• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Riding in Hot weather

MrGPz

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
What type of protective gear do you use in hot weather?
As a minimum i will wear jeans, leather jacket, boots, gloves, even around town.
It does get a bit warm.
I have seen people in singlet, shorts and jandals, which is great till you have a fall or even put your foot down before you've completely stopped, i've seen jandals ripped like this.

It's your body, do as you wish. Unlike helmets, protective jackets, trousers, gloves or boots are not a legal requirement in New Zealand, YET!

Enjoy the opportunity to make a choice while you still can.

Have survived with jeans, work boots gloves & a Joe Rocket textile jacket for many years, but not tested any of them since my race accident in 2004 (Fri 13th). Even full leathers are no match for a concrete wall .................. Ouch!

Been considering my age with slower reflexes and increasing inability to bounce and recover, so looking closely at vented leather products for our Qld summer, or restrict my riding to winter when I can be comfortable with a t-shirt and full leathers.

Mine go from ATGATT in the winter to tennies, gloves and Davida Porridge Pot in the hot summer.. Maybe a vented jacket if it's under 90.
Bare

I always wear full gear even in the hot soupy weather, usually a vented jacket with armor, riding boots, vented mc pants, vented gloves and full face helmet. For longer rides I throw on the camelback with ice water as well.

MrGPz said:
What type of protective gear do you use in hot weather?

What a cruel question just now for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere. :p

That said, as it allows me to at least dream about riding, I'll respond that I always wear ATGATT, even in the hottest weather (which I actually avoid if I can).

I do shift to mesh jacket and perfed gloves when the heat really builds, but I've found that I am cooler, especially in the sense of staving off engine heat, when wearing leather or textile pants. I don't like the "air" variety on pants or boots.

OK, dream's over; back to hauling firewood up from the rick. :laugh:

Bill

I also am an ATGATT rider. In summer it is mesh Kevlar with body armor from these guys. http://www.motoport.com/ and in cold weather their woven Kevlar with linings. Also in summer I use Held riding glove and BMW waterproof boots year round. I've been riding long enough to know it is worth using only quality riding gear. No cheap stuff for me, it doesn't do as advertised, I have pictures of failed gear to prove it.

ATGATT. Mostly. :cool:

When it's over 32 degrees here I try NOT to ride. I have one of those Ixon jackets with the removable panels for summer with mesh front and back and in the arms, which is fine at highway speeds, but around town you don't get up to enough speed for the wind blast to do any cooling. Any hotter than that, forget it!

For highway riding I always wear Jeans with the kevlar panels, gloves and boots. Sometimes I might simply wear normal jeans and runners around town, but always with jacket and gloves. I see some idiots wearing t-shirts and shorts, but I won't do that ever again. I have scars on my back to remind me of why.

Back