• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New 2013 V7 Stone, dipstick / suspension questions

Bobby

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Famiglia
Hi guys, newish owner here. I've been lurking around for a while. I got a V7 Stone a short while ago and it's very niiice. I've only done a few cosmetic mods so far, black racer sidecovers, CRG Arrow bar end mirrors, fender eliminator. But I do have some Agostini pipes on the way and plan on getting my ECU flashed by Todd. Here's a pic:
PV60QB8.jpg

I was hoping you guys could clear a few things up for me cause the user manual doesn't seem to be up to date with a few things. One thing is reading the oil dipstick and I hope I don't come off as an idiot here but here goes. This is a photo of my dipstick:
GqgouLK.jpg

In the manual, the dipstick illustration doesn't have a notch a 1/3 way up the dipstick like in the photo above. It just illustrates the entire cross hatched section as "Min" and "Max". I personally have assumed the notch on my dipstick to represent "Min" or "we don't recommend you go below this level". A Guzzi friend of mine thinks it could be the "Max". Which would suck because it means I'm over.

Second question is about adjusting the suspension. Again, the manual is a bit off. Here's a photo of the Olle suspension that was included with my '13:
UObhZYG.jpg

In the manual, the suspension that is illustrated has 1 adjustment ring and 1 locking ring that are both located at the bottom. Mine has 1 adjustment ring at the bottom and 1 mystery ring at the top. I can't figure out what the one at the top does! No matter how much I turn the top ring in either direction, nothing locks or unlocks. The adjustment ring at the bottom is always moveable . Is the top ring purely cosmetic?

1 last question, I know my headers are supposed to blue, but mine seems a bit excessive. Thoughts?

Anyway, sorry for all the questions but I figured there's probably at least 1 other poor fool that could benefit from your guys' wisdom. :whistle:

Dipstick - I would treat that line as the "oil is low." On my bike the "personal max" for the bike was a little less than the max level. At max, oil would get thrown out the airbox. This may be something you'll have to resolve at next oil change. Inspect the dipstick then.

Either way, you have to be careful w the oil, as the level can drop fast with spirited riding. I warned you.

Exhaust pipes - Yep, they get blue. People blame the lean map for emission regs. Of course it's also the mark of a fast rider, who pushes the bike to perform. Yea!

Joe

Though common practice on Guzzis is to run them a little below max (or to worry about oil carryover to the breather), I've found my Stone doesn't really do that and therefore run the oil damn near the top of cross-hatch.

FYI the airbox and breather hoses appear somewhat different on the new 1TB models. And the oil level seems FAR MORE STABLE on the new motors.

As for the shocks, makes no difference what end the threaded adjuster is located. They secure like locknuts. When the adjuster is where you want it tighten the locknut against it (while holding the adjuster steady or even turning it back snug on the locknut) to keep them from loosening. Spring pressure will keep the adjuster from moving toward the spring on its own.

Yes, the pipes blue A LOT.

pete roper said:
Kev, I think the new motors use less oil due to the redesign of both the pistons and oil control rings.

Pete

I've read that in some of the press releases. I don't know the why, but I sure have enjoyed the result.

That plus my sump extender and it's a complete non-issue now.

I would compare your shocks to another. That appears to be wrong, but I have not looked at another to compare. The two ring nuts must be next to each other or they do not lock. That said, the spring pressure alone would likely keep the adjuster nut from spinning. But it would not act as a lock nut from the other side of the spring.
Again, I would compare it to others.

GuzziMoto said:
I would compare your shocks to another. That appears to be wrong, but I have not looked at another to compare. The two ring nuts must be next to each other or they do not lock. That said, the spring pressure alone would likely keep the adjuster nut from spinning. But it would not act as a lock nut from the other side of the spring.
Again, I would compare it to others.

My god you're right... I'm looking at another US spec V7 Stone and it has the same exact shocks but with the locking ring on the bottom. :silly: Wow that's a really dumb mistake! I was pretty certain the design made zero sense but thought I was just missing something. And now I'm noticing my springs, one has a polished finish and the other is matte, they don't even match! Do any of you know if the shocks are dealer installed or if they ship like that from Italy?

And thanks or the responses on reading the dipstick, guys, really appreciate it. Not sure I'm 100% clear though so I attached another pic to ensure we're on the same page.
KzXila2.jpg

Sign, when you say top line, are you referring to A or B in above the pic? Basically what I'm unclear about is what does B represent? Is that the optimal oil level, minimum oil level, or max? Right now I'm somewhere between A and B.

Oil level, I keep mine btw A-B. The bike was setup and delivered with oil level to A. I consider B as the Min. level. Did you buy the bike new or used? I'm wondering if the bike was crashed and a replacement shock was incorrectly installed? Mine is a Racer so I have BiTubos, but yes you have some "shocking" issues there for sure. Hope you get it sorted out successfully.

My old big block Stone had a dipstick with no middle 'B' line.

BUT! - The correct method of checking the oil required screwing the dipstick all the way in, and then out again.

I measured and double checked, then added a notch on my dipstick just like your 'B' line, so I could first remove the dipstick, wipe it clean and then just dip it to gauge the upper level.

Firstly double check your manual to clarify dip or screw in.
Then line 'B' may become more apparent.

Oh crap, sorry, I TOTALLY missed what you meant by the shock question. Yeah, that's screwed up.

As for dipstick. Don't listen to the dipsticks :p with 2Tb or big block models. The V7 Stone and other 1Tb models are a different beast.

Top of hatched area is full. Keep it there, or near there...I SUSPECT "B" is the "Min" line, which means just keep it above there, but "full" or "Max" is definitely not that low.

And NO, "B" IS NOT the "optimal" or recommended level in any way, as the factory has never recognized that you should run any models below full.

Thanks for the help, you guys are great!

tonUPRacer, the bike was new from a dealer
ghezzi, it's a dip, not a screw.
KevM, I will be keeping that crosshatched area filled thanks

So yeah I found Olle's website and it has photos of the 2013 V7 equipped w/ their shocks in the gallery. And they're actually the same as mine, one adjustment ring on the bottom, 1 mystery ring at the top. So I guess mine aren't all that defective at least by their standards. I sent them an email asking how you lock the ring in place, waiting to hear back. I haven't had any problems with the ring moving on its own but still, and I swear the ring on top does NOTHING!

Late to the discussion here... but the top ring likely holds on the chrome trim cap. There is likely one below it.

To be clear, though my Stone very uncharacteristically holds it's oil level at or very near the top, so I maintain it there, you have to learn your motor.

IF IT HABITUALLY DROPS, then check the air cleaner to be sure it's not carrying over. If it does carry over, then stop filling it so much and see if it finds its own level like other Guzzis.

But, so far I've not heard of a 1TB model doing that.

Also, though I'm typically retentive enough to like vehicles that hold a full level, I recognize that for most 4-stroke motors there's a reason there is an acceptable range, because any motor may use or lose oil and none of them NEED to necessarily be kept AT the full mark.

Just got a response from Olle.

Referring to your request, there is an only way to adjust the spring preload
of the shock absorber and it is through the ring of the bottom. You should
loose the small screw that fixes the ring. Once you have done that, you have
to adjust the preload of the spring to your requirements and finally, you
should tighten the screw again. Be careful when tightening the screw,
because it is a way to avoid the loosing of the preload ring with the
vibrations. You only have to tighten it until you feel it's fixing the ring.
If you tighten it so much, you could damage the thread.

My 1tb v7r has the same layout on the dipstick as the pictured one, although the book shows a picture of one with another "max" line about 3/4s the way up the stamped area. The lower line is in the same place as the single line version, obviously the "min" line.
To check the oil; with the engine warm, hold the bike in the vertical position with both wheels on the ground, with the dipstick INSERTED BUT NOT SCREWED IN. The correct oil level is near the max mark.
Bare

Bobby said:
Just got a response from Olle.

Referring to your request, there is an only way to adjust the spring preload
of the shock absorber and it is through the ring of the bottom. You should
loose the small screw that fixes the ring. Once you have done that, you have
to adjust the preload of the spring to your requirements and finally, you
should tighten the screw again. Be careful when tightening the screw,
because it is a way to avoid the loosing of the preload ring with the
vibrations. You only have to tighten it until you feel it's fixing the ring.
If you tighten it so much, you could damage the thread.

Did they just say there's a set-screw in the adjuster ring on the bottom?

If you look very carefully you will find an Allen head set screw embedded in the bottom nut. This, once tightened, keeps the nut from rotating.

Bobby said:
GuzziMoto said:
And thanks or the responses on reading the dipstick, guys, really appreciate it. Not sure I'm 100% clear though so I attached another pic to ensure we're on the same page.
KzXila2.jpg

Sign, when you say top line, are you referring to A or B in above the pic? Basically what I'm unclear about is what does B represent? Is that the optimal oil level, minimum oil level, or max? Right now I'm somewhere between A and B.

Bobby, sorry to answer late. On my 2TB engine I fill it between marks A and B. If it's all the way up to the top of A, it's too much oil and then it throws oil into the airbox.

As for screwed in/ not screwed; I check it both ways. A couple of times each way. It's a personal thing for me. Regardless, there's enough variation in the readings that keeping the oil between A and B covers you no matter how you measure.

As with all things Guzzi, the answer isn't clear and you have to find what works for you.

warendt said:
If you look very carefully you will find an Allen head set screw embedded in the bottom nut. This, once tightened, keeps the nut from rotating.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Guess I shoulda checked mine, cause it's the same set-up lol. :lol:

I was gonna adjust it once the suspension broke in, but it seemed to be the perfect balance between cargo and comfort for me, so I left it (ok, maybe it's a tad on the taught side, but I DO carry a passenger ONCE IN A WHILE and I'm not about to stop and adjust it when I do).

Oh, on the threaded or not threaded - it's CLEARLY stated that you just dip it (don't thread it) for the new 1TB motors.

Which I find perfectly acceptable because that's how you check ALMOST EVERY OTHER ENGINE THAT'S EVER HAD A THREADED DIPSTICK.

:laugh:

My V7 Stone has Ollé shocks exactly as pictured. At the bottom, an adjustment ring but no lock ring. At top, an apparently nonfunctional ring. I have about 3500 mi on my bike and haven't noticed any movement of the apparently non-locked adjustment rings. I saw another V7 Stone, a white one (mine is matte black) that had different shocks, I believe they are Sachs brand (it also had different tires, Pirellis on the white one, Metzlers on mine). The Sachs shocks had the adjustment and lock rings at the bottom and no ring at the top. Both of these bikes came equipped from the factory with these different shocks and tires, and were bought from the same dealer. The owner's manual gives adjustment instructions that would apply to the Sachs shocks but not to the Ollé ones. Go figure.

My dipstick doesn't have the scribe line. When I did the 600 mi initial service, I put in 2 liters and the level was at the top of the hatched flat area. I've been checking the oil level regularly. Hasn't burned a drop yet.

Back