• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil change tips?

rhip

Just got it firing!
My 2013 Stelvio only has 3200 miles on it, and my dealer did the initial oil change for me. Checking the level today I found the oil midway between the dipstick marks, which I believe Pete says is normal (sounds like my '77 RS - no matter how often I topped it up, it always went down to midway on the dipstick,and stayed there). But when I went to try adding a bit, i noticed the plastic nut that apparently must be unscrewed to get any sort of realistically sized orifice in which to pour the syrupy 10W60.
If so, then that means that to check the level after adding some oil, I have to screw in the plastic, check the dipstick, and if more is needed, redo this entire process? That is a crappy design - if there is another way of dong it, or a replacement setup that eliminates the two steps, please let me know.
I have been changing oil on my bikes for 40 years, and is it really necessary to remove the crash bars to get the bash plate off for the filter change? Guzzi final gets a real external spin-on filter, but we need to go through all of that to get it off?
I did try to search this site for any more detailed information on how to do an oil change, but the reply to each search told me that the word "oil" was being deleted - what's with that? If anyone has set out the process, I'd sure appreciate seeing it. Thanks!

I had the same exercise last week and agree, it's a pain. I'm planning on cutting a circular hole in my sump protector to speed things up. I did however notice oil/water contamination in the tappet covers and needed wiping out and washing with de greasing fluid. (Typical condensation issues with winter setting in)

Attachments

• 20131005_095809_LLS-1-1.jpg
    20131005_095809_LLS-1-1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 870
rhip said:
If anyone has set out the process, I'd sure appreciate seeing it.

Haven't seen one. It just a PTA, disassemble tons of stuff. You have 3 other options:

1. Cut out the stock sump cover.
2. Replace the stock cover with a Stucchi bash plate - which has a hole for the filter.
3. Remove the stock sump cover permanently, Doesn't matter if you don't ride on dirt roads frequently.

To answer the OP's original question....

Assuming you have a 2013 NTX, The crashbars do not have to come off. There are four bolts that hold on the bash plate. Takes all of 30 seconds to get it off. Not a big issue.

As for the cap that needs to be taken off, yes it does add a little extra time, but not a lot. Put 3 litres in the bike and then start and run for 30 seconds to fill the oil filter (assuming you took out the filter). You will need to put the plastic insert back in and dip stick. Let rest of a couple of minutes and then check the level and note the location on the stick and how much more you need to fill on the stick. Take the dip stick plug out and check the level again and note the new location on the stick. Add more oil to make up the need difference in the level (ie. if the measurement with the plug was 1/4"more, add 1/4" more). Put the plug back in and recheck the level.

The whole process take me about 15 minutes not including drain time.

As a note, the valvle cover in Farway picture is not the same as yours. There is no sparkplug tube in the middle of the cover on the 2012+ models.

you could get a cap from a griso, they screw in and are 1 piece. then when removed to read the big hole is wide open :mrgreen:

I just found a funnel that works or you can make one up using a short piece of hose and some clamps with funnel you may have downsizing to tip that fits. I have also removed the front half of the cover that makes things easier too. I completely removed the cover and brackets from the right side. I prefer to see the engine not some crappy piece of plastic. Saved about 3-5 lbs of weight too.

Attachments

• WP_20130824_003.jpg
    WP_20130824_003.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 717
  • WP_20130824_004.jpg
    WP_20130824_004.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 716
pete roper said:
How often does your bike get ridden 20 miles or more under load?

Pete
Bike does a daily 60 mile round trip to work and back. Starts and Idles for 15-30 sec every morning to ensure oil gets everywhere. Flat roads, 5 set's of traffic lights, everage speeds of 65 to 85mph. Ride the bike HARD possibly once every 4th day or so. Average RPM's 4.5-6.5k between gear changes. I use Agip's ENI Ride 10-60oil and was shocked how sensitive it was to moisture. I need to look to if the Motul brand possibly works better but it is inevitable that condensation will form inside the tappet covers especially with our cooler weather setting in. I did "flush" the engine with a litre or so of clean oil to ensure all gunk was removed from sump and tbh, there was a fair bit of "creamy" oil draining out... Might start wrapping the guzzi in a quilt in the evenings :whistle:

Local auto accessories may have a large plastic syringe that may or may not have a tube extension. I use this method to fill the gearbox and diff with very little to nil leaks.
Cheers from sunny Australia. Blue

1minute 38 seconds! :lol: :lol:

Now I am not sure but I may leave it off... Purely cosmetic for me anyway.

All the best!

Jay on Southcoast

jknight611 said:
1minute 38 seconds! :lol: :lol:

Now I am not sure but I may leave it off... Purely cosmetic for me anyway.

All the best!

Jay on Southcoast

Time is directly proportional to the number of beer consumed before and during the operation...

Individual results vary based on the beer brand.....especially if it is Canadian Beer........ ;)

Back