• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

What Happens When You Lowside a Griso

FreshEgg

Just got it firing!
Ran out of brain 50 miles north of Weaverville, CA and low-sided the Griso on CA Hwy 3, a month ago. I can confirm that those headcovers are really vulnerable. The clutch master cylinder also didn't do to well, the combo rendering the bike inoperable after the crash. The later was probably worsened by the fact that i was running w/o bar-ends.

The repair estimate (priced to perfection) was over $8K and only short of a write off because I'm taking the calculated risk of flushing the engine for the dirt that entered the rocker box instead of a full tear down and clean.

The day had been an AWESOME SQUIDFEST up to that point: Sacramento to Red Bluff; west on CA 36 to Hayfork; then north on CA 3 toward Yreka. The action was so hot and heavy my clutch fingers were beginning to blister. For a 600 pound motorcycle, the Griso tears up mountain roads pretty well. You just have to hang off and punch it out of the corners with the surplus of torque available. The thing loves to trail brake, too. Unfortunately, it was a 93 to 95 degree day, compounded by a 98 degree day at Yosemite previously and I basically faded out near the end of the day, waking up in the middle of a nothing corner headed for the outside, slammed on the brakes and lost the front. I simply did not have the mental capacity to make the corner at that moment.

Hard Lesson Learned: (1) Don't fuck around with the issues of rest, heat and hydration. I actually did not want to stop because w/o air flow it was like a furnace in my gear. In retrospect, How Stupid Was That? (2) Consider Head Guards. Nevertheless, I am totally in love the Griso and the roads above are amazing. Don't miss them if you have the chance.

Cheers,
Jin

Well, hope you're okay, that really is the most important part. But I have to ask: $8k to repair WHAT? Is there some hidden damage not apparent in those photos?

Glad to hear you are taking full responsibility. One thing I hate is people who screw up and try and blame anyone and anything but themselves. As you said, temperature and hydration are really relevant issues.

In terms of handling? New shock and revalved fork with lighter oil will work wonders. Heavier spring at the back is a must and at the front too unless you're a midget.

Pete

Although I've heard all about this firsthand, glad to know that the GRiSO Bianco will be back tearing up roads here in the PNW. I know you said that work was starting on it last week at Moto International, but when is it expected to be completed? Glad to see that the Quat-D came out unscathed!

Hey Roper, FreshEgg is an exemplary, and worthy, owner of a GRiSO. You two would enjoy each others company I'm certain!

SD

TalkingGriso said:
Well, hope you're okay, that really is the most important part. But I have to ask: $8k to repair WHAT? Is there some hidden damage not apparent in those photos?

I have been able to reduce the price of repairs by living with some scratches and dents, as performance is all i really care about, but some hi-lites below to give you an idea of the price of perfection (Bike slid on the left, caught the dirt and flopped onto right side):

Left Side:
Broken tab on lower triple $110 (replace)
Triple Tree Bearing $86 (replace)
Broken tab allowed bar to hit tank, cracked paint. New tank $1006 (declined)
Clutch M/C $346 (replace)
Left valve cover $100 (replace)
Rear rim Damage, Wheel $737 (replace)
Handle bar $266

Right Side:
Brake M/C, broken mirror mount $318 (replace)
Oil radiator Cover $464
Right valve cover $100 (declined)
CARC Housing, Scratched $988 (declined)

Small items like blinkers, grips, etc also need replacement. Labor also. It ADDS UP FAST! Strongly recommend fellow Griso owners consider headguards. The biggest risk is actually contamination when the cylinder cover is holed.

Hope this is of some service to others.

Cheers,
Jin

I couldn't agree more. Once I figured out how expensive even a stupid driveway drop could be, I fitted crash bars and a CARC guard. Cheap insurance, and they don't uglify the bike the way some less practical farkles do.

Glad you guys are OK but it hurts to see a Griso all banged up :( :(
OP, I can't help to think though...
What if you went for the full write up and have the bike totaled... then buy it back for cheap and stick that mill in an old Le Mans. :evil: :evil:
That would be fun and you still could buy a new Griso as a primary bike.

Having lowsided my Griso 1100, they are much more crashworthy than the 1200's. I bought a few bits from a friendly dealer at good guy prices and bought some pastrana bars at cycle gear for $25, but some bar end mirrors on and called it a day, it just has character now
Glad your OK

I can tell you that from personal experience last Thursday (12 Sep 13):

1. It's not that much fun, all things considered.

2. Several Griso hard parts turn ugly.

3. The CARC guard I bought from Todd Egan a year or so ago -- originally mounted on the Norge, then (thankfully) on the Griso -- worked as promised.

Griso's in the shop for (insurance-covered) repair. From front to back, the list I made includes, and all on the right side: Stelvio hand guard ground down; valve cover toast; "pork chop" and brake lever busted up; and the spool for maintenance stand ground away. And, as stated above, the CARC guard worked like a champ, keeping it scratch free (and possibly the bike from being totaled).

Looking forward to getting it and me back on these grand Virginia roads soon.

If you care, here's a slideshow that -- eventually -- shows the damage

http://tinyurl.com/Griso-Sliding

The (maddening) photobucket slideshow requires you constantly to move your curser to keep the captions displayed.

Bill

wittangamo said:
I couldn't agree more. Once I figured out how expensive even a stupid driveway drop could be, I fitted crash bars and a CARC guard. Cheap insurance, and they don't uglify the bike the way some less practical farkles do.

Those crash bars look really good on your Griso. I've been looking around to find some that fit well. Where did you get yours at?

Bill Hagan said:
I can tell you that from personal experience last Thursday (12 Sep 13):1. It's not that much fun, all things considered...
Bill(!), et al, oh no. Bike can be fixed/replaced, but the rider's not so much. Glad to see that both were minor incidents in the grand scheme of things... and glad to hear that the CARC guard paid off. I have a few more in stock if you desire another. :pinch:

Hope the bike heals fast for all of you.

Glad all is well and you learned from the squidfest. Wish I had the twisties you have access to . . .

rsmcpheet said:
wittangamo said:

Those crash bars look really good on your Griso. I've been looking around to find some that fit well. Where did you get yours at?

Mine are the latest model from Stucchi Luigi. Lucked out and got them cheap from a guy who was selling his Griso and never installed them.

http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=2358

Back