• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Lemans V Throttle variant.

Supaflee

Cruisin' Guzzisti
The throttle on my Lemans spans from idle , with the original 40mm Dellorto's , to fully open in I/4 of a turn .
But , my wrists are dying .
Is there a model of twist grip that will alter the ratio to say half a full turn?
Please only reply to this question if you are able to give me information that guarantees the correct result .
Supaflee

My lemans V is a half turn - it is bog standard so I expect that someone has fitted a 1/4 turn Magura or some other aftermarket grip.

From what I have been told Guzzi fitted extremely heavy springs at the advice of liability lawyers. The throttle pull can be much improved by fitting the lightest dellorto springs available. Also check the cables - they should not be oiled as the oil will expand the inner nylon linerand cause them to bind. I made up some teflon cables and that seems to help.

Some people remove the crank tops and replace them with the standard 'bent tube' tops with the claim that it reduces the amount of pull - haven't noticed that it helps. some people also remove the return spring on the crank arm.

On my Mk V I went to an internal spring (light) and removed the heavy external spring. I did keep the bell crank as I don't think there is enough room for the curved tops and it keeps replacement cables easy as they are still stock.

My experience with a Mk V (which extended to over 170,000 Km) included many attempts to reduce the throttle effort required. The results were usually either no or little reduction in effort or the carburetor slides would hold up under deceleration (throttle closed, but engine still under power), ie not enough spring pressure to overcome the vacuum in the inlet tracts.

Subsequently, I changed the camshaft to modified profile that had increased lift and duration, in particular more overlap between exhaust and inlet. This resulted in considerably less vacuum on over-run and resulted in a considerable reduction in the required return spring. I ended up with standard dellorto internal springs, with several loops removed, but retained the OEM bellcrank. A quarter turn Tommaselli throttle was then fitted, which still required less effort than the original OEM one.

skorpion said:
the carburetor slides would hold up under deceleration (throttle closed, but engine still under power), ie not enough spring pressure to overcome the vacuum in the inlet tracts.

That is exactly what I found! If you go to light springs be very aware of the potential change in engine braking. It's not something to discover at an inappropriate moment. :oops:

I've went to the lightest springs available and no bell cranks (flat tops) with a 2C. Not had any problem.

I also used the 90 deg bearings for the carb tops from Moto Spezial. This then meant I had to make thin cables so I used bicycle gear cables, these are a bit stiffer than a normal cable and can be pushed a little to force the slide, although of course there is a limit.

My throttle is way lighter than stock. HOWEVER when experimenting with this sort of thing I would recommend that having a kill switch and test it before going out on your first run.

The ignition key can seem a long way away with the bike going full chat. :shock:

Just my experience

John

This forum is sooooo damn cool for this very reason. I'm listening , I'm listening , and the feedback is from riders that have had the experience , without the BS .
Im real grateful to all of you . Today I'll be speaking with a local Guzzi nut , Ill ask him if he's got any springs I can try , I havnt taken the tops off my carbs yet , but I will as the day goes on .
Thanks Dudes.
Regards Supaflee

Back