• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Lift for a Griso?

bigdog1001

Just got it firing!
Want to get the bike in the air to do maintenance and extra detailing......but given that the engine is a load bearing frame component.......is a lift table the only option?

I have looked at some of the jacks that are 75% cheaper but I don't think that will work?

A lift table look great but then you still need some type of support to take the wheels off (front or back).

Thoughts?

I'd recommend looking at Pit Bull stands; http://www.pit-bull.com/motorcycle-stands.shtml
They have a fork/front end lift that is very good, and you can pop off the rear center cover of the wheel, and measure the rear center hole to see if Charlie and the boys have or will make you a pin for the "one arm" stand for the rear. Post again if they do.

Then I am on the right track I have the hybrid Pit Bull front stand and also the Guzzi service stand...I will contact the Pit Bull guys about a rear. Thanks!

bigdog1001 said:
Then I am on the right track I have the hybrid Pit Bull front stand and also the Guzzi service stand...I will contact the Pit Bull guys about a rear. Thanks!
If you're using the factory stand, would you need the rear? Note that you can't pull the rear wheel when using the stand.

I've been using a Becker Technik stand for the past year. First few times had me wondering just how stable the bike would be, since the contact points on the bike are relatively small bolt heads. I mentioned this on WG and received several favorable comments (about the operation of the lift) from other users.

a- no need for a front stand
b- easy for one person to use
c- permits access to the rear wheel while on the Becker stand
d- a small scissors jack under the sump gets both wheels off the ground.

I use it primarily when cleaning the pesky but lovely wire wheels, and when I remove the wheels to take them to the tire shop ............ and when I do oil changes ..........

Per the instructions that come with the lift, I don't sit on the bike when it is on the stand.

I see no reason this couldn't be used in conjunction with a large lift table. One of these days I'll have to break down and get one of those, too. Too old to be doing this work at garage floor level!

Here's a couple of pics of the stand and the Griso.

Hi,
ohiorider said:
Per the instructions that come with the lift, I don't sit on the bike when it is on the stand.

I see no reason this couldn't be used in conjunction with a large lift table. One of these days I'll have to break down and get one of those, too. Too old to be doing this work at garage floor level!
Hi,
like Ohiorider I also use the "Becker Technik" Stand.
A reliable and good stand, although I made a few modifications with the bobbins.
I made them larger, so it worked more safe.
It is that safe, I can sit on my bike with the bike on the stand. No problem.
I wrote about it in this topic:
https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/188/57 ... ce%20stand
I also use it when my G12 is on my large lift table. I always secure it a bit more with:
wheelwrench_zps43a1323f.jpg

I do that in this way... The fabulous legs belong to the model... me. :mrgreen:
DSCF3753_zps50c486c5.jpg

And in this way I use the same Wheel Wrench to secure the bike.
Not even a earthquake wil get my G12 from the stand... ;)
DSCF3755_zps0be10354.jpg

It is a easy and secure stand to lift your Griso.
Although I need to think of another way to lift my G12 because I want to check the bearings of the swing arm coming winter.
I think a combination of a front wheel clamp
212591_parkeerklem_1.jpg
+ lifting at the rear frame.
And securing him with a few ratched straps.

Ad B

I have a Baxley chock for parking and have always used Pitbull front and rear stands for the Ducatis.

Last week I contacted Pitbull about a rear stand for the Griso ( they make one for the V7) and sent some pictures.

Contact them at info@pit-pull.com. Having a few more requests might nudge them a little.

Jim

I will send in a note to Pit-Bull as I also have the front stand from them. Hey that lift table looks great....as for the legs, well the clogs are nice! :roll:

Thanks very helpful.

To have both wheels off the ground at the same time, just jack the bike up a little under the sump using a trolley jack and a sturdy short piece of wood. e.g. a piece of scaffolding plank, and when its up a few inches, support the wood either side of the bike, this leaves the bike upright with the front wheel a couple of inches off the floor. Then use the jack to give a slight lift to the rear suspension linkage and voila! the bike is supported enough to take both wheels off at the same time.
Cost me nothing, having both wheels off the ground.............Priceless! :D
Bike is currently sitting like this until the winter is over.

Back