• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cylinder Guard

francod123

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I know there are some head guards for the cylinders but nothing that looks like it would do a whole lot. Per Todd's image link of the original v7 sport seen here, http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... t_1972.jpg , I like the guards that wrap around in this pic. Much better option and looks cool too. Could it potentially be offered if enough people are interested?

The pre'-12 small block doesn't easily offer this type of solution, and most of the valve cover bolt-ons really only keep the spark plug from breaking in a tip over. Best to install real crash bars, though I know they don't look as clean.
The '13+ heads makes any option even tougher.

If there is enough interest, I'm open to doing anything to be of help.

The guards on my Breva 1100 have one end attached to the frame and the other to the valve cover which seems less than ideal. they also prohibit the removal/refitting of the HT lead cover which means torquing the valve cover is basically impossible.

I know torquing is not essential, I learned how tight was tight as an apprentice, but it does make a mockery of the process and I really don't like the idea that the crash bars are bolted to the head.

Poor design IMHO.

I put Stucchi crash bars on my '13. After a few months you will not even notice that they are there.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 644
GT-Rx said:
The pre'-12 small block doesn't easily offer this type of solution, and most of the valve cover bolt-ons really only keep the spark plug from breaking in a tip over.

I think Jon/Sign would disagree with that. The aluminum cylinder guards mounted to his 2TB bike recently did an EXCELLENT job of protecting everything in a crash and allowed him to ride home.

There's a thread on Wildguzzi about it and they are looking into making some for the 1TB models too.

In both cases they mount between the valve cover and the head and protrude significantly outward to protect the cylinder.

And I still think my Over Racing Sliders would do a decent job for a typical drop.

francod123 said:
Someone had mentioned that the sliders, as seen here http://www.af1racing.com/store/scripts/ ... duct=56288, sometimes do more harm than good. Anyone want to chime in as to why they might be more harm than good?

There's a long standing debate in the sport bike world whether or not sliders might "CAUSE" frame damage.

My opinion is any impact that is hard enough to cause frame damage would have been as bad or worse without sliders, therefor I have sliders on my V7 and our Ducati 696.

The sliders pictured there are similar to the Over Racing ones I have. Both sets do mount to the frame bolts where the upper and lower frame rails come together at the front of the V7. I guess some people think applying torque to that point in a slide might be problematic, HOWEVER they are ignoring the fact that the Derlan (plastic) SLIDER is the weak link on purpose and should wear away during the slide, preventing that direct transmission of that force to those bolts or the frame.

So I'll continue to use them.

Kev M said:
GT-Rx said:
The pre'-12 small block doesn't easily offer this type of solution, and most of the valve cover bolt-ons really only keep the spark plug from breaking in a tip over.

I think Jon/Sign would disagree with that. The aluminum cylinder guards mounted to his 2TB bike recently did an EXCELLENT job of protecting everything in a crash and allowed him to ride home.

And I still think my Over Racing Sliders would do a decent job for a typical drop.

Kev, you mis-read my reply. I was referring to his original post about the tubular surround linked in his first post.

I try hard not to visit WG, so I'm not going to go looking, but a picture post here would be appreciated of the damage and what type he used.

Sliders do a decent job at low speed tip-overs... it's when any real force is involved do they fail and often cause significant damage. I've seen where they totaled the bike because they were bolted to the frame on UJMs. Hopefully this isn't the case on the SB V7s.

Tobor said:
I put Stucchi crash bars on my '13. After a few months you will not even notice that they are there.
Those are nice and complement the bike in the original V7 fashion. Well done.

GT-Rx said:
Kev M said:
GT-Rx said:

Kev, you mis-read my reply. I was referring to his original post about the tubular surround linked in his first post.

I try hard not to visit WG, so I'm not going to go looking, but a picture post here would be appreciated of the damage and what type he used.

Sliders do a decent job at low speed tip-overs... it's when any real force is involved do they fail and often cause significant damage. I've seen where they totaled the bike because they were bolted to the frame on UJMs. Hopefully this isn't the case on the SB V7s.

Like I said, the only time I've ever seen anything that might have included frame damage the bike would have been totaled with or without the sliders anyway. Unless the slider is just horribly engineered it's simple physics, the Derlan being the sacrificial weakest link.

I'll go search WG and post a link and a pic. The guard is kinda neat.

Personally I've always been a "Crash Bar" man, probably because of my Harley roots, but I've really taken to the sliders as a nice, neat solution. And SO much more elegant for something like a V7 Racer.

Here ya go:

wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=64682.0

Recall that I laid my V7 down in rural Canada while going to the rally there. Ray's headguards (formerly from Finebauforge) saved my bike from damage. The guard took the hit, and with minor repairs I was able to return 580 miles home in two+ days, albeit with a broken collar bone (ouch).

I'm please to report that Ray (rayjan140@btinternet.com) replaced the damage guard at no cost. Thank you!

Consider getting these guards, as I think their position under the valve cover gives better protection than ones on top of the valve covers. Below are photos of my guard before and after. On my bike the right side went down, and damaged were the windshield, foot peg, and rear brake pedal. That's it! The guard really saved the bike.

SDC11414.jpg

SDC11417.jpg

Thanks Kev. These fit the older SB, but not the new '13+ head I believe.

Sorry to jump into the party so late. I tried to transfer better photos to here from the Yahoo group, but Yahoo has now added a security element preventing photos from being copied. I guess it's a good thing. When I get I home I'll do it right from the source.

I think the bolt pattern for the new engine is the same, so the guards should work for the '13+ bikes. The only caveat is how they would look with the new valve covers. I scanned a new guard. I can email it, so someone can put it up against his valve cover for a look.

The protection it gave was outstanding. Note how bent it was afterwards, but it took the damage. The valve cover and engine were untouched.

Joe

I believe there is a question about how far out these guards would protrude from the new 1TB jugs (as they are wider than the previous). So a minor redesign with a little more material MIGHT be necessary or prudent. But they SHOULD bolt right up.

Kev M said:
I believe there is a question about how far out these guards would protrude from the new 1TB jugs (as they are wider than the previous). So a minor redesign with a little more material MIGHT be necessary or prudent. But they SHOULD bolt right up.

I could potentially be down with this design and snag one. The Stucchi crash bars are nice and look like the best protection but not completely sold on the idea of having that big thing in there...could be completely worth it though.

Kev M said:
The valve cover bolt pattern is the same, but everything else is different, including the head. I've had both sitting side by side, and can tell you that it would require a significant change in the part to work. Perhaps I'll look into it for production.

Crash-bars are always the best solution for real (at speed) protection.

GT-Rx said:
Kev M said:
The valve cover bolt pattern is the same, but everything else is different, including the head. I've had both sitting side by side, and can tell you that it would require a significant change in the part to work. Perhaps I'll look into it for production.

I guess we should have pulled valve covers when my little bro's V7C was here side-by-side with my V7 Stone.

That said, they use the same valve cover gaskets, and the cutout on these guards is the same for the area inside the gaskets and uses the same bolt pattern, so I'm having a hard time understanding what will interfere?

There's even a cut-out at the top for the vent line?

I know Sign has a scan of the part and someone from WG had volunteered to print it out and see if everything would align. I'll be happy to try next time I do a valve check (but that might not be for a little while).

My little bro has a new V7R on the way from San Fran (shipping) and maybe he will need to check the valves sooner, I could always ask him.

GT-Rx said:
Kev M said:
Crash-bars are always the best solution for real (at speed) protection.

Facts not in evidence, especially since crash bars mount to the frame and/or block so they can pose their own threats of damage too.

I guess I'm just not a fan of absolutes.

May I jump in here as the current producer of these headguards?

I have just had a look at the new V7 head and done some comparisons with the existing pattern of headguard.

With some modifications to the pattern it will be possible to produce a guard for the new motor, BUT I have concerns due to the fact they would have to be a lot wider and feel this could potentially compromise their effectiveness.

The existing guard edge adds less than 6cm width to the rocker cover clamping area and is proven to work OK in a fall.

The new pattern guard edge would have to be a minimum of 9cm wider than the rocker cover clamping area to present a protective edge in a fall. My concern here is that in a fall there could be resultant damage to the new style rocker cover and possibly to the screw threads in the head due the the forces acting further away than with the old head pattern.

Also required would be a set of 8 x 10mm longer versions of the large head securing screws. I don't know how expensive these would be to source.

I am prepared to have a go at producing a working pattern however if there is demand.

Back