• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso 8V crashbar, anyone? The Stucchi one sucks!!!

If it makes a difference in designing something better.
I think I know exactly when mine broke.

After riding home from work yesterday; the motorcycle was making the typical creaking sounds as it cools down.
But as I was closing the garage door; I heard an unusually loud creak.
I thought to myself "WTF was that ?!".
This morning when I started to look for a mounting location for my Stebel horn; I noticed a cracked weld on the front right side Stucchi crashbar.
Upon touching the crashbar to investigate the crack; is when I realized the entire front weld of the crashbar had broken through.

With the amount of movement that broken crashbar has. I think I would have noticed if it broke free while I was riding.
And a lack of any scratches on the valve cover or frame leads me to believe that "unusually loud creak" was when it broke.

I've had the new version for about 5k miles now. Haven't felt like crash testing it, but it looks and feels nice and solid. The front triangles give it a little extra bling, though they seem to be bug magnets. No complaints, especially since I got them for a bargain price from a gent who sold his Griso before he ever mounted them.

9320806775_bd0481c2a3_b.jpg

wittangamo said:
I've had the new version for about 5k miles now. Haven't felt like crash testing it, but it looks and feels nice and solid. The front triangles give it a little extra bling, though they seem to be bug magnets. No complaints, especially since I got them for a bargain price from a gent who sold his Griso before he ever mounted them.

9320806775_bd0481c2a3_b.jpg

Do they still have to be removed; or loosened; to remove the valve covers ?

ett said:

No, there's plenty of room.

If you look at the closeup photo on the MGcycle site, the mounts have been redesigned with a triangular bracket on the front for extra strength. Both the front and rear mounts look stronger than the failed examples in the early posts in this thread.

wittangamo said:
ett said:

No, there's plenty of room.

If you look at the closeup photo on the MGcycle site, the mounts have been redesigned with a triangular bracket on the front for extra strength. Both the front and rear mounts look stringer than the failed examples in the early posts in this thread.

Thanks !
I just ordered a set. :)

Bummer. I received the bars today. Very fast shipping from MGCycle.
But the left side bar is missing it's plastic end plugs !
That's two strikes for Stucchi Luigi.

If MGCycle does not have the plugs in their shop; then I guess I'll be returning these bars the same as I did for the first generation bars. And never buy a Stucchi Luigi product again.

GT-Rx said:
OK, should I look into doing these correctly to offer up to those in need?

Can't voice much of an opinion about cylinder crashbars. But what I envision for protection of the CARC and of the Griso's oil cooler housing, are tightly conforming skins (stamped pieces?) of something very tough, like titanium or stainless steel, to work as sliders on those vulnerable edges of the bike. Maybe a mm or so in thickness would be enough?

The CARC piece would cover the protruding 'cone' of the rear housing, which seems to be the area that takes the hits. I don't know if anyone would care that "CARC" could no longer be read.

And the oil cooler slider could be something smaller, covering just the protruding lower fwd corner, since that edge is almost guaranteed to take a grinding in a right side fall. It wouldn't need to be more than a few sq. inches in total area. And of course these skins could be painted black to blend in with the rest of the bike.

These skins would be, by design, very low profile. And you wouldn't even necessarily need hardware to install them. I believe they'd stay in place more or less permanently by use of that ultra strong two-sided tape that is used for hold on car's exterior body trim. It's available at any auto parts store, and anyone who's ever used it knows how ridiculously strong it is when applied to a smooth, clean surface. Once you've stuck something down with it, it's not coming off again without some determined prying of a screwdriver or similar tool.

FWIW, I sent you (Todd) an email about this idea a year or so ago, though it might have been included with some other correspondence and thus overlooked. Or maybe it just didn't sound like that great of an idea. :unsure:

What I envision for protection of the CARC and of the Griso's oil cooler housing, are tightly conforming skins (stamped pieces?) of something very tough, like titanium or stainless steel, to work as sliders on those vulnerable edges of the bike.

You mean like this?

mg804.jpg

Wow, yes. Kind of. But not that big and fancy.... and expensive looking. :p

What's it made of and why isn't it mentioned (that I know of) as an alternative to the little 'crashbar' commonly used?

EDIT: I looked it up on MC Cycle's site. It's aluminum. I'm sure it would work fine, though bigger and gaudier than it needs to be, I think. Stainless or titanium might work better. They're both much harder metals and could be thinner. But I don't know. Stamping and form fitting involves tooling. I have no idea what development costs would be. Not my area at all.

We could still use some kind of slider for the oil cooler housing.

Stucchi Luigi CARC protector for Breva, Stelvio, Norge, Griso. Scratch resistant silver anodized aluminum with steel and stainless steel hardware.

I personally don't like the look, and got the standard Stevio version for my Griso.

9328226540_d1e588bc4b_b.jpg

I put on the Hepco Becker crash bars. They were mentioned in an earlier post, but here are some pictures of them:
I hope to never find out if they work. ;)

PA203309_zpsccec2157.jpg

PA203310_zpsfecd2e99.jpg

89MilleGT said:
I put on the Hepco Becker crash bars. They were mentioned in an earlier post, but here are some pictures of them:
I hope to never find to if they work. ;)
I actually don't mind the look of these bars at all. Or either of the stucchi offerings for that matter. In fact I think they're all kind of cool looking in their own ways. I've wondered why the H&B bars have that skinny tubing for a top bar, but it must be because there is such tight clearance between the wing/fairing and the exhaust pipe. They had to use narrower tubing in order to route a connection right there?

That smaller tubing connects to the bolt holding the engine cover piece.
The strength of this bar is at the engine mount point, 1/4" thick there.

Well I called MGCycle last week. They mailed me a set of plastics plugs for the ends of the left side crash bar.
Today I finally got a chance to install the bars.

They were a little annoying to install. Only because I did not have a 10mm hex socket that could clear the bars when tightening the motor mount bolts.
Meaning I could not use my torque wrench on them. I could only get a 10mm hex key on them and guess at the torque.
In fact my hex key didn't even clear the bars completely. My hex key marred the bars a little.

The bars still look like they will have to be loosened to take off the valve covers.
But the ends of the bars and how they bolt on. Appear to be a big improvement over the first generation of bars.
In fact; the right side bar actually clears the rear brake reservoir.
Only time will tell if they are better made.
If I recall correctly; the first generation of Stucchi Luigi crashbars broke at around 5,500 miles.
That's about six weeks for me.

Here some photos showing how they mount.
Please don't mind how grungy my Griso looks.
I can never be accused of having a "garage queen". I ride too much for that. :D

PB020401.JPG

PB020402.JPG

PB020403.JPG

PB020404.JPG

PB020405.JPG

PB020406.JPG

PB020407.JPG

Do those things actually work? My Griso fell off it's stand when gravel gave way under it. The left valve cover was scratched and gouged, mirror bent and gear lever pin busted. Those things look like they would bend. Would they have saved my valve cover or broken it?

Back