• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Roller tappet swap.

Pascal

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Coming up on my maintenance service at 36K miles...
Not a problem but my tappets went to shat on the left cylinder.
I don't really wanna use the flat tappets again so I'm contemplating swapping to the roller system...
My bike is an 09 with the A5 mill and everything would have to be replaced. Entire cam boxes and valve covers etc...

Has anyone done this on a A5 engine? I know that it's being done on the A8 when those tappets go bad...

There will be a kit for the A5 engines. Now there is only a kit for the engines that have the new model valve cover. It will take some time before they have kits for the old eingines. Maybe they make a new cam shape too to be the same as the a5 cam. To get the kit, you need to have a complete service history at a dealer. Then the dealer has to ask for the work to be approved by guzzi, before they order parts. SInce yours is to old you have to pay labour to the dealer.

Thanks Paul.
That's what I gathered from my dealer in GA.
They're about 550 miles away from me but I have a good relationship with them.
As far as labor, I do the work myself and in this instance, it's not a complicated job so I'm golden.

Pascal,
you just have to wait until they have complete kits available. And then let the dealer do the talking to piaggio. If you have the parts out now, they want clear pictures of the damaged parts

Paul, I know what you're talking about.
I disassembled the bike a week ago, the same day that I heard the tappet making funky music...
I did send them (the dealer) pictures of the damage so we're building my case if I may say.
They're handling it for me and as far as Piaggio in concerned, the bike is down until further notice.
In the meantime, I already have a set of stock tappets and cams coming next week so the bike will be back together again and on the road pronto.
When the kit comes out, I'll get it.

Been running the bike with a used cam and tappet since Saturday...
Went on a ride Sunday and checked the valves Monday morning.
Exhaust side was dead on but the intake was way off, lol. Like 0.21!!
Don't make sense but then again, it's used and unmatched components.
Checked the valves again today and they're in specs.
Everything's OK so far but I'm not pushing it past 5000rpm until I got about 500 miles on those parts.

Mixing cams and tappets is a big nono in my book so I'm curious to see how long they'll last...

Back