• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

mercury stick or carbmate?

doug45 said:
with the Centurian S coming soon,I was wondering which way to go with a gauge

You asked a similar question in another thread, so I deleted it from that thread.

Here is my opinion on that. Mercury Sticks cannot be purchased, but there are similar devices made that use columns of inert/non toxic liquid. Columns of liquid can't lie, it is a principal of physics.. Dial gauges can be off, and digital units may or may not be accurate. The advantage of the carbmate is that is easily transported and there is no liquid that can spill out. So buy what you are comfortable using.

I've worked on bikes that were synced by a dealer using electronic equipment. When I used my old mercury sticks, I found them to be off quite a bit. Don't know it was the equipment used by the dealer, or the skill of the technician.

I have the original carbstix, the new version with the blue fluid and the carbmate. I prefer the carbmate by far. So much easier to use. But it could be the way I used my carbstix. I use to hang it and it would sometimes rotated while metering, PTA besides the time spent on hanging it. Mercury bounces around a bit too, and sometimes would get started unevenly and would have to restart the motor. Guess it depend on how the stix are set up, I didn't know any other way. A few times I used a step ladder straddled over the front wheel, again PTA. The carbmate can be placed just about anywhere.

The times I've gotten poor results from a shop, it was because of their crappy work and not the tool they used.

For accuracy on the carbmate I switch the hoses to L to R manifolds to confirm the readings is the same. No problem found yet. But the carbmate is more complex and more stuff to go wrong. That said, I hate carburator now and love FI. So far FI hasn't failed me or cause me to do more repairs or maintenance. And it's been 44 years since the first moon landing - electronics; pretty good stuff.

thanks for the input guys.....Since there are no longer any Guzzi dealers in my area i'm probably be a regular here.

I've owned a couple of mercury sticks and inevitably over the years they get emptied one way or another and given the toxicity of mercury it scares the crap out of me.

I don't know about the carbonate.

A simple 'U' tube manometer made with some plastic pipe and filled with some dyed minerial oil is quick, dirty, cheap and intrinsically accurate.

It will not be as stable as mercury due to mercury's density but if your bike swallows a bit of oil it isn't going to poison the neighbourhood.

Stick some airline valves as available in an aquarium store to dampen the vacuum if you find it dances around too much.

There are some decent electronic manometers and I am not really worried about calibration as you are really only worried about relative readings but you need to find one with the right sample rate so the scale is readable. I've used the motorola MPX pressure transducers with the circuit on the datasheet and it works very well and is dirt cheap.

I have used all sort of methods in the past but now use only my Twinmax. I have always had great results and the only drawback is that it sits long enough between uses I always have to put a new battery in it. :laugh:

Marc

After dropping and destroying my set of vacuum gauges. I obtained a tecMATE Synchromate and have found it a very very good tool. simple to use and reliable. It gives a direct comparison of the vacuum between 2 inlets on a single line scale and you simply center the reading to get a balance. It also returns revs (low speed only) for setting the idle speed (by counting the input pulses) and the actual vacuum (1 carb only - but if they are balanced, both will be the same)

see http://www.tecmate.com/d_synchromate.php#img

or the cheaper (home based)
http://www.tecmate.com/u_carbmate.php

Back