• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Exhaust Header Questions

Charlie J

Cruisin' Guzzisti
The headers on my 2006 1100 Griso rattle.It is most notable around 3600 RPM to 4000 RPM in 3rd,around town speeds. I always warm the bike up while I put on my helmet and gloves.If the warm up period is shortened or give it more revs quicker once under way the rattle is worse. If I rev through the above revs it is more a buzzing noise. It is not as noticeable in top gear.
I asked Mario from Thunderbikes (W.A.Australia) about it and hes heard a few twin skinned header bikes do it. He said to drill a 6 mm hole on the underside of each header (so it wont be seen) and get it Tig welded so as to plug the hole thus securing the inner to the outer. I did this and bingo no rattle.......for a while.
At the time I was concerned that the different expansion rates of the Inner and Outer may lead to cracking. I purchased a cheap bore inspection camera from Aldi and have tried to look for cracks in the inner but could not see any.It is difficult to get a thorough look due to the shape of the pipes.
However at the collector pipe end of each header there is a build up of carbon on the inside of the outer pipe. There is a space between the end of the inner pipe and the carbon, the right side is about 1.5 mm and the left its 3.5 mm. I assume that the right side would not move so much due to its shape prior to the last section of pipe. More than happy to be corrected if that's wrong.
Does anybody know of any sort of filler that could be put between the inner and outer pipes?
Is there single skin headers that could be used instead of the OEM ones?
If I made single skin pipes do you think it would be detrimental to performance as the exhaust gas would be cooler and not move so fast? Thank you for your help. Charlie.

Charlie J said:
Is there single skin headers that could be used instead of the OEM ones?
If I made single skin pipes do you think it would be detrimental to performance as the exhaust gas would be cooler and not move so fast? Thank you for your help. Charlie.
Charlie, only one special order full system I'm aware of from Arrow. I've been considering doing a header offering as well to my slip-on systems. We've done one already in stainless, but we didn't jig it, just built in place. There should be zero performance issues with replacing the stock headers as the inner pipe diameter is the only real importance. Hope that helps, and let me know if you'd be interested in a set.

You may also want to check the mount that supports the exhaust system located under the bike. Here's a pic of mine before being replaced at 6500 miles. It made very loud noises, as the two pieces where cracked rubbed together. A good tech indicated he'd seen this on more than one Griso. One bike had cracked this mount a second or third time.

Bob

Charlie, If you fancy a ride to Brisbane, Peter Gray from Pipemaster could build you a set on the bike. Send you back home with your stock pipes while the headers are being ceramic coated/polished etc, then ship them to you.
Ph (07) 3252 3939.

He built the full system on Bella.
I've got stock headers from the Bellagio, if they're the same part # he could even use them as a pro-former to have your new pipes partially constructed before you arrive.

Have recently purchased the GTRX underbody Ti system, which includes Y pipe. Have not yet fitted it, but will get around to it sooner or later. Will consult Todd about my PCV mapping then. So Todd, I am interested in a set of Stainless, or even Titanium headers for my G8V, that will slot perfectly onto my purchased system above.

You can get rolls of aluminum tape to wrap around the ends of connections. I've used it on mufflers and worn out exhaust ports. Works pretty well. Also, some silicone sealer for exhausts doesn't hurt either.
As for double walled exhaust pipes cracking, that has to be a very rare occurrence. I've heard of a lot more muffler internals breaking up than pipes.
But, yeah, checking mounting brackets could prove beneficial.
Bare

Thanks for the replies.I contacted Peter Gray, a Mk3 owner,and he has been very helpful. I do not think my pipe(s) are cracked,but think that when hot the inners are contacting the outers. The movement marks at the ends (on the inside of outer) lead me to this conclusion. The brackets have nothing to do with it, there are none. The bike has made this noise since he was 2 to 3 years old,I blamed the headlight .
Fair enough ,matched header lengths is not important. But what about the shape and lengths before any bends in the pipe at the port? Shouldn't that be the same ? Thank you.

Back