• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Gearbox clunk

roddi

Just got it firing!
My 2008 8V has a very bad clunk going into gear then on and of acceleration it is quite scary, not annoying just scary, It has 24000 k on the clock, I don't know where to start driveshaft, gearbox, clutch? I can fix it myself but a point in the right direction would be appreciated

Well thank god it's only scary and not bothersome. ;)

Might sound like a weird direction to take this in, but a lot of the low-speed clunkiness in my G11 went away when I installed the O2 Optimizer (that Todd makes) that came with my PC-5. It smoothed out the fueling at lower RPMs and so the ECU isn't hunting around for the ideal fuel mix causing surging. At least that's how I understand it. Mr. Roper and many others know this stuff better. Anyway, it worked wonders to eliminate the 20-30 mph clunkiness/jerkiness in the driveline of my bike.

Can't help you on the shift clunkyness. As was said, they clunk. Aand as my buddy who switched from Kawasakis to a Harley XR1200 told me after trying my bike, "You think your transmission's clunky, you should try my bike."

I read on the Dutch Guzzi Forum MGCN that some guys replaced the rubber bushing in the push/pull rod that connects the bevel drive to the frame, with a later&stiffer part. Supposedly a cheap fix that in their experience fixed the on/off throttle feel at low speeds as well. Maybe worth a try?
JR

Here the item I mentioned in the previous post.

Guzzi part nr 883045

Attachments

• DSCF4267.jpg
    DSCF4267.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,316
After reading the post again on the Dutch site: they replaced the front bushing(frame side) on Breva's and Norge's with the bushing of the Stelvio. The 1200Sport seems to have that version too.

Thanks to everyone, I couldn't get the rubber front mount but replaced it with std, also put a 25mm o'ring either side to stop anything touching metal to metal, presto only clicks instead of clunks, I'm in love again

Can't imagine how the old bush absorbed much shock, replaced it with the new style and now Bella's slick changes have been restored.

I'm going to replace this on my 05 Breva this winter when I do the swing arm bearings and suspension linkage.

Just to be clear, is it just the frame mounting end of the tie rod or both frame and carc ends that need replacing?

Is getting the old one(s) out easy enough? The tie rod has a split in it so trying to push it out might crush the ends.

Thanks
Iain

Hi. I suggest getting the parts first and with suitable sise sockets , use the vice and just press them out.
They should not be hugely tight and are the same on both ends.
I have not done any other guz link bushes yet but have done others similar(BMW). You wont distort the arm.
Cheers

iainw said:
Is getting the old one(s) out easy enough? The tie rod has a split in it so trying to push it out might crush the ends.Iain

I watched as the mechanic used a press, he wasn't happy that the rod halves wanted to flex/crush. He found some flat steel of the appropriate thickness and wedged them in the slot, either side of the bush. Thus the eyes of the two rod halves remained in alignment.

ghezzi said:
iainw said:
Is getting the old one(s) out easy enough? The tie rod has a split in it so trying to push it out might crush the ends.Iain

I watched as the mechanic used a press, he wasn't happy that the rod halves wanted to flex/crush. He found some flat steel of the appropriate thickness and wedged them in the slot, either side of the bush. Thus the eyes of the two rod halves remained in alignment.

Thanks, I'll get one on order and have a go during the winter.

Done it, it's not difficult even with basic tools.

Packed the gap in the bar. I pushed the middle bit out first, then a bit of heat and using the silent block pushed the old tube out and the new part in.

Iain

When new they don't cause a clunk at all, they prevent it.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn ............................. I wish!

Just another consumable of the modern era

Back