• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge bar vibration

PhillR

Just got it firing!
I have a 2007 2valve Norge. The bike is set up and balanced correctly. the problem I have is that the right hand bar has a vibration that blurs the mirror at cruising speed ( the left hand mirror is clear ) and after an hour or so the vibration starts to numb and tingle my hand which becomes painfull after a while. Any ideas how to stop this.

Phill, stock bike and OEM mapping?

If so, honestly the only way to resolve it is with fueling and exhaust changes. You can chase your proverbial tail with bar weights, etc... but if the bike is mostly stock, the bulk of the vibration is caused by the plugged exhaust and horrific fueling.

I would start by checking the vibrating bar and comparing it to the non vibrating bar. It cold be an assembly issue or a defect in the bar. Make sure they are both equally tight and otherwise secure. If only one vibrates then it seems that there is something wrong with it and I would check into that before trying to bandaid it with additional measures.
Also, check the throttle body sync as it can have a noticeable affect on the smoothness of a Guzzi.
Other options once you confirm nothing is physically wrong would be different grips and/or different weight bar ends. Sometimes it is a vibration tuning thing.

The bike has a Staintune on it run with the baffle in. It has also been re mapped which made a big difference to performance.
Don't know if the best idea would be to isolate it re small piece of rubber under the handle bar support .

I machined up a slightly heavier bar end weight for the throttle side (about 2 mm longer) and this made a huge difference - no numb hand on long trips now. I do have 20 mm spacers under the handle bar mounts and this is when vibes became bad. Problem now manageable.

I had a few combination on my Breva. Standard setup has vibrations. Helibars were better. Possibly down to a shorter spread and heavier thicker cast risers. The worst setup was using the Sport handle bars. Basically a long tube that can resonate.

This might be nuts but maybe fill the tube with something, flower with silicone caps!

But lots of Guzzi's do this and it can be worse at certain speeds so maybe fuelling as said, is an issue.

I find the right bar vibrates a little more on my 2007 Norge but not enough to really bother me. The tingling in the hand goes away after a while. I solved the vibrating mirrors issue by installing 1200 Sport mirrors as suggested some time ago on this forum. A relatively inexpensive fix and they look better as well!

The fact that the Sport mirrors don't vibrate suggests the mounting on the stock mirrors is somehow defective. Is it possible that the vibration in your left bar is a consequence of the mirror and not the cause?

BTW -.i also have a Staintune (no baffle) and Todd's PCV/AT. Awesome combination :)

Cheers

The actual weight of the mirrors will be critical here, Try taping a bit of lead (wheel balance weight) to the one which vibrates and see what difference that makes.
Changing the weight of the bar end would also make a difference.
Don't attempt to rubber mount anything, this just allows more vibration.

My 2006 Breva is the same. I fitted a simple grip reliever (Oxford Crampuster) which helps a little as it leads me to have less contact through my fingers..

Adding weight may or may not work. Frankly I think the whole end-weight approach is wrong. From my time as an archery coach what is needed with the weight is an isolator. The isolator serves to make the REFLECTED vibration out of phase with the original vibration and this will cause it to null. Just screwing a lump of metal to the bar end will just move the vibration to a different frequency.

Even with an isolator it will only be right at one frequency and its harmonics.

Mine has always done the same, right shakes, left is clear. I strike this up to bike character. That may be the wrong attitude and maybe I should attempt to fix it, but I haven't thus far. As for my hands going numb, the vibrations don't bother me even on 270 km stretches. Now, when I used to have a CBR and GSXR, hands would be numb in 10 minutes due to the weight I was putting on them from the leaned forward position.

Back