• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2010 v7C - Deformed / Swollen Tank

Gruzzer

Tuned and Synch'ed
The right side of my tank (the 2010 has the plastic tank) has become swollen / deformed so much that it touches the engine head. There is now an almond sized hole burned into the paint.

Has anyone had any luck getting Moto Guzzi / Piaggo to offer a replacement tank?

Assuming that answer is no, anyone know of the best (and hopefully cheapest) way to fix?

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 838
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    252.3 KB · Views: 837
If it's still under warranty and the dealer goes to bat for you, it is possible to get a replacement. Assuming, of course, that it wasn't caused by improper removal or installation -- they can be a bear to get properly aligned and it's sometimes a 2-3 man job or a serious wrestle with a prybar.

I had a '10 Cafe with a blocked vent line that shrank and swelled so violently at fill-ups that it developed bubbles and cracks in the paint. Got a new one and all was well.

My 09 V7 tank has swollen too. Doesn't hit the left valve cover, but it's mighty close.

Wittango is right about how hard it is to fit a tank. I always thought the jig was set up wrong at the factory, but now I'm leaning to the whole swollen tank as the issue.

FWIW, I have been down this 'swelling tank' path before. My '06 Ducati Multistrada was one of the swelling tank models. The tanks would bubble, deform, and swell after a few years. This led to a class action suite where the lawyers made big bucks, the owners were offered a replacement tank (under the guise of replacing a defective fuel pump gasket) and everyone was scratching their heads as to how such a huge mess could happen. The bottom line was that the tanks were made of nylon, which will absorb water/ethanol, I'm really not sure which, and thus the tanks expanded. Motorcycle manufacturers switched to a different type of plastic so the newer bikes do not seem to be having the same problems. Now, how does all this relate to the V7? I would think that Guzzi learned from the Ducati experience (Triumph had problems too). I'm not aware of a flood of V7 tank problems but that might just be due to the low production numbers and even lower sales to the US where we have ethanol laced gasoline. At any rate, Guzzi (PNA) is well advised to replace this tank ASAP and to hell with any warranty question.

Last week I heard that Chris Kelly is now selling replacement Multistrada tanks for $900 and they will not swell. That's great news but with a bike that has depreciated down to about $4K it's a steep price to keep a neat bike on the road.

Oh, my replacement tank was exactly like the one that swelled. I sold the bike.

Peter Y.

Peter - a couple of thoughts on differences between Ducati and Guzzi and this issue.

They're not alone with plastic tank issues - Harley saw some swelling on the XR models as well (and I'm sure there are others of which I'm not aware).

All 3 manufacturers probably used slightly different materials or processes which could account for the differences in how prevalent or bad the problems were.

It could be the much lower production numbers but honestly I've seen/heard of only a relatively handful of problems with Guzzi tanks - a couple blistered Norge/Breva's and a couple of swollen or collapsed V7s.

Guzzi addressed the V7s both with a recall that made sure the EVAP system was not obstructed (which obviously could have a negative effect on tank pressure/vacuum).

But more importantly they returned to metal tanks for the 2012+ models, which really addresses it wonderfully.

That said, they're still using plastic on most (or all?) the rest of the line, and I continue to not hear of many problems, so there are likely some differences from the start with Ducati (go back to materials or processes).

Just to add to this....
Neither Guzzi or Ducati make their own plastic tanks. They probably have Acerbis make them for them but likely spec what ever materials and grade of materials to use.
Old V11 tanks (early in the days when Guzzi switched to plastic) had issues. Some would bubble or blister, others would swell. Ethanol was usually blamed, but I live in an area where ethanol has been in use for longer than most and did not have issues for a long time. I have also owned a few different bikes with plastic tanks dating back to '95. But no Ducati's.
My experience with the newer CARC Guzzi's is they mostly work fine but DO NOT pull the gas tank with a substantial amount of fuel in it and let it sit in that condition un-mounted to the bike. The tank may lose its shape and not want to fit back on the bike. Drain the tank if it will be off the bike for any length of time.

Kev, I believe Ducati (Ascerbis?) changed from nylon to a different plastic some time around 2008 or 2009. That seems to have taken care of the swelling problem for the most part. Now, If the evap system is plugged and pressure builds or the tank is installed incorrectly I'm sure a plastic tank will be prone to deform. Can't blame the manufacturer if that happens.

I believe all the motorcycle companies learned from the Ducati experience and worked with their supplier to come up with a fix. In fact, I'm convinced enough to have bought a '12 Stelvio with a plastic tank.

Peter Y.

Yeah, that all may be true.

That said, Ducati did largely change over (at least on the Monster line) to a plastic tank COVER over the tank to help so even IF there is some swelling/deformation it's mostly cosmetic and hidden. Though I believe I've heard of some fitment problems post then too.

And the Harley XR tanks were what 2007-11 give or take?

Hopefully all manufacturers have addressed it in some way, but it seems like any 2V CARC or plastic V7 tank COULD be a victim.

FWIW my Breva 1100 tank was FINE for 4-5 years then suddenly started to show a couple of small ripples. No real idea why.

Kev M said:
Yeah, that all may be true.

That said, Ducati did largely change over (at least on the Monster line) to a plastic tank COVER over the tank to help so even IF there is some swelling/deformation it's mostly cosmetic and hidden. Though I believe I've heard of some fitment problems post then too.
The Monster tanks were covered because that plastic tank could not be painted. The first version of a non swelling plastic could not be painted, too oily? My G650GS had the same system to cover a black tank. I'm not a plastic expert but evidently the manufacturer came up with a better idea or some way to make paint bond so now we have painted tanks without the ethanol problem...at least I hope so.

Todd, your link is interesting. That's more promising than Creme or Caswell coating, two ways folks have been trying to protect their plastic tanks.

Peter Y.

i have a 2005 Ducati 1000s Multistrada and have ordered a new tank from Cycleworks ..my current tank is fine the new one is insurance ...that being said Ethanol is the culprit in the failure of tanks ...Here in Western Canada the premium is ethanol free and my Multi has been fed that since i have owned it ...
Multistrada.net has alot of information on Ethanol and the problems it causes for those that have interest ...
Pete the 08 /09 1100 tanks have failed aswell FYI ...the only cure i see for the Multi is the CW tanks ...
ok that said and done i am now wondering about my 2007 Griso i would assume that its diet of Canadian premium ethanol free fuel has helped ...but would like to know if there has been any issues with my American friends with Ethanol and the Griso tanks...?
thank you
PS love my Griso excellent stable mate to the Multi
Keener

I'm sure someone will correct me if I missed it, but I don't recall seeing a single complaint of a deformed or swollen Griso tank.

Not swelling per say but some Griso tanks were leaking fuel. Not a better problem to have lol.

My original tank swelled up pretty large, but not quite that bad. Hope you can figure something out OP, my solution was buying another tank (which was also plastic, from a local Guzzi aficionado).

If anyone wants a swollen, but-not-too-swollen, tank in white, PM me :D

Back