• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil feed to the crank big end journal

rolf j

Tuned and Synch'ed
My big end went tits up on the race track from obvious oil starvation reasons by the look of things. I use a windage tray. Ordinary big twin 78 mm crank hooket up to Carrillos in 88 mm cylinders. So the question is why? I can't exclude a slightly low oil level as part of the reason, but still.... Best quality oil money can buy was in the sump. The oil pump I first suspected is a type with 16 mm high cogs and looking good visually. I do not have a mechanical pressure gauge (next year for sure!). No flicker or light from the oil lamp, the switch appears to be fine, but I have not tested the pressure relief valve.

The engine is raced in anger, only used on the track. Normal shifting rev is 8-8500 with an occasional push to 9000 to save a gearshift, but never beyond that.

I have a number of cranks lying about in the garage for replacement and I noticed a slightly different feature of the failed crank compared to the others:
The edges of the oil feed holes in the big end journal are slightly bevelled or trimmed down on the SPARE cranks, but the one that failed have holes with an absolutely SHARP edge! I have noticed that tuners of americane race car engines are hysterically concerned about making bevelled edges of the oil feed holes in order to aid flow when taking the revs beyond the "normal" for a street engine. There are youtube shots out there showing how they grind down the edge of the holes "downstream" for the oil feed in order to aid flow into the bearing.

Has anyone heard of this issue in Guzzi engines? Both me and my friend and country mate Rolf Halvorsen wonder about this. Could ommission of this detail be part of the reason why I hear about so many reground cranks not doing too well? I.e. an oil feed problem reaching further than the nitrite surface issue. Incidentally my failed crank was not reground, but the sharp edges of the oil feed holes look like they would look like if somewone reground the crank without giving the edges of these holes any attention. You can clearly see that these holes have been slightly trimmed down on my spare cranks.

Anyone with knowledge into this? Should these edges ble trimmed down even FURTHER for racing use?

(Obviously the above is not an issue for the front and rear bearings that have their oil fed into the bearing by different means through a deep groove in the bearing).

Rolf Johansen

What is your big end bearing to crank clearance ??

What is your oil pressure relief valve set to ?? For racing should be 10lbs per 1,000 rpm

If you are running too lean that can cause pre ignition and heat that seems to affect rod bearings first which could then affect your crank ?

The bevel on the oil feed holes helps but I doubt it is critical.....

When I blew my Le Mans up, it was due to the main bearing oil hole "locating dowels" were missing.
The bearings didn't turn out of alignment, but I would have had low oil pressure to the bottom end and high pressure to the cam and above.

At the same time the engineering shop had a Chrysler classic with 60,000 miles and a spun bearing.
One big end had no oil holes at all. 1 careful owner = no problems until traded in, young salesman took it home for the weekend, ......................... and bang!

1. Things can be missed at original factory machining and assembly.
2. Engines can survive regardless of the above, until raced.

Advice, do everything possible to make it stronger and more reliable.

Thanks Pete, looking forward to your views.

rolf

Back