• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

A taste of the Cal 14 - 3.15.13

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Ewan McGregor's not the only one to swing a leg over the Cal 14 today (3.15.13)... we got to sample it here in the State it's named after; California.

Update: Since today (4.4.13) is the day of the "Official Release" Party here in L.A. later tonight, I figure it's as timely of a post as can be. :pinch:

I'll start with the questions everyone probably has about the bike, like I did. Yes, it's bigger then the older Cali, by a lot. First though, is the weight of the bike really apparent? No, not at all. I'd say it carries it's weight better then any of the Tonti Californias. Second, with that long-ass wheelbase and rake, how does it handle? Shockingly well. It's more-so stable then the last gen California, yet still manages to change direction extremely well. Perhaps it's the wide bars that helps, but input seems really minimal, despite the large 200 series rear tire. Is it as sporting as the Tonti Cali? Yes and no, just very different. I wasn't able to sample the bike in any real significant twisty roads for here in SoCal, but the bike was extremely confidence inspiring. Without putting too much cornering load on the suspension, the floor-boards took some effort to touch down. With a little bit of aggressiveness, they did touch down earlier and sooner, but just in a way to alert you, not alarm you like the side or center-stand of the last gen. Suspension: The bike is super-plush with my 200 lb. frame aboard. I didn't tinker at all with the suspension settings, as my time was limited... but suffice to say, most won't ever feel the need to touch it for the duties it will likely perform, unless very heavily loaded. It is sprung and valved very well; compliant yet firm without feeling too harsh or too soft.

Motor-wise, I was expecting the new 1380cc engine to have been cam'ed to have all bottom end grunt, and signing off early. I was wrong. I guess I should have known better, it's still a Guzzi after all I'm happy to report. The strangest part of the motor is at idle; It shakes the whole bike like the other big american twins (see video below). Perhaps a result of the single throttle body and rubber mounted engine(?). Not too much of an annoyance, just interesting. Once you pick up the throttle, all of the shake goes away. It still has plenty of valve lash clatter. The most surprising part is how quick it revs, much like the 1151cc 8V mill of the other Guzzi. As the dyno chart shows below, the bulk of the power (torque) is available just off idle, and the horsepower picks up as the revs climb. In bone stock trim, it feels great. I'd say they did a great job in giving a LOT more of what everyone is used to from the 1064cc push-rod 2VPC motor. I briefly sampled the three power modes, Rain, Standard and Race. The Rain mode was certainly softer when letting the clutch out; It flatly pulled up to redline, with little drama yet still with authority. The standard position gave noticeably more grunt from the bottom, and felt stronger through the rev range. The Race mode gave arm-straightening pull from just off idle, and the motor felt much more lively. In digging into the ECU mapping, I see most of that is largely controlled by a torque delivery percentage, coupled to the traction control. The fuel map looks to remain the same. I look forward to experimenting with these numbers.

The brakes worked extremely well, and the normal ABS pulsing was (almost) not felt at all. A large leap from not too long ago. When hard on the brakes from highway speeds, the bike decelerated extremely quick with little drama. Impressively so for such a large machine.

As for styling, it's still hit and miss for me. The "fit and finish" is definitely in line with most all others in this price-point range. Nothing seems to be out of place for lack of quality. The interesting part is that when seated, the seat to bar relationship is very similar to the older California, you just sit deeper into it, and the look of the tank from this position will seem very familiar. Only the extra forward reach to the floor-boards is different. Rumor has it they may offer foot pegs down the road. Not sure what that gets you on this model, but always good to have options.

So, this bike is definitely an answer to a question that no one asked. But, do I think that Guzzi might have hit on something special with this model? For those looking for a hot-rodded Tonti California, this is a clear miss. If you're looking for big comfort in a far more sporting platform and motor then most other big V-Twins, I think they've scored. Big. Once the hidden power is unlocked with fueling and exhaust mods, I'm sure it will only grow stronger like the other 8Vs I've done. Only the fuel tank capacity is the limiting factor for seriously big miles, as will the price be (for some) for seriously big smiles.

It's up to you if that's what you're looking for, if you're ready to ignore the past, then I say grab one. You'll love it. It's a very pleasing "sporting" Cruiser/Tourer, in only that way that Guzzi can.

Blue trace is the 1400 in Veloce mode, and a stock '09 Griso 8V in red for comparison.
file.php

Ewan speaks Guzzi and about the Cali 1400;

So Cal14

Last edited:
Mark, you would look great on the Cal 14, start saving a few pennies!

And if I can win a lottery here or there, I'll buy one too, in White!

Another small glimpse with Ewan;

[youtube]5QINicyv3Eo[/youtube]

HansP said:
Nice write-up. Picked up my 1400 Custom this Friday. Rode it nearly 1000 km's during the weekend. It's a damn good bike. Period.
GOOD on you.... i knew it would be a great motorcycle and i am glad Guzzi had the balls to make it happen...the V7 ..Griso ...Stelvio are IMO all steps in the right direction...Those that live in the past have no future :cool:
Keener

keenerkeen07 said:
HansP said:
Nice write-up. Picked up my 1400 Custom this Friday. Rode it nearly 1000 km's during the weekend. It's a damn good bike. Period.
GOOD on you.... i knew it would be a great motorcycle and i am glad Guzzi had the balls to make it happen...the V7 ..Griso ...Stelvio are IMO all steps in the right direction...Those that live in the past have no future :cool: Keener

Hey, I resemble that remark!

After having my new California Touring for almost two weeks, I really enjoyed reading your report. I couldn't be any happier with this new Guzzi. For a big touring machine Guzzi really got it right. The only complaint I have so far is no adjust ability after you set the cruise control. It's difficult to set it with your throttle thumb to the exact speed you wish to be going.

Just asking Todd

'Once the hidden power is unlocked with fueling and exhaust mods, I'm sure it will only grow stronger like the other 8Vs I've done.'

has anyone moved in this area, 'PC V', 'Air filter', 'Exhaust'

Regards

Tuono

Re: A taste of the Cal 14 - 3.15.13 Added pics. of the top

Here's a few pics. of my California from different angles with the top case installed.
1048811_10200874116888430_1984049493_o.jpg

1009757_10200874116848429_1201043893_n.jpg

1063733_10200874116928431_1566283978_o.jpg

390143_10200874116808428_2038162662_n.jpg

1040124_10200874116968432_1114244526_o.jpg

What I see is that this bike was designed with the side luggage in place - the middle split line is not making its presence at all in this configuration and the luggage optically balances the front bulges that make the unluggaged rear seem too slim in comparison, at least to my eyes. It is the first "Custom"-esque bike I sincerely like the looks with - no if and but in my head.

While visiting Thousand Oaks Moto Guzzi for recall work on my Griso (all good), Monica, the manager, twisted my arm and made me take out a California Custom for a solid 45 minute ride. My route included FWY, sweepers and tight twisties. This bike rocks! Drive train is sublime. Chassis is smooth and composed. Amazingly this beast handles! I took it up to the twisties and the bike just shrugged them off. I'm a stranger to cruisers and their foot platforms and rocker shifting. The adjustment was rapid. The upright position doesn't really suit me but i could learn to like this...this bike is just so well sorted...who knows... :D

I test rode that bike as well and I had a similar experience...
While it's not my style of bike, this thing rocks! A cruiser that you can throw in the twisties, f***** A!
It makes it more like a tourer with style.

Back