• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Quill end can/silencer

notasweetman

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I got a Quill silencer for my '09 Stelvio in 2010 and they kindly dyno'd it for me but only after it was fitted. I always wondered what a stock '09 would do but could never find a dyne chart until a couple of days ago.

My bike only had about 4000 miles on it so not really run in and I suspect it makes more power now than then, especially as I'm running a K&N air filter.

I compared the two charts and rather inexpertly overlaid the Quill results over the stock (from MotorcycleUsa magazine). With the Quill, peak power is down 1.18 hp and peak torque 2.27 lbw-ft up, both around 300 revs lower down. So what, I hear you say - until you look at the change in midrange! Enjoy.

Attachments

• 09_guzzi_stelvio.jpg
    09_guzzi_stelvio.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 634
  • EPSON001.JPG
    EPSON001.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 634
  • EPSON002.JPG
    EPSON002.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 634
notasweetman said:
I got a Quill silencer for my '09 Stelvio in 2010 and they kindly dyno'd it for me but only after it was fitted. I always wondered what a stock '09 would do but could never find a dyne chart until a couple of days ago.
I compared the two charts and rather inexpertly overlaid the Quill results over the stock (from MotorcycleUsa magazine). With the Quill, peak power is down 1.18 hp and peak torque 2.27 lbw-ft up, both around 300 revs lower down. So what, I hear you say - until you look at the change in midrange! Enjoy.
Thanks for posting. Different dynos (Dynojet vs. DynaPro = different numbers always), but for evaluation sake, it's fun to see.
The '09 has the A5 motor (identically shared with the Griso), while your '10 has the A8 (milder cam). The fact that it's only slightly down on peak power at wide open throttle (really, how often do you run wide open?), is very good, and the fact that it makes much more power and torque at lower RPMs/wide open throttle is good… I guess this is why they moved to the different cam on this bike. The newer A10 motor is yet even more torquey with some sacrifice of top end power. If you haven't revised the fueling, doing so will give you even bigger benefits where you ride the most. Wide open throttle won't be much different as the factory runs them quite rich there. Edit: Though based on that AFR bell curve, there's plenty to be had there too. Revised fueling will meet or exceed peak power to the stock '09. Happy to be of help direct e-mail; Todd at GuzziTech.com.

Many thanks for the reply Todd - If I weren't lately retired on a tiny pension I would invest in your fuelling goodies for christmas! And then go to Italy again, over the Alps again, and again, and again... Dreams, eh?

But just a note - mine's an A5 '09 as I said at the top of my piece - still a stunning bike. :cool:

As a comparison, my '12 NTX has the stock intake and exhaust. Re-mapped ECU gives me almost 96 RWHP @7500, 76.12 ft/lb torque @ 5700. This on a Dynojet dyno. My point is that for power the best mod is a re-flash, not changing the can or air cleaner. This setup also has my A/F at 13.0 across the board (well, until 8,000 rpm where it falls off).

Torque is 70 or better from 4,600 to 7,000 so great passing punch.

This was at 7600 miles on the engine, now at almost 13K so probably better results.

notasweetman said:
Many thanks for the reply Todd - If I weren't lately retired on a tiny pension I would invest in your fuelling goodies for christmas! And then go to Italy again, over the Alps again, and again, and again... Dreams, eh?
But just a note - mine's an A5 '09 as I said at the top of my piece - still a stunning bike. :cool:
My pleasure, and I see now how I misread the year above.
Solid gains, and far more to be had with proper fueling. Save your pennies. :pinch:

Open lid air box with a free-flow filter shows significant gains, again with corrected fueling; This with my GT-Rx muffler puts out 106 rwhp on a Dynojet 250i dyno on my '09, and over 25 lb. ft. more in the meat of the midrange. It's been compared to the newer Ducati MultiStrada type-power.

I have the Zard exhaust, airbox mod, reflash, PCV with Autotune and Todd's apparently infinite expertise and patience my 13 NTX (orange) has a huge torque increase, runs MUCH cooler, better throttle response, no surging, probably has a bunch of extra HP. Next time I can get to town I will put my bike on a DynoJet and post the results. I think anybody that is keeping their bike for several years would be way ahead by the investment in protecting their engine and the additional performance is just gravy.

What the heck is a quill end can anyway?

Jay
Southcoast

Back