• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

ECU disconnect

nose2wind

Tuned and Synch'ed
09 Stelvio. Key on have this ECU disconnect error. Everything comes on and reads fine except for the error. Nothing at starter switch. I checked my grounds at starter and are fine. Is this a know problem? Did a search with not much luck. Are there other grounds to check? Someone point me in the right direction. Thanks

You may have a problem with an ECU connector (there are two) or the ECU ground. Remove the connectors and clean with a spray electrical contact cleaner. Then remove clean and re-install the ECU ground. Hopefully a bad ground hasn't fried the ECU.

Thanks for the quick reply. The previous owner had a similar incident with same error and it was a ground issue. I checked the battery leads/grounds and they looked clean etc. Are you rerfering to the grounds that are up around the ECU itself? Any info on where those lead to on the bike? I will go there next... Can the plugs be pulled off without removing the ECU itself?

TIA

ECU info here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/221/3165 - yes the plugs and ground can be addressed without removal. I would also read the dash menu for errors and post them here, or use the post in the CARC section to find out what they are. The Manuals also cover all above. See Downloads tab above.

nose2wind said:
Thanks for the quick reply. The previous owner had a similar incident with same error and it was a ground issue. I checked the battery leads/grounds and they looked clean etc. Are you rerfering to the grounds that are up around the ECU itself? Any info on where those lead to on the bike? I will go there next... Can the plugs be pulled off without removing the ECU itself?

TIA

There is a ground wire bolted directly to the ECU. Also the tow connectors have a locking lever. Be sure to completely release them before trying to remove. On Install, the plug goes so far, then the locking lever will pull it home.

Problem still not solved. Couple more items to add... Key on: No neutral light, no kickstand light.

ECU errors Active 0

Dash errors Active 0 There where memos present: 1,2,3,7,8

Grounds at starter looked fine. Checked all fuses looked fine

ECU grounds still out of reach but looked ok clean snug. I'm in the process of removing the left side to gain better access to the conectors etc. Not having removed these plugs(don't know how the release works,) I want more room to see what is going where etc and good view of the grounds. I think an addition ground was added that is going to the frame. This may have been added by the shop where Bruce had the bike worked on. Any input welcome.

john zibell said:
You may have a problem with an ECU connector (there are two) or the ECU ground. Remove the connectors and clean with a spray electrical contact cleaner. Then remove clean and re-install the ECU ground. Hopefully a bad ground hasn't fried the ECU.

l removed left panel. Ground is good. Even had an additional ground from a previous encounter with ECU disconnect error. At that time a shorted wire from a fuel cell seemed to be the problem. Disconnected the ECU. Cleaned and reconnected. No Go. ... Checked wiring and haven't found any suspicious wires. Any suggestions.

l removed left panel. Ground is good. Even had an additional ground from a previous encounter with ECU disconnect error. At that time a shorted wire from a fuel cell seemed to be the problem. Disconnected the ECU. Cleaned and reconnected. No Go. ... Checked wiring and haven't found any suspicious wires. Any suggestions

Does anyone know what causes the ECU disconnect error? Any bad/shorted wiring? Blown fuses, relays, etc...? What does each relay do. I cannot find what each relay is for just the fuses...

Thanks

nose2wind said:
l removed left panel. Ground is good. Even had an additional ground from a previous encounter with ECU disconnect error. At that time a shorted wire from a fuel cell seemed to be the problem. Disconnected the ECU. Cleaned and reconnected. No Go. ... Checked wiring and haven't found any suspicious wires. Any suggestions

If you go over Carl's schematic to see why no neutral light and other symptoms and can't solve this it looks like it's time to go to MPH in Houston. These kinds of things are difficult to troubleshoot over the internet. Someone needs to get their hands on the bike.

Did you check the connections to the dashboard too?
When you turn on the key, can you hear the stepper motor running for a second?

nose2wind,

My '09 Stelvio had an ECU disconnect problem that was related to the optional Guzzi alarm not installed on my bike. I think there is a "dummy plug" where the alarm would be connected that has jumper wires in it. The alarm may interfere with ECU operation to prevent theft (a guess on my part). You might want to be sure there is no corrosion in that connector. It has been a while since the incident.

Good luck. Regards,

Craig

I would suggest Craig´s idea, too. One can find the plug on the left side behind in driving direction and a little lower of the ECU, there is a horizontal plate at the left front side of the frame where the OEM alarm would be screwed (btw. this is also the place where the TomTom cable is hidden).

To get an idea what to search for this picture may help:

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthu ... 000003.jpg

The cable at the lower side of the pic shows the other half of the dummy plug. The dummy plug is not sold separately but only together with the complete cable tree (€500,--). But if this part should really fail one can likely repair it or maybe geot one from a wrecked bike. Some KTM use the same alarm and dummy plug...

Have a check at the negative cable to the battery my crimp that is covered by heat shrink to the terminal was lose and causing gremlins..
Just opened up the heat shrink and re crimped the lug and all issues gone.
Not sure if it's relevant to your issue... Worth a look

Mystery Solved

Not the starter. (although starter needed work)
Will post about starter in new thread

Speedo Wire that runs past caliper bolt was pinched between bolt and caliper. One wire was cut through and exposed and or grounded.

I had gone back to check all fuses and check relays again. The Neutral light and kickstand light were not showing. I found a blown fuse. Replaced and blew again, after I noticed the N light was back on. I was thinking there must be a short. I suspected the kickstand switch wire as I noticed it was being rubbed by the bash plate. It was ok. I was thinking, what was one of the last items to be worked on? Rear tire... I went back and noticed the supporting clip/guide that holds the wire away from the brake rotor was on the bottom bolt and remembered it was supposed to be on the top bolt. The wire was running very close to the top bolt. I removed the top caliper bolt and found the wire had been crimped and mashed by the caliper bolt. Fixed wire. Key on...no error. Fired right up.

Yeah!!!

This bike has had a similar error due to a bare wire on frame. (previous owner) I can only assume that in some cases a short can cause the ECU to disconnect. Maybe this is to prevent possible damage to ECU or Dash. (Just guessing) In any case be aware that an ECU disconnect error can be caused by shorted or wire against frame.

I am glad you got it sorted out, David! Those electrical gremlins can be vexing!

By the way, I can't seem to update my signature block. The '09 Stelvio in my sig is no longer mine - it was the subject of this thread.

Cheers,

Bruce

IMG 20180709 105759 IMG 20180709 102546 IMG 20180709 105759 IMG 20180709 102546 URGENT please, stuck on roadside with my 2013 Stelvio NTX in Boston.

Riding smooth, suddenly stalled with symbol ECU + disconnected cable. All other indicators OK EXCEPT Click is stuck on 0:00AM and I cannot get the Menu...
I followed directions on this site (thanks) and removed + reconnected both ECU couplings; no change. Also verified battery terminals and disconnected ground for a minute. I verified (as best I could) cables and all looks good.

One connector (wrapped above ECU - photo) looks like it could have lost a part; can anyone shed light? Other suggestions?

Many thanks.
Bummer
to face electrical issues on these modern Guzzi; they were notorious in the 70s and I'd hoped they would have improved....

Last edited:
Back