• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cross-fitting Norge Scoops for Heat Management on Stelvio

leafman60

Cruisin' Guzzisti
The Stelvio is a fine motorcycle but I, and others, have noticed the heat that emanates mostly from the left cylinder onto the rider's left leg. It's not that bad and simply letting your knee move away from the tank to allow cooling air to mix between the valve cover and your leg does wonders in hot weather. At one time, I thought I'd have an EFI reflash to richen the motor and I supposed that would greatly help with the heat issue. The bike runs so well, though, that I hate to mess with the EFI.

Enter the new Norge. A friend recently bought a new Norge and I've been studying the new shrouding around the cylinder heads. The scoops integrate with the other plastic bodywork and effectively manage any heat from the cylinders.

Pictures of Norge head scoops on the Norge.

I checked the parts fiche at my local Guzzi dealer and ordered two of the scoops at about $10 each for fitment on my Stelvio. They have arrived and I've attached them.

Plastic scoops from Norge. Part numbers 883629, 883630.

I used electrical P clamps and fabricated a few simply brackets to attach the scoops to my Stelvio engine guards and cylinder. I will post additional photos with more refinements and a better guide to how I attached the pieces. I will also post additional testing on how the scoops work. We are under terrible rains at present that prevent a good road test.

Left side Stelvio with Norge scoop.

Re: Cross-fitting Norge Scoops for Heat Management on Stelvi

That inexpensive, practical mod looks like it would work well on a Griso too.

Great post . Thanks

I would be afraid it would be backing up heat into the cylinder that would otherwise be cleanly exiting thru the fins. It will be interesting to see if this might be the case in time.

leafman60 said:
I thought I'd have an EFI reflash to richen the motor and I supposed that would greatly help with the heat issue. The bike runs so well, though, that I hate to mess with the EFI.
And the benefits beyond just heat is a bigger added benefit... you don't know what you're missing (I'm surprised Doug didn't chime in); But thanks for the info/post. Certainly the new 8V is a hot mill in stock trim, and the factory chose to deal with the heat in this fashion, which they had no other choice. Certainly not one of beauty. :pinch:

Toadride said:
I would be afraid it would be backing up heat into the cylinder that would otherwise be cleanly exiting thru the fins. It will be interesting to see if this might be the case in time.

There's a lot of room under there (more pics to come). The scoops just deflect the warm air downward. The Norge apparently doesn't have any problems caused by them.

Frankenguzzis are a time honored tradition. love it.

Hey Leafman, how is the FI covers working out? We darn sure have had PLENTY of hot weather to test them out! I like the protection it appears to provide the fuel injector. What do ya think?

Jay

leafman60 said:
Toadride said:

There's a lot of room under there (more pics to come). The scoops just deflect the warm air downward. The Norge apparently doesn't have any problems caused by them.

You mean the same 8V Norge with the radiator that is larger than the Stelvio radiator, PLUS it has a fan.
Apples and oranges as far as heat management.

Wayne Orwig said:
leafman60 said:
Toadride said:

You mean the same 8V Norge with the radiator that is larger than the Stelvio radiator, PLUS it has a fan.
Apples and oranges as far as heat management.

Sensing some sarcasm........... :roll:

Can't say I am a fan of anything that could be restricting airflow on an air cooled engine. I couldn't sleep for a week after installing my new horns behind the right side panels on the 2012. As long as the air temp behind the head (in the scoops) is no hotter than without them you should be ok. Any warmer and you are affecting the normal cooling. Just be careful and keep an eye or it.

That being said, anyone ever try to install a fan on the Stelvio oil cooler. Little extra boost for those stuck in traffic kind of days........

canuck1969 said:
That being said, anyone ever try to install a fan on the Stelvio oil cooler. Little extra boost for those stuck in traffic kind of days........

Best way is to increase cooling is to increase airflow

Best way to increase airflow is to go faster :geek:

I was checking with the airflow at the back side of my cylinder head while riding today -- it is pretty minimal and i don't think these shrouds will really significantly reduce air flow -- they might even improve it by acting as scoops. Its's easy enough to check oil temperature and cylinder temperature rather than just speculating. I for one would like to see more pictures of how you mounted them. For about $20 I'm game to give them a try -- if operating temps go up I'll take them back off -- if not it's cheap relief for warm knees.

Okay, I finally got around to organizing some additional pictures of the Norge scoop installation on the Stelvio NTX.

This takes some fiddling to do.

I positioned the scoops a little more distant from the valve cover than is found on the Norge application. I wanted to fashion the scoops to pick up additional cool air and help sweep the heat rearward and downward. Also, at low speeds in the woods, I wanted to allow for acceptable convection heat escape where wind speed was not good.

I also positioned the scoops in such a way as to allow me to remove the valve covers for service without having to first remove the scoops.

As an aesthetic feature, I oriented both the left and right scoops at about the same position vis a vis the frame. Hence the riders right cylinder is slightly more forward of its scoop than is the left cylinder. This also serves some function in that it better protects the right leg from the wake of discharged heat.

On the road, I have tested the function of the scoops and they work fine. Very little heat can be detected except at the bottom of the aluminum skirts that I have attached to the bottom of the Norge scoops.

The fresh air comes in from the top and helps swirl the heated air from the head rearward and downward. A luke-warm air consisting of the head-heated air diluted with this additional fresh air is blown rearward and downward. If any warmth can be detected, it would be slightly above the rider's ankle.

These do not seem to intrude on my shin space. My leg doesn't feel them unless I scoot forward and try.

Some additional pictures of the fabrication process and final result-

I just read this post Todd. Leafman, The mods Todd has developed for this engine are fantastic!!. I carried them out one at a time on my 09 Stelvio. A big improvement was getting rid of the stock muffler and installing his slip on,big difference in the heat you feel.( no more cat converter,which resides on the left.) Next i went for the reflash big difference in how the engine responds. The owner of CorsaMeccanica here in Toronto thought I was whacked for going any further after he rode it post reflash,quite impressed with the throttle response. Next step PC-V and Auto-tune,(and airbox mod) installed those two and once the map was built up over a couple of hundred K the difference was night and day from stock. The throttle response and tractability are bang on. ( I've ridden it on hardpack dirt and gravel as well as asphalt ) It works! Despite problems I had initially with the bike,the end result is the reason I couldn't part with it. Oh yeah and heat... what heat, I don't notice anything more than any other bike I've ridden.( and I'm not sure where you are located but, trust me Toronto is hot and very humid in the summer) It was the best money I've spent in a long time.Can't recommend the mans mods strongly enough to improve the fueling on these bikes.
Doug

Well that's just plain brilliant!

I've admired the Norge and always wondered why Moto Guzzi didn't apply the heat shields on everything. I am going to do this on my 2010? You wouldn't happen to have an email'able template for the aluminum part would you :)

Aw man, no, I didn't make a keep-able template for the skirts but just did them by sight.

Updating a thread from a year ago-

I've had the scoops on my Stelvio for about a year now and they are effective in controlling heat.

The heat discharge from my NTX cylinders is not terrible without the scoops. It is mostly noticeable when my legs are tight to the tank. Riding relaxed with a little space between my legs and the tank, I barely notice anything from the heads of the motor.

(By the way, I don't see how anyone would have any problem with their knees actually touching the valve covers. I'm 6-2 and can only do that if I purposely slide forward and try. It's never happened on the trail.)

I ran the scoops all winter and into this summer. Recently, this summer, I removed them to test the effect they were having. I noticed a big difference and reinstalled them.

The scoops with my fabricated skirts do a remarkable job of diverting heat from the cylinder and cylinder head. I think a lot of this heat comes around the cylinder from the exhaust header too. A small amount of heat can be felt circulating by backdraft from the lower portion of the scoop skirts.

Anyway, any motorcycle, including my water-cooled bikes, throw off noticeable heat in the hottest part of the summer. These scoops, though, help. Also, I kinda think they clean up the look of the bike by concealing and protecting the injectors and the linkage components connected to the throttle bodies.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Guzzi eventually adopt specifically-designed scoops for the Stelvio series.

Last edited:
Updating again-

To further refine the scoop installation, I have now fitted some rubber sheet material between the top of each scoop and the motorcycle frame to better seal off heat escape and divert it downward and out under the crash bars.
This damn-near eliminates heat from the heads onto your legs.

Back