• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stelvio issues

Moto Ron

Just got it firing!
I took my 2009 Stelvio (new to me with 18,000 miles)into the local dealer to have the valves adjusted and efi synced. they called me later and said the bike had some issues. The first being that the axle clamp on the left fork was cracked from possible over tightening. Also excessive noise in the left cylinder. They are going to diagnose that and get back to me.

After reading the issues with cams I'm really nervous!
Anyone out there heard about the fork issue and over tightening the pinch bolt at the axle?

This is my first Guzzi and may be my last. Should I have them reassemble it and just dump it?

I would appreciate any input that anyone would have.

The broken axle clamp is a know issue. There is a long thread or threads on this. The newer Stelvios have a redesigned clamp. As for the excessive noise on the left, wish you luck.

Yet again another potential issue with the cams and it's the left side again...wierd :S

I had the same issue with the fork leg ,reckon it was overtightened when i got new tyres fitted but ended up costing a new fork leg... :(
as for the left cylinder noise ,would like to know the outcome of that one mate.

I'd like to hear also regarding your left cylinder noise -- mine's at the dealer's now for the same diagnostic.

Mohawkeye, I hope it's not serious. What year is your Stelvio and what mileage has it covered?

Got the Stelvio back from the dealer last Friday afternoon. It's an '09 and has ~47,500 miles (76,400km). At first the mechanic thought there may be a burnt valve, but that wasn't the case. They replaced two valve lifters and one cam, and with an oil change the cost was under 4 figures ($). Unfortunately, they had no answer for what caused the damage on the replaced lifters and cam, but I could clearly see the damage (pics to follow, as soon as I get off my ass and get out the camera). The engine's running well again!

Mike, bummer... which side/cylinder? What was the date of manufacture on your bike?

mohawkeye said:
Todd, it was the left side. And I can't remember where to find the build date :oops:

There is a number before the letter"M" in the vin number, i.e. 8 0r 9. This is the year built, 2008 or 2009.

Ray.

There is a kit coming from the factory to replace the cam box to a roller version. Owners of older out of warranty bikes will only have to pay labor to install. Parts will be covered by Guzzi.

That kit is for the A8 engines... 2010 and up because they have the correct valve cover and spark plug tube.
For the earlier A5, the kit is not out yet...

What about the 2012 AC engines with flat tappets. From what I have read the AC engine was built for roller tappets and easy to modify. Will the kit cover these also.

Actually you're right, the kit is made for those late model flat tappets engines.
You have to have a failure though, for Guzzi to front you those parts...

Very good news indeed. I have contacted a dealer to see what the cost of supply only will be. I beleive my bits are still o.k but for peace of mind......

My rollers have now covered more miles than the original flat tappets and there has been no change in my bikes usage just carried out a service and the valve clearences have not changed after the initial bedding in period that would be about 10k miles without adjustment just checking which I find encouraging. After I have stopped taking the bike to the dealer I have not ( dare I say it ) had any more issues at all and all is rosey.

Yeah, that is something I like to see...
Too early yet, but I can't help to wonder how the roller bikes will cope with higher mileage.
Like 60K miles and up...

mrcanns said:
My rollers have now covered more miles than the original flat tappets and there has been no change in my bikes usage just carried out a service and the valve clearences have not changed after the initial bedding in period that would be about 10k miles without adjustment just checking which I find encouraging. After I have stopped taking the bike to the dealer I have not ( dare I say it ) had any more issues at all and all is rosey.
If I may ask, what was to cost from flat ro roller?

Back