 2) needing to pass the CA out-of-state registration process. As the bike is bone-stock and is 50-state smoggable, this should be a formality. However, it ain't over 'til the plates are mounted.

So, I suppose this makes me a new G8V owner, though it'll probably be 10+ days before I can actually throw my leg over it.

You're going to love that bike. Congratulations on a great choice.

Back