• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Continental Conti-Motion Tire Review

wallycycle

Tuned and Synch'ed
Installed a set of Conti Motions on my Griso 8V to check the bang for buck. Fantastic handling (much better than the original OEM Qualifiers) and stick like glue. Rear tire is $80 cheaper than mainline rubber. Great feedback and neutral steering. HOWEVER, REAR worn to wear markers on the sides after 2500 miles of use, same as the rear Qualifier. Front still looks almost new. (Guzzis and BMWs seem to be hard on rear tires, regardless brand relative to "normal" bikes, ie non-shaft, Husky SM610 excepted). Have also tried a Bridgestone BT-23 on the Griso and Breva as they are a main line tire that is about $40 cheaper than the known brands. Rear also lasted just under 3K on both bikes. Would I buy the Conti again: yes. Mainline tires are almost twice as much but I doubt I'll get twice the wear. (I mount my own tires so mounting cost is not an issue). Next I'll try a set of Shinko Ravens to see if I get any better mileage and decent handling. Price is about the same as the motions. I tried a set of Michelin Road 3 on my GS 1200 and the rear was shagged at 2700 miles. For reference, I ride when not touring with about 20 lbs of crap in the top box and panniers and the rider weighs 180 geared up and I never ride with a pax.

Tire wear is very subjective. I am coming up on 7,000 miles on the stock Metzlers and they still look good. The rear is just starting to square off due to a lot of freeway miles I have been racking up. I will most likely spoon on some new rubber come the spring but I haven't decided what to buy yet.

Glad to hear an opinion from someone else's on those Conti...
I have them on the G11 wife's bike and she got about 4500 miles out of them vs 6500 for the Dunlop Qualifier.
They grip just as good as the Dunlops we've been using so the money saved is kinda moot since the mileage is reduced.

I just installed the B23 on my G12 and we'll see if I get more than 3K, lol.
The best tire I've mounted was the Dunlop Roadsmart... I got 8K miles out of that tire but of course, they discontinued it to the Roadsmart 2 and that tire life spam was half of it, bullshit!! There are no reasons why a sport motorcycle tire shouldn't go to 10K miles, they don't give us enough rubber that's all.
Next I'm mounting the Conti Trail Attack at the back, not kidding!
They make our size now (180-55/17) and it retails at $205 shipped at CompAccessories.
We'll see.

Tires are indeed subjective opinions.
I'm happy to see opinions posted on brands I'd never try to see how they work for others.
I have ridden and raced for decades now on Dunlops, and wouldn't deviate, period. The Roadsmart II's give more traction then anyone here would likely ever need, and wear quite well even when beat on hard (track days for some) and super fast riding in the canyons. I completely wear out the sides (to bald), and the centers look like new. I might try a set of the new Q3's on my Grisos next to see how they work. I personally would never ride on Shinko or similar as I have sampled them on other bikes I've worked on, and no thanks... Not confidence inspiring for how I ride, so little at even 20% of a normal pace for me.

I agree tire handling traits are very subjective as suspension settings etc... However a tire reduced to its wear indicators is not a matter of interpretation. It's just plain worn out. Of course there are many variables affecting tire wear that got it to that state.

As another point of reference: I've never gotten more than 5k out of any rear tire/bike combination since the early 90's. I guess that's why I'm always so amazed and jealous of the relative high tire mileage experiences expressed. I wish I knew what I was doing wrong.

wallycycle said:
I guess that's why I'm always so amazed and jealous of the relative high tire mileage experiences expressed. I wish I knew what I was doing wrong.

It's not that hard. Some riders are hard on acceleration and braking, others do things more smoothly. Many other influences, such as road surface, and weight are beyond your control. Keeping the tire pressures constant and high will also help.

Usually those who wear out tires quickly also get poor gas mileage. Just my observation.

You guys are right... Tire wear is so subjective it ain't funny.
I agree with Todd that Dunlops feel just right, they simply grab. On the track, that would be the only tire for me.
Best tire I put on the Griso so far but I like to try different Brands when price is appealing, like a set of Conti Motion for $179.
I guess I was getting spoiled in getting 8K miles out of the Roadsmarts which I can't longer do.
Same riding habits, same trips in the Mountains etc...

Stevie said:
Todd, we should swap takeoffs. :mrgreen:
Heh, many have said we should offer a swap program. Hmmm.

Back